Rumor: Details on Disney's Hollywood Adventure

WDWLover#1

The only thing I didn't like from the article is the potential axing of Illuminations.
7m.jpg
Yep Steve Davison is working on a new illuminations. Look for it next year.

Captain Neo

Well if a $3B (or more) budget can't get you interested, I don't know what to tell you.

That $3B isn't so impressive when you factor in demolish costs and inflation.

The Avatar project at DAK is actually more impressive because almost all the money spent will show once the place opens since the bulk of it was built on virgin land. Just like with Cars Land in CA.

AJO

I hate to be the "but Universal. . . " guy but. . .

While $3 billion is an exciting amount of money being injected, it's spread over 10 YEARS! Universal has publicly committed to $1 billion a year, for the next ten years, so safe guess is $3-4 billion for each USF and IOA - and US has a fraction of the income to reinvest that WDW does. $3 billion is going to work wonders, but it's what they should've been doing already to a park that has left to fallow for a decade.

In short, $300 million a year is welcome news and god knows desperately needed, but it's pennies to the mouse.

PhotoDave219

While $3 billion is an exciting amount of money being injected, it's spread over 10 YEARS! Universal has publicly committed to $1 billion a year, for the next ten years, so safe guess is $3-4 billion for each USF and IOA - and US has a fraction of the income to reinvest that WDW does. $3 billion is going to work wonders, but it's what they should've been doing already to a park that has left to fallow for a decade.

In short, $300 million a year is welcome news and god knows desperately needed, but it's pennies to the mouse.

First it's five years, not 10.

And at least Universal Fans an recognize a steaming pile of crap on the Internet and judge it accordingly.

CaptainAmerica

Where, exactly, has Universal publicly committed to that ridiculous number?

Kman101

So now we have three threads on the park formerly known as MGM and it's rebranding?

And that article leaves me underwhelmed. I hope plans have shifted. I'm sure they have. No, I haven't read all the pages of this thread. I will.

Capsin4

That $3B isn't so impressive when you factor in demolish costs and inflation.

The Avatar project at DAK is actually more impressive because almost all the money spent will show once the place opens since the bulk of it was built on virgin land. Just like with Cars Land in CA.

I'm not worried about demo costs. 500 million to build Pandora, 100 million to build EE. 1.1 billion for DCA make over that brought in 5 new rides a new show and impressive retheming. 2 billion for Star Wars and Pixar, done well, would be well beyond that. 1+ billion to rip stuff down is just mind bogging. Much cheaper to demo than build. No way I even see it being 1/3 of the project even with infrastructure additions.

Capsin4

I really hope Dagobah is an old idea or that it's just wrong. IMO Dagobah makes no sense as a first or main destination. There's nothing there significant enough compared to the alternatives. The Tatooine idea makes the most sense...the cantina is pretty much a must, there's the Hutts, the pod racing arena, the mos eisley spaceport and indigenous life like Jawas, Sand people, Bantas and dewbacks. I know they're rumored to be focusing on the new movies, but this is essential Star Wars to me. Star Tours is a perfect tie-in with the ME spaceport.

I know the rumor of carsland was supposedly squashed because of land use issues, but if Tatooine is the route taken, Carsland wouldn't work IMO. I wouldn't want to see two large lands that are essentially desert in the same park. Also, RSR would make a nice transition to a pod racer ride. Not sure why, but something like that that can take advantage of the area theming and maybe add to guest excitement by pulling in spectators (even if it's just pod racers zipping through the area) would seem more likely than a bike coaster IMO.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm not worried about demo costs. 500 million to build Pandora, 100 million to build EE. 1.1 billion for DCA make over that brought in 5 new rides a new show and impressive retheming. 2 billion for Star Wars and Pixar, done well, would be well beyond that. 1+ billion to rip stuff down is just mind bogging. Much cheaper to demo than build. No way I even see it being 1/3 of the project even with infrastructure additions.

,.. and even though Carsland was built in a parking lot, the rest of the DCA makeover did require a lot of demolition so its not that far off from what is likely to happen in DHS.

HauntedMansionFLA

It's better to have 3 billion compared to zero dollars.

Brer Panther

So...say they keep the Muppet Courtyard as is and expand Pixar back by TSMM/Backlot Tour, Pizza Planet will seem even more out of place than it does now. Would they retheme it? Or leave it alone and just ignore the inconsistency? Or do they open a new one (hopefully more like the one in Toy Story because that restaurant has always been a massive disappointment but anyway) back by the new Pixar area? Or what if they do get rid of Muppet Vision and the courtyard becomes Star Wars. Kind of the same thing. Do they recreate Pizza Planet with (hopefully) better theming?

If they keep the Muppets, they could revive that Muppet-themed restaurant idea they had planned. If not, it could make a nice Mos Eisley Cantina.

The article only raised two concerns for me. First, I hope we are getting a JII 4.0 and not a new IP. Second, if Illuminations is replaced, the replacement better not be Frozen Showcase: Elsa Ices the World.

Don't believe the hype. Don't fall for click-bait.

Disney's Hollywood adventure? Unlikely.

Muppets? No word either way.

Frozen? Staying for as long as at least the next movie.

Indy? Pipe dream. 15 year old pipe dream. They're not going to drop a 15 year old attraction into a dated and quiet property like Indy, especially since they haven't had a successful film since Holy Grail.

TSPL? We're still not sure if that is what "Pixar" means.

Figment/inside out? Again, nobody has heard anything within the budgetary process.

Remember the track record people on this site have vs .... Well everyone else. People come here to get what's really happening.

And what's really happening? At least $3B. Star Wars. Pixar. Nothing else has been leaked through the usual sources....

Okay, new theory... They're just gonna keep closing attractions and it's gonna take, like, nine years for them to actually start construction.

I hate to be "that guy", but this is clearly Bob Iger's fault. Notice how the process of building things at the pace of a turtle began when he became the CEO.

PhotoDave219

If they keep the Muppets, they could revive that Muppet-themed restaurant idea they had planned. If not, it could make a nice Mos Eisley Cantina.

Okay, new theory... They're just gonna keep closing attractions and it's gonna take, like, nine years for them to actually start construction.

I hate to be "that guy", but this is clearly Bob Iger's fault. Notice how the process of building things at the pace of a turtle began when he became the CEO.

New theory.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Keep waiting.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

It's going to be legen......

Wait for it.

..... Dary

erasure fan1

Are you kidding me? $3B is a 5th gate caliber number.

It's amazing how $1B to $2B is outraaaaaageous when we talk Next Gen but $3B still fails to impress when we're talking actual tangible, vertical construction.
I think that why 3bil fails to impress is that Disney has a pretty solid track record of announcing big and then cutting significantly. Disney has the opportunity to do something special with this project and I do hope it is more substance over looks. But for now a lot of people may just be tempering their enthusiasm until we see what exactly they will do with said 3 billion.

CaptainAmerica

I think that why 3bil fails to impress is that Disney has a pretty solid track record of announcing big and then cutting significantly. Disney has the opportunity to do something special with this project and I do hope it is more substance over looks. But for now a lot of people may just be tempering their enthusiasm until we see what exactly they will do with said 3 billion.
I'm sorry what did they "announce," exactly?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom