Rumor: Details on Disney's Hollywood Adventure

MaryJaneP

Rename Waterparks = Beach Station Hoth and Sandtooine/Wavetooine

Buzz Lightyear should definitely come to DHS/DHA and current Buzz shooter attraction in MK should be re-themed to either "Tomorrowland" or some generic Marvel-like (but not exactly) future comics story.

$3 Bn? Believe it when we see it. D23 announcing it? Likewise. DL more likely to see money, attractions, and announcements.

rct247

So, the attractions I keep hearing that are safe are Tower, Coaster, Mania, and GMR, but the one that is missing on that list is Star Tours. Would they consider removing Star Tours at WDW in favor of an entire new land, not one that would have to work around that existing attraction?

I've also heard that once DAK gets its nighttime show that DHS will be closing as early has DAK currently does. What does that mean for Fantasmic? How much could be closed off at any given time?

Also, is the new flex theater supposed to be permanent or temporary?

BrianLo

So, the attractions I keep hearing that are safe are Tower, Coaster, Mania, and GMR, but the one that is missing on that list is Star Tours.

The five remaining attractions are all "safe". The only one that questionably was on the chopping block was GMR until TCM stepped in. I wouldn't expect Aerosmith to stick around as a theme and Star Tours will likely have serious exterior changes + new destinations tied to the new trilogy, but those core five attractions aren't being thrown out.

articos

The five remaining attractions are all "safe". The only one that questionably was on the chopping block was GMR until TCM stepped in. I wouldn't expect Aerosmith to stick around as a theme and Star Tours will likely have serious exterior changes + new destinations tied to the new trilogy, but those core five attractions aren't being thrown out.
TCM or sponsorship in general has nothing to do with whether an attraction is saved from a theoretical chopping block or not. It does not work that way. :)

articos

I keep trying to put sponsorship in the proper perspective here. If the company has plans to replace an attraction, a sponsor will not keep it intact just because they want to write a check. The company will then say to the potential sponsor "We are making some changes, but here are some ideas on what we want to do in the future, and how we can incorporate your branding/IP, what do you think?" A sponsor coming in would not be able to say "We want this, you have to keep it here!" no matter how large a check they want to write.

NoChesterHester

I hadn't heard that rumor. I'll have to jump on google to check out some pictures :)

Warning:: Don't search too hard if you don't want to know the movie plot. It is all out there. And don't post it here for sure!

We may not get any real info about Star Wars additions at D23 for two primary reasons:

1. The movie comes out four months after the event and they are really trying to keep a clamp on the story. By revealing expansion info they likely would reveal major plot points.

2. It will overshadow EVERYTHING else. If they focus on Avatar and Pixar they can drive excitement about those projects. Let Star Wars out of the bag and no one will care at all about the three quarters of a billion dollars they are dropping at Animal Kingdom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 130

BrerJon

Scott Trowbridge is heading up Star Wars for WDI. In a word, Scott is fantastic.

I have a good feeling about this.

I don't have any trust in TWDC management, and (outside of DAK) don't have a high personal opinion of much of WDI's recent output, but the main thing that gives me lots of confidence about the Star Wars side of things is Trowbridge being in charge... the guy 'gets it', and at this point that's what's needed more than anything else. As long as he can fight his corner and is given a degree of independence, we should all be very happy.

HauntedMansionFLA

Warning:: Don't search too hard if you don't want to know the movie plot. It is all out there. And don't post it here for sure!

We may not get any real info about Star Wars additions at D23 for two primary reasons:

1. The movie comes out four months after the event and they are really trying to keep a clamp on the story. By revealing expansion info they likely would reveal major plot points.

2. It will overshadow EVERYTHING else. If they focus on Avatar and Pixar they can drive excitement about those projects. Let Star Wars out of the bag and no one will care at all about the three quarters of a billion dollars they are dropping at Animal Kingdom.
I've stopped looking updates for the new movie because there might actually be some spoilers in there. You are right. Let Pixar and Avatar have their limelight because once there is a Star Wars announcement everything will take a backseat. The World of Pandora and Disney has a lot riding on that themed land over at DAK. The good thing about that area is James Cameron has three more movies coming out to keep a focus and Pandora in the media. Another good thing WDW has going from them is executives can look at the numbers from redoing DCA and the boast in attendance. Disneyland had the same problem that the Magic Kingdom has run into each day. People leave DAK and DHS toward early evening to the Magic Kingdom leading to overcrowding. Hopefully EPCOT gets some love too to make four excellent parks that people want to spend the day into the evening each day.

doctornick

OK, I am going to preface and say that there is like a <1% of Disney moving an attraction at any point in the near future. It's extremely unlikely to a point of it being clear that it just won't happen. So, this is really an academic discussion, not one about realistic possibilities.

If it already exists though, what is the point? Just wasting money to waste money? Isn't there already a $2 billion project doing that?

I would agree that it doesn't make much sense to spend money to move an attraction (and thus have a net gain of zero attractions) as opposed to putting money towards a new attraction (and thus have a net increase of attractions). If an attraction were to be moved in our current age, the motivation would almost certainly revolve around the locations that is being vacated than the future destination. IOW, the main reason I could see an attraction being moved is because there is a reason to want to remove it from the current space for other development and the attraction is viewed as something worth keeping. A ride is not going to be moved just because it "makes sense" somewhere else.

As an aside, it should be noted that TDL is moving IASW in the new future, so it's not true to just say that attractions will never be moved again. There just has to be a compelling reason to justify the cost. Also, it's worth considering that some attractions are cheaper and easier to move which would factor into any decision. Moving a movie or show would likely be more realistic than a ride.

That said, there are certain attractions that get mentioned to be moved somewhat regularly: CoP, Laugh Floor, IASW. Some on this thread have talked about Buzz too.

CoP isn't getting moved. The only logic behind moving it is that it would be a "better fit" in Future World. I find that pretty weak on the surface and it's not exactly the type of attraction that Epcot is hurting for. Furthermore, it's not like MK has a practical need to move the attraction -- it's not blocking any access to anything, even the backstage parking area. Removing it doesn't create any more opportunities that don't already exist in TL save for the physical space occupied by CoP itself and TL already has multiple expansion pads sitting unused.

Buzz has been talked about in this thread and it's another one that makes no sense IMHO. It's not a poor thematic fit for TL (at least it's nominally about sci-fi stuff), it's popular and it's relatively unique for MK as a shooter ride. Moving it to DHS, the only other park with a shooter ride, seems pointless. There's no particular need for that space in TL, since as mentioned there are existing expansion pads.

Laugh Floor could theoretically be moved. On the one hand, it would be easy/cheap to move unlike a ride (if they moved it into the vacant Premiere Theater, the costs would be fairly minimal since it's an existing structure). Secondly, it is a terrible thematic fit for TL and would be better for DHS were it to be moved there. But the real question would be was is the benefit? The only reason I could see it being moved is if Disney had specific plans to use the Laugh Floor footprint and the large expansion pad behind the building (currently used for parking) for a new large E-ticket. I view that as something that could be plausible since we'd be talking about a relatively small cost for the move, but I still don't see it.

IASW is the most curious case IMHO. On one hand it's a FL staple and is an opening day attraction. Also, it's would be costly to move. On the other hand, you can make an argument it is a better fit in World Showcase (or you can argue it wouldn't be, depending on your prospective) than FL and that it is the type of attraction that Epcot needs to be rounded out. But the biggest argument in favor of IASW moving has nothing to do with IASW and has everything to do with its location -- it's in a choke point of a location and it is blocking potential expansion space to the north. Moving the ride would enable Disney to demo the building and have access to a lot of space. That's actually a realistic justification for moving an attraction. So, while I don't think it will happen any time soon, it's at least arguable that at some point Disney might have expansion plans which would make moving IASW a necessary and sensible idea.

Again, however, this is all just hypothetical talk and anyone expecting rides to move are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

BrerJon

As an aside, it should be noted that TDL is moving IASW in the new future, so it's not true to just say that attractions will never be moved again. There just has to be a compelling reason to justify the cost. Also, it's worth considering that some attractions are cheaper and easier to move which would factor into any decision.

Most of the time if land was needed, the existing attraction would just be shut down. Nobody would shed a tear if something like Laugh Floor disappeared. The only reason for rebuilding elsewhere would be if it was a super popular attraction, and that's what IASW is in Tokyo.

With Tokyo, I think they'll be quite clever. They'll build a 'new' showbuilding, to the same specs as the old one, with the water track, then bring all the props, animatronics etc. over, and then either level the old building and build flat rides and outdoor attractions, or gut the old building, remove the waterway and rebuild the inside - think what's happening with Maelstrom x 10. Either way, they won't need to build more than one new show building.

So in effect instead of putting up a new show building and a ride inside it, for the same money they're designing the new ride to fit into an existing building, or the space it leaves, and the old ride in a new one, but the cost won't be much more than just building a new one on a vacant piece of land.

Last edited:

Sonconato

I'm sure I'm in the minority on these boards but I actually really love what my Disney Experience / myMagic+ is and has done at the resort. I love having the app on my phone too see real wait times, I love booking my fast passes early and being able to choose a time rather than be told a time, I like seeing my photos automatically uploaded to disneyphotopass.com and the tapping at the turnstiles which has decreased my wait to get into the parks. Ive had almost nothing but a more positive experience because of its implementation.
I would have to say I'm more in a minority. I have no smartphone so that app does nothing for me. I will say that booking the fast passes ahead of time has been very beneficial when it has worked. There have been many times when the system wasn't working and we were not allowed on the rides. The Cast Members at the Kiosks could see our reservations, but not at the rides. The other problem is that there needs to be more rides that are worth booking fast passes, especially in Epcot and HS. I'm neutral on the photo passes. But when it comes to getting into the park, this fails miserably for me!:banghead::banghead: I am an AP holder and I go at least twice a week. When I tap the turnstile, Mickey has gone BLUE at least 200 times since it's been implemented. Not only does it slow me down but it holds my family back as well as those behind me. I have to go through the same routine of questions every weekend. I guess the good thing though is that I get to become friends with the Guest Services Cast Members since they have to deal with me every time I try to enter the park! All in all, it's hard to swallow the price tag of $1.5 billon+ for what I continually have to deal with. I think that money could have been better spent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom