RUMOR: Disney Buying Hasbro?

Prototype82

I never understood the My Little Pony fad and their tattoos on their behind.

And all the little girls that want to be just like their favorite My Little Pony will be getting Disney Tramp Stamps right on Main Street
They're not tattoos. They're called cutie marks. They appear on any filly or foal when they've found their special talent. It's a coming of age thing.

....I've said too much.

MerlinTheGoat

Interesting. But they're not voiced by Tara Strong. ;)
No, no they aren't. Thank god too. They just serve as your battle partners. The only noise they make are ones you'd expect the animal to make.

I actually like the weird rainbow colors of them in the game. It actually kind of reminds me of the original Imagination ride (particularly the white room where rainbows shine over the scenery).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Pixar and Lucasfilm I understand and approve of but I have to admit I am still completely baffled by the Marvel acquisition 3 years after the fact. When you look at it logically it does not make much sense. Sure, Disney gets marketable well-known characters and more cred with the male demographic but you end up with legal headaches such as Sony's ownership of the Spider Man films and the other various studios' marvel films, an entire land themed to the Marvel characters at a theme park with whom you are supposed to be competing limiting your ability to use the IP in your own park and if the Hasbro deal goes through you might find yourself marketing other studios' work. The minuses outweigh the plusses no matter how Iger tries to spin it.

Pretty much any IP your acquire these days is going to come with it's share of legal issues. Look at Lucasfilm, competing TV network currently has broadcast rights to the Clone Wars series, competing comic book company distributes Star Wars comic books, 20th Century Fox has rights to A New Hope, Parmount has rights to Indy, and I am sure there are others.

jdmdisney99

So if you practically combined all of the money Disney spent on Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and possibly Hasbro, do you think Disney could have bought Universal?

GLaDOS

So if you practically combined all of the money Disney spent on Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and possibly Hasbro, do you think Disney could have bought Universal?

They could have bought it with the money they spent on one of them.

But Disney isn't interested in running theme parks.

John

For me this is disturbing on other fronts and actually depressing. Just more reinforcement of the notion that Disney is no longer about doing it right. For so long what ever Disney did it was of the utmost importance to do it right. High quality, the "Disney" way. Now, it is obvious that it is simply just about making money. Nothing wrong with that....that is what buisnesses.....well, supposed to do. But DIsney did that in a way that had a buisness model, a phlosophy. This no longer exsist. As WDW fans we have seen this happen in the parks.

It's actually sad. Is this Iger's legacy ? I guess it isnt about what his legacy with the Disney brand faithful but with wallstreet and the board of directors. The company is alread a huge monolith. The thing is something this huge eventually has huge problems. At one time the parks were somewhere near the top on the list of companies that Disney owned. Now where do you think the parks are listed on the list of priorities?

John

They could have bought it with the money they spent on one of them.

But Disney isn't interested in running theme parks.

I agree with this as support in my last post. I think that if Disney could "dump" the parks they would. First I dont think anyone would buy them now. Think about it......the legal liability for a theme park must be incredible. The theme parks were designed and built in a different time....a different culture. Think about what the liabilities must go with having so many employees ? Maintaining the infrastucture for a resort the size of WDW is not unlike a small city. ( people wonder why it is so exspensive to visit?). In this economic climate its no longer about customer service.....customer satisfaction. Its about .....sadly the bottom line.

Disneyfan_76

For me this is disturbing on other fronts and actually depressing. Just more reinforcement of the notion that Disney is no longer about doing it right. For so long what ever Disney did it was of the utmost importance to do it right. High quality, the "Disney" way. Now, it is obvious that it is simply just about making money. Nothing wrong with that....that is what buisnesses.....well, supposed to do. But DIsney did that in a way that had a buisness model, a phlosophy. This no longer exsist. As WDW fans we have seen this happen in the parks.

It's actually sad. Is this Iger's legacy ? I guess it isnt about what his legacy with the Disney brand faithful but with wallstreet and the board of directors. The company is alread a huge monolith. The thing is something this huge eventually has huge problems. At one time the parks were somewhere near the top on the list of companies that Disney owned. Now where do you think the parks are listed on the list of priorities?

I completely agree, but sadly, what is the point of maintaining those business practices when we have diluted product in the form of direct to video sequels. For that matter, disney seems to be perfectly happy with stamping its name on any old product that is made in china, never mind the quality. This has been going on for quite some time. Not to say that disney doesn't still make quality goods, products and content, it's just that those get lessened when seen next to the other masses.

MerlinTheGoat

Quick, someone photoshop vader with mickey ears riding my little pony and meme that bad boy....
We should have Mickey Mouse himself, only inside Darth Vader's suit and mask (with mouse ears and a tail of course, riding a pony like it's some mighty war horse. In one hand he holds a lightsaber, in the other he has either Capt America's shield or Thor's hammer. Indy's whip strapped to his belt for good measure. It would be quite the mishmash and look completely over-bloated with items, but that's the point. :p

I suck at image editing though so someone else will have to do it.

MasonDuo

I assume Disney is talking to hasbro about the rights over making toys for star wars. Hasbro has the exclusive toy rights until 2020 (some reports state 2018-2020), I can't see Disney buying hasbro. So maybe hasbro wants to extend or maybe Disney wants to to buy it or make some changes to the original agreement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom