Room location with least "sway" on Disney Cruise

Sadiebird

DH, DS, and I went on a 4 night Disney Cruise to the Bahamas in the fall of '07. It was our first cruise and there were parts of it that we really enjoyed, but I had a really difficult time with the sway of the boat. I was never nauseous, but just felt out of sorts with the constant movement of the ship. We swore we would never do another cruise, but now we're looking at the new photos of the Disney Dream and we're thinking we should reconsider. So here's my question. Are there parts of the ship that you feel less of a sway? Our stateroom was 6566 on the Wonder. It was noisy and the walls creaked when the boat swayed. Are all of the rooms like that or were we just in a bad spot?

Thanks for your help! :wave:

Skylinecar1982

The lower down you stay on a ship the less swaying you will feel. I think either you are really sensitive to the movement or you just went at a bad time. I have been on about 10-11 cruises and only one time was the ship swaying really bad. So you might have just had bad luck with your first.

What sucks in the best thing for this would be not to think about it but, because of your first experience this is all you will probably think about. Try to keep yourself as busy as you can. The more you do the less you will think about it.

Hopefully this trip will be more stress free for you.

Upvote 0

HS0411

Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. We were concerned that we had done something wrong, but if it was other circumstances, that makes me feel a little bit better! We thought we might have offended them!

I'd tell you their names, but it was over 2 years ago and I don't remember! :)

Unless you are tipping way below the suggested amounts, it's pretty hard to offend them when it comes to the money. You are easier to offend them if you say something "dumb" about their country.

With my luck, your dining room staff were my partners in crime the night before. I'm willing to bet on it! :lol:

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
Unless you are tipping way below the suggested amounts, it's pretty hard to offend them when it comes to the money. You are easier to offend them if you say something "dumb" about their country.

With my luck, your dining room staff were my partners in crime the night before. I'm willing to bet on it! :lol:

I wish I could remember their names now! For some reason Carlos and Marcus come to mind. But that could be totally wrong.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

We actually had one other experience on the cruise that I have a question about. As it was our first cruise, we had no idea about the waiter tipping until we were on board. Our waiters were great, so we followed the recommended tipping amounts on the envelopes. The last morning of the cruise at breakfast, although they had been over the top friendly and helpful to us throughout the rest of the cruise, they acted as though they didn't even know who we were! Did we not tip them enough? Should we have given more than the recommended amount? Or were they just "off duty" at that point and ready to be finished with their shift?

While I have never been on DCL (yet...first time this summer!:sohappy:), I have been on 6 other cruises on three different cruise lines. Every time we had breakfast in the dining room on the last morning, the servers were TOTALLY different. The smiles, friendliness, etc.. was gone. We came to accept that most (I am sure there are exceptions) of the servers put on an act all week...they are performing in order to get a good tip. In a way I totally understand...they do this 7 nights a week with so little time off. I have no idea how it is with DCL employees, but after talking to servers on other cruise lines their life while on the ship seems miserable, at least to me. Working pretty much all day every single day for weeks at a time with so little time off. I'm not trying make excuses for them...they should continue to be friendly even after they get the tips! But that is just the reality of the industry, I think.

Upvote 0

HS0411

I wish I could remember their names now! For some reason Carlos and Marcus come to mind. But that could be totally wrong.

No worries.

While I have never been on DCL (yet...first time this summer!:sohappy:), I have been on 6 other cruises on three different cruise lines. Every time we had breakfast in the dining room on the last morning, the servers were TOTALLY different. The smiles, friendliness, etc.. was gone. We came to accept that most (I am sure there are exceptions) of the servers put on an act all week...they are performing in order to get a good tip. In a way I totally understand...they do this 7 nights a week with so little time off. I have no idea how it is with DCL employees, but after talking to servers on other cruise lines their life while on the ship seems miserable, at least to me. Working pretty much all day every single day for weeks at a time with so little time off. I'm not trying make excuses for them...they should continue to be friendly even after they get the tips! But that is just the reality of the industry, I think.

Thanks for realizing what we go through working on a cruise ship. You have no idea what it's really like, until you actually do it. From what I've been told DCL is pretty typical of other cruise lines.

Upvote 0

heartodisney

I have done two cruises on two different lines, no Disney Line though. The first was a smaller ship that had been keeled out in the 50's...800 passengers with 400 crew members...very cozy and no problems, second with a much bigger boat and it was ok, no real problems...just TOO MANY people (cattle call on all excursions)...both in spring and very calm waters. We were in lower deck cabins. The next one, if I ever do one, will be a sail cruise with no more than 50 to 150 passengers...sailing into ports that the bigger lines do not and cannot port. Of course your cabin will be small, but it will be so much more informal...less cloths to bring!

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

We've been on several Disney cruises, all different times of year.

The first night crosing the gulf stream is always the worst. The first night of our first cruise, I wondered if we'd made a horrible mistake.:lol: The last night is always a little rockier too.

We've been in January, February, May and September. May and January were the smoothest, but there's no sure way to predict that.

I start taking Dramamine (non drowsy) the day before we board and I take it every day, no matter how I feel, just as a preventative measure. Our cruise in September was surrounded by three hurricane/tropical storms. We had one very rough day but I felt fine.

I also have swaying issues for a few days after. The last trip I took dramamine for two days after we got off and that seemed to help a lot.

I'm planning my next cruise in April, and I was just remembering - I need more Dramamine!!:lol:

Upvote 0

HS0411

We've been on several Disney cruises, all different times of year.

The first night crosing the gulf stream is always the worst. The first night of our first cruise, I wondered if we'd made a horrible mistake.:lol: The last night is always a little rockier too.

We've been in January, February, May and September. May and January were the smoothest, but there's no sure way to predict that.

I start taking Dramamine (non drowsy) the day before we board and I take it every day, no matter how I feel, just as a preventative measure. Our cruise in September was surrounded by three hurricane/tropical storms. We had one very rough day but I felt fine.

I also have swaying issues for a few days after. The last trip I took dramamine for two days after we got off and that seemed to help a lot.

I'm planning my next cruise in April, and I was just remembering - I need more Dramamine!!:lol:

That's pretty typical for people. If weather really gets bad, the Medical Center and Guest Services have Sea-Calm tablets. They work just like Dramamine, but can't be given to children under 12. The best part: they are FREE. You can always buy more Dramamine in the gift shop,

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

That's pretty typical for people. If weather really gets bad, the Medical Center and Guest Services have Sea-Calm tablets. They work just like Dramamine, but can't be given to children under 12. The best part: they are FREE. You can always buy more Dramamine in the gift shop,

I did get the free ones once. I just felt bad about taking them, so now it's back to Dramamine.:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom