Rolly Crump on the State of Disneyland

Stevek

Reminds me of a recent live podcast recording with Tony Baxter.

When asked about Journey into Imagination, his response starts with "Now any of you who have only been since 2000 and ridden that sham of an attraction"

I always enjoy when Imagineers are candid about their opinions.

Tony's made other comments, can't find them now, about Disney's misses over the recent years. He's also in love with Uni's Potter expansions.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Tony's made other comments, can't find them now, about Disney's misses over the recent years. He's also in love with Uni's Potter expansions.

He also made comments about DLR has further expansion space that are unknown to the public. Saying that he had been to a meeting just a day before on it. So it sounds like they do have a master plan of some kind....

smile

preach, mr. crump
- gotta love rolly!!... and his stories!

he's had a lot of great ideas over the years about what twdc should have been/done post-walt -
which was likely part of the problem, but i'd wager the old man would have backed him... at least more than he got.

wise to consider his relative closeness to walt hurt him, but i can't imagine he'd have wanted it any other way :joyfull:

mickEblu

He also made comments about DLR has further expansion space that are unknown to the public. Saying that he had been to a meeting just a day before on it. So it sounds like they do have a master plan of some kind....

“Expansion space” = mowing down current attractions. Or maybe he said that before SWL and Marvel land announcements?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
as a fan of themed entertainment, he should be
... his opinion while cresting a hill on btmr, however, may differ slightly ;)

I don't think it would be different. He's smart enough of an Imagineer to know that sight lines when up at a higher elevation like the top of the BTMRR hill or Tarzan's Tree House can't be 100% blocked.

WEDwaydatamover

I've heard the Tony podcasts mentioned and don't want to stir things up for him. He's one of the best that the Walt Disney Company has ever employed. PERIOD.

I've heard him tell it how it is and I respect him more for it. He's a one of a kind, he's no Fitzgerald.

SuddenStorm

The podcast was just last month in August, so it was after SW:GE and Marvel announcements.

BTW, Tony says he's excited for SW:GE in that same podcast.

In a podcast soon after the SWGE announcements (one of the later Season Pass Tony Baxter ones), they ask him his thoughts. IIRC, he pauses- says he's curious and what he's been shown seems good and interesting, but that he wouldn't have put it where it's going and will be visiting as a critic.

It's a shame he'll likely never be completely public on his true thoughts.

SuddenStorm

Was lucky enough to be at that podcast recording. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Podcast: The Ride, the history they discuss is straight out of wikipedia, and it's not my type of humor.

That Tony episode was far and away their best.

the.dreamfinder

I've heard the Tony podcasts mentioned and don't want to stir things up for him. He's one of the best that the Walt Disney Company has ever employed. PERIOD.

I've heard him tell it how it is and I respect him more for it. He's a one of a kind, he's no Fitzgerald.
I sense a little too much hero worship here. Be careful.

“He’d take credit for all of Disneyland, if he could.”

Figments Friend

as a fan of themed entertainment, he should be
... his opinion while cresting a hill on btmr, however, may differ slightly ;)

Indeed.
I have personal first hand experience with what you just described.

There is a disappointing feeling when cresting that 2nd lift hill, for sure.
It was like a punch in the gut back in 2016 when the area was still just a decimated land plot.
One evening i rode BTMR with Tony next to me, and it was clear neither of us were too thrilled with what was going on.
I told him to pretend they are building 'Discovery Bay' instead to try to cheer him up......

By the Gods, i so wish they were......and i can honestly say he would prefer to see that, too.

:/

Figments Friend

In a podcast soon after the SWGE announcements (one of the later Season Pass Tony Baxter ones), they ask him his thoughts. IIRC, he pauses- says he's curious and what he's been shown seems good and interesting, but that he wouldn't have put it where it's going and will be visiting as a critic.

It's a shame he'll likely never be completely public on his true thoughts.

He can be very direct, sincere, and completely open with his thoughts privately if you meet him.
Tony has very strong opinions on certain matters, and his perspective on things is unique.

I once spent six hours with him at Disneyland Park and Club 33 and heard a LOT of what was currently on the mans' mind.
Very insightful, interesting, and put many curiosities i had over certain Attraction closures and other related things to rest or into a clearer perspective.

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I don't think it would be different. He's smart enough of an Imagineer to know that sight lines when up at a higher elevation like the top of the BTMRR hill or Tarzan's Tree House can't be 100% blocked.

It's not the sight lines that bother him....
It is where this SW area is being placed, in Disneyland Park, that is a big issue...... and to a lesser extent, what had originally been developed to go on the very plot of land instead.

I agree with Tony's sentiments 120%.

Should have been built at DCA.

-

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Indeed.
I have personal first hand experience with what you just described.

There is a disappointing feeling when cresting that 2nd lift hill, for sure.
It was like a punch in the gut back in 2016 when the area was still just a decimated land plot.
One evening i rode BTMR with Tony next to me, and it was clear neither of us were too thrilled with what was going on.
I told him to pretend they are building 'Discovery Bay' instead to try to cheer him up......

By the Gods, i so wish they were......and i can honestly say he would prefer to see that, too.

:/

Heartbreaking. I've never met the man, but have listened to a number interviews with him, and have always been impressed with his perspective and insight.

If he's not happy about Galaxy's Edge- then that's a huge red flag.

Figments Friend

Heartbreaking. I've never met the man, but have listened to a number interviews with him, and have always been impressed with his perspective and insight.

If he's not happy about Galaxy's Edge- then that's a huge red flag.

The main issue is where it is located ( Disneyland Park ).
Strongly against the decision to place it there.

Tony is however a fan of the original 'Star Wars' films, and he loves to experience themed areas, so a part of him is looking forward to seeing the end result and the new Attractions when the time comes.
His opinion and eventual review of the effort I am interested in hearing, but I can say for certain that he is definitely not pleased with it's placement.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom