Ruined...POTC

hokielutz

I can understand that many don't like the changes to the classic Pirates ride because it was given a bit of a "popular element" (davy jones, Jack Sparrow, & Barbosa)

But they did so much more during this rehab than just adding these new animatronics... look how much its cleaned up, fresh paint, fire effects were fixed and plussed in certain areas, Animatronic costumes were replaced, treasure room was plussed, the sky was given detail and clouds to hide the drop ceiling, cannons were plussed, audio was upgraded, and now it has a more coherent story than the original ride.

so much more than the three characters were added and that is what will keep the interest in POTC, while not changing most of its original design elements.

PurpleDragon

Wow.....just wow. I find it sad how people feel that their opinon on an attraction should be the only one that matters and anything that disagrees with said opinion is ruining the attraction.

Did you ever stop to look at how crowded the ride was before and after the refurb? Did you stop to think about the fact that, as others have said, the vast majority of the public felt cheated because capt' jack was not on the attraction? Whether you agree with it or not, a large portion of the general public got their first taste of PoTC thru the movie, so thats the only version they know. If the ride in the park with the same name does not deliver a similar experience as the movie, then it will leave people feeling confused and irritated and will eventually lead to the downfall of the attraction.

While I respect your love for the original attraction, you and the other dozen or so people who are offended by the change, are a minority in this situation. Most of us here accept the change as a natural step forward in the evolution of the attraction, and the rest of the general public feel its what PoTC should have been in the firts place.

I'm sorry you don't like the change, but to pull the "Walt card" and say its blasphemous to change it is absurd. I think out of all the people in the Disney company, Walt would have been the first one to approve this change, since he always stated he wanted his parks to evolve with the times. Yes the ride has changed, but it has not been ruined, anything that increases the popularity and lines for an attraction is FAAAAAAAR from a ruined failure. :rolleyes:

Uncle Billy

It'll be ok. Really. Nobody likes change. It's uncomfortable. It is nostalgia-defeating. I get it. I understand the discomfort. Disney feels like a national park. It feels like we all own it. We're protective. We feel like we have certain rights. But we don't. And those of us who can't stand change have got to stop the "What Would Walt Have Wanted" argument. He's dead. We loved him. He's dead. The world doesn't freeze. Things change. Tastes change. Public sentiments change. The audience is always changing. "What gets you there doesn't keep you there. You've got to keep changing your act." The Pirates of the Caribbean was a great ride. But it was surpassed in the public imagination by a phenominal hit movie and its sequel such that the first exposure to the franchise for children will be the film. Forever. So the ride has got to mirror it and not the other way around. It is a simple business/marketing decision and the execution is pretty cool and, honestly, very minimal. There is still a great park to share with your children. And you are not sharing "the last ride Walt supervised." You are sharing the cliff-noted cut-in-half-version of one of the last rides he supervised.

SnowFire

POTC has always been one of my favorite rides. When I first heard that they were adding Jack, I was afraid that they would ruin it. Having since ridden the ride, I can honestly say that I am glad they did the refurb. The Davy Jones effect is amazing, as are the upgraded fire effects. The addition of Jack really doesn't bother me. In fact, with the exception of the last scene, his addition is really fairly subtle.

Even though I consider myself a traditionalist, my opinion is that overall this change is a winner.

AEfx

I'm sorry you don't like the change, but to pull the "Walt card" and say its blasphemous to change it is absurd.

Exactly. To begin with, claiming you know what Walt wanted, speaking for a dead man you never knew, is silly, and further anyone that ever read a word the man said can tell you keeping the parks a museum was the opposite of the statements of intent he made when alive. No where have I ever seen a quote from Walt saying, "Once an attraction is built, it shall never be touched!" Regardless, as we all know Walt died long before construction on the attraction began.

PotC rehab was the perfect blend for me - the old attraction is still there, simply enhanced and fixed up so it will continue to run for many, many years to come. It's the best of both worlds - new and old combined into a really fun ride.

Yes, there are a tiny number of people who view Disney parks as museums and not constantly evolving entities, but the vast, vast majority of the public is thrilled with the changes. Ask a PotC CM how many times they got asked a day by guests "Why does this ride have nothing to do with the movie?" Yes, we know better, as Disney fans on a message board, but you've got to remember that we are not the same audience as a typical theme park guest.

I would have been the first to scream if they had removed it, or put a Stitch overlay in. They didn't. They stayed in the original framework of the ride, and enhanced without taking anything signifigant away. PotC has waits all day long now, and that's a good thing. I can't remember a time before the expansion where I didn't practically walk-on the ride, and now it's again in competition for the most popular ride in the park.

I don't doubt the OP was disapointed, but I do know they are in the extreme minority outside of a few obsessive I-Wish-Disney-Were-A-Museum types.

AEfx

Juliaz3

It didn't seem cleaned up to me

It had been about 7 years since I last rode Pirates, and I was excited to see the refurb, but I was disappointed. Not because they added Capt. Jack and other movie tie-ins (those are fine with me) but because the ride still seemed old and dirty. I couldn't see much sprucing up and was felt let down after all the publicity. It's the only thing at WDW that wasn't as good as my expectations. Was I just expecting too much or is this attraction still a bit shabby?

I do want to say, however, that the animatronic Johnny Depp/Capt. Jack is amazingly lifelike, and THAT did not disappoint.

cmatt

refurb = AWESOME

...FACT

the 'what walt wanted' posts drive me insane on this forum. YOU DONT KNOW what he wanted more then i....

Disneyfan2000

i really liked the update and you guys have to realize that soon one day everyone who knew what the orginal version of the ride will be long gone, and families in the future who have grown up with the movie are going to go to MK go on POTC and say wait wheres jack?:shrug: and probably be dissapointed. but thats just my 2 cents:hammer:

Mick G.

Walt did oversee the development of Pirates -- that is, the DL version. The WDW version is quite a bit shorter, and Walt had little to do with the original WDW version. As I recall, the original plans for WDW included a series of attractions called the Western Rivers Expedition, a rather ambitious structure that would have been where Splash Mountain and Big Thunder are now. For a variety of reasons, money being one of them, the WRE was canned in favor of a copy of the DL Pirates ride.

But I will agree that the last scene was a bit anticlimatic.

iheartdisney91

sry but i like the new stuff, i always thought it would be cool to be in a potc movie and thats what the ride is sorta like. yes its the old ride but but with capt.jack.

BTW. barbossa looks odd:lookaroun .... hahah!!:lol:

Lee

Adventurer
I am a tradionalist. I want to take my three kids to the ride I went on...

That's the thing that gets me. The attitude of "but it's not the way it was when I was a kid".:shrug:
Here's a bold statement that I truly believe: Nostalgia has no place in Disney parks. You should not be seeing the exact same ride in 2007 that was there in 1971.
They're not running a museum. Nothing is required to be preserved in it's original incarnation. I like change. It moves us forward (usually) and prevents an attraction from becoming stale and outdated. PotC is all the better for the refurb.

With this in mind, I think Walt would have loved to see the changes that have been made to Pirates that keep the attraction fresh and original. Instead of letting the ride age, the Imaginer's updated the ride elements to fit with an every changing public opinion towards POTC.

:sohappy: Exactly. It's not playing a "Walt card" when there are documented quotes, such as those about his desire that the parks continually change and evolve.

C&D

Where posters get into trouble is the inappropriate use of adjectives. You need to choose wisely, leave a little wiggle room; everything you don't agree with or are complaining about doesn't have to be described to the n'th degree. In the same vein, never say never (no wiggle room, get it?). :animwink:

chaggy102

Well just for arguments sake...Davy Jones has been in the Pirates movie...where are people complaining about needing the cast of the Haunted Mansion to be in the attraction because we know that in how many years none of us will be here yet people will watch that movie and wonder why Eddie Murphy isn't in the Haunted Mansion....

~Chag

Pete C

If you are saddened by the POTC refurb, maybe you should remember how sad it was to walk straight on to POTC on a busy day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom