Room Security Checks

coachb

Original Poster
I’ve had several friends comment recently on security checks in their rooms. Whether napping not just resting, they said they wouldn’t stop knocking and wanted to come in the room and look.

This was particularly frustrating for a family with a napping baby.

Has anyone else experienced this?
We are going to the CBR in July with a baby and plan to nap each day, preferably interuption free.

Mireille

Premium Member
I’ve had several friends comment recently on security checks in their rooms. Whether napping not just resting, they said they wouldn’t stop knocking and wanted to come in the room and look.

We are going to the CBR in July with a baby and plan to nap each day, preferably interuption free.
I believe this was something they instituted after the Las Vegas mass shooting in 2017 where that guy stockpiled guns in his hotel room and then sprayed a country music festival with gunfire. At least, my first visit to WDW after that was the first time I ever had them knock at my door despite a do not disturb sign.

Ayla

Yes, room checks have been SOP for almost 7 years. They are nothing new.

MissingDisney

It is no longer a do not disturb sign or a privacy/do not enter notice. Rather, it's simply a room occupied sign that lets them know to expect people inside the room when they knock. If you do not answer, they will still enter. The sign explains this as well.

Not saying I like the practice, but I understand the necessity these days. I appreciate the attempt to keep us safe.

Attachments

• IMG_9154.jpeg
    IMG_9154.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 58

Chi84

Premium Member
It is no longer a do not disturb sign or a privacy/do not enter notice. Rather, it's simply a room occupied sign that lets them know to expect people inside the room when they knock. If you do not answer, they will still enter. The sign explains this as well.

Not saying I like the practice, but I understand the necessity these days. I appreciate the attempt to keep us safe.
Similar sign changes have been made by non-Disney hotels.

Lilofan

I believe this was something they instituted after the Las Vegas mass shooting in 2017 where that guy stockpiled guns in his hotel room and then sprayed a country music festival with gunfire. At least, my first visit to WDW after that was the first time I ever had them knock at my door despite a do not disturb sign.
That was a terrible event. A CM from Disneyland was one of the fatalities. Iger talked with her family.

harryk

Stayed at SSR December 2023 and the room was serviced every day, at various times. No 'do not disturb' cards on the doors. I just figured that was their way to conduct room safety checks by announcing trash removal when they came in and visited every room where there was a trash bin. As we know - trash removal is not every day in a DVC resort.

Prince-1

I
Stayed at SSR December 2023 and the room was serviced every day, at various times. No 'do not disturb' cards on the doors. I just figured that was their way to conduct room safety checks by announcing trash removal when they came in and visited every room where there was a trash bin. As we know - trash removal is not every day in a DVC resort.

It is definitely a way for them to get in to look around without making it so obvious.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
It's been a few years but when thought that we may have an afternoon nap we'd flag someone in the hall to the check or we'd call from room phone and request the check be completed before some time, usually an hour before we expected to return.

castlecake2.0

Once a day every resort room is checked, for safety of guest and cast. You can call housekeeping from your in room phone to arrange a particular time so that you are not disturbed while trying to rest.

cbarry26

Only once in the last few years has anyone in my family actually seen the room checked. My son wasn't feeling great and stayed back to relax in the room and they came knocking. Between the five of us, there have probably been a dozen resort stays in the last few years and we only encountered it once. Not saying it doesn't happen, but the odds seem to be against you getting bothered by it - at least that has been our experience.

Kingoglow

This is normal hotel procedure now since the Las Vegas shooting in 2017. Typically hotels only knock and ask to come in IF room service hasn't been allowed to clean the room in 2-3 days. This is expected behavior at this point.

Dayma

We go around 2-3 times a year and can only recall being interrupted once. Maybe we are just lucky, but it really has not been a burden. Glad they are taking our safety as top priority.

Hockey89

Between guns, drugs, and human trafficking, I'm glad they do the checks.
Human Trafficking has become a huge problem for hotels. Many Insurance companies are leaving that market space. I was at the four seasons in Hawaii and there were signs about it and to contact the hotel or police... Scary times with some many coyotes rushing the border

Cariad

I stayed at a hotel opposite Disneyland last year, serviced properly every day so no need for a room check. Then went to Pop and the room was never properly serviced, the bed was only made once and that was on request. I ended up ordering a swiffer and Clorox wipes from Instacart to sweep the floor and clean the room as two weeks without dusting or vacuuming or a clean bathroom is unhealthy.
I stay at hotels regularly and Disney is the only one that has a total lack of regular housekeeping. But, I didn't have any room checks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom