Rollercoaster Advice | Summer 2022 Amusement Park Review and Ideas

TheOriginalTiki

I have to travel down this way in November - the park is open on weekends and the Cedar Fair pass is still good so....
fury-banner_1600x.jpg
I've got immediate family in that area, so a trip there at some point in the next few years is pretty inevitable. Got to admit that outside of the obvious draw of Fury there's really not much pulling me in. As of now the immediate plans for next year are going to be San Diego in the Spring and SoCal in October. San Diego is actually the last major California city I've yet to get to. The obvious draw is Sea World and that dive coaster they just opened finally gives the park a solid enough lineup to warrant a trip. Does anyone know if there's any shuttle services to stuff like Carlsbad Caverns and Lego Land? I know the zoo is obviously in the area and I'm sure we'll spend at least a couple days there, but I'm not sure that will hold my interest as the main "Hub" of the trip.

soCal I'm just very interested in the Haunt scene they have down there. Right now my VERY tentative plans are two days in Hollywood for a day trip to Universal plus Halloween Horror Nights, then taking a shuttle down to the Anaheim area for Oogie Boogie Bash, Scary Farm, and likely a day trip to Disneyland for Runaway Railway as much as I WANT to be done with Disney.

Still obviously need to hit up some of the big regional parks like Cedar Point, Kings Island, Williamsburg, and Kings Dominion, but I think my body needs a break from the East coast climates and long plane rides. SoCal trips are just so much easier and less of a beating from the anxiety front haha. Another factor is that I do want to start slowly saving for a Tokyo trip, so doing paired down, non-solo trips for the next year would definitely put a dent into that. The hardest factor with Tokyo is probably going to be timing it out to travel with someone, because there's no way my family is going to be comfortable with me doing that trip alone.

TheOriginalTiki

Besides fury and intimidator, there really isn't much. Afterburn maybe, but still. I had scheduled 2 days and rode every coaster that was open 6+ times in 3/4ths of a day.
Not a Copperhead Strike fan? The takes on it have been really mixed. I've heard everything from it being downright rough/bad to people actually preferring it over Fury. Intimidator is one of the hypers I know the least about since it gets so overshadowed by I305. Is it focused on laterals like its bigger cousin or is it more of an airtime machine?

Andrew25

Not a Copperhead Strike fan? The takes on it have been really mixed. I've heard everything from it being downright rough/bad to people actually preferring it over Fury. Intimidator is one of the hypers I know the least about since it gets so overshadowed by I305. Is it focused on laterals like its bigger cousin or is it more of an airtime machine?

It's actually smooth in the front and I can understand where the mixed reviews come from. Most people associate a launch coaster as an experience that should simulate racing/flying/etc., but Copperhead just uses it as an alternative to a lift hill since the focus on this coaster are the inversions themselves.

It's not like Cheetah Hunt where the main point of the attraction is to simulate speed.

Hopefully, my explanation makes sense.

spacemt354

Chili's
Besides fury and intimidator, there really isn't much. Afterburn maybe, but still. I had scheduled 2 days and rode every coaster that was open 6+ times in 3/4ths of a day.
I'm interested in Copperhead Strike for sure too

As for the rest of the park, it seems like it is much like Kings Dominion where it's top heavy with great attractions and then the rest are okay/passable. More for the credit hunt than anything.

If you're not in the Charlotte area it doesn't seem worth it taking a cross country trip like Tiki for example, but if you're doing a road trip then it's definitely a good spot.

My goal after this is I should be able to have my 100th coaster be Iron Gwazi

TheOriginalTiki

Have you been to Busch before? If not, I definitely have some tips when it comes to that park and the layout. First and foremost, no matter what, GO ON A SCHOOL DAY, The difference between a September Thursday and a Spring Break Sunday were completely insane and by far the most lopsided crowd flow between two days I've ever seen at a park. I still can't get over just how walk-on everything was the last time I was there. There was probably less than 100 cars in the parking lot. Also I strongly echo what others have said about Iron Gwazi warming up as the day goes on. I know it's already been brought up, but the point REALLY needs to be hammered home. My first rides had me questioning if it was even in the top ten, but as soon as I rode it in the last 90 minutes of the day it EASILY shot up to my top two right with Velocicoaster. The thing just totally hauls. I can't imagine how crazy night rides are.

Andrew25

Have you been to Busch before? If not, I definitely have some tips when it comes to that park and the layout. First and foremost, no matter what, GO ON A SCHOOL DAY, The difference between a September Thursday and a Spring Break Sunday were completely insane and by far the most lopsided crowd flow between two days I've ever seen at a park. I still can't get over just how walk-on everything was the last time I was there. There was probably less than 100 cars in the parking lot. Also I strongly echo what others have said about Iron Gwazi warming up as the day goes on. I know it's already been brought up, but the point REALLY needs to be hammered home. My first rides had me questioning if it was even in the top ten, but as soon as I rode it in the last 90 minutes of the day it EASILY shot up to my top two right with Velocicoaster. The thing just totally hauls. I can't imagine how crazy night rides are.

Had the same experience with Gwazi. TRope dropped, and came off a bit disappointed. Went back on around ~5 and noticed it got ridiculously faster. After 2 night rides, it became my #1.

Mickeynerd17

Original Poster
It's actually smooth in the front and I can understand where the mixed reviews come from. Most people associate a launch coaster as an experience that should simulate racing/flying/etc., but Copperhead just uses it as an alternative to a lift hill since the focus on this coaster are the inversions themselves.

It's not like Cheetah Hunt where the main point of the attraction is to simulate speed.

Hopefully, my explanation makes sense.
That is a good analysis.

One rides copperhead for the inversions, not the launch. I rode it front and back row with no problems, but I'm also young and spry relatively speaking.

spacemt354

Chili's
Will be the first time - thinking of getting the season pass in order to fit in Williamsburg and SeaWorld too. Definitely planning on going during the week, I'll have some time in early Dec or Jan that I'm tentatively planning on - either that or a school day next spring.

I am a fan of intense rides, so I'm hoping Gwazi can live up to the high expectations - I305 blew them away for me it'll be hard to top that as my #1 but I think if anything has a shot it's IG or SteVe

Disney Dad 3000

I'm interested in Copperhead Strike for sure too

As for the rest of the park, it seems like it is much like Kings Dominion where it's top heavy with great attractions and then the rest are okay/passable. More for the credit hunt than anything.

If you're not in the Charlotte area it doesn't seem worth it taking a cross country trip like Tiki for example, but if you're doing a road trip then it's definitely a good spot.

Let me know if you make it down this way. If schedule allows, I'll come meet you for a bite or something. I'm only about 15 min from the park.

TheOriginalTiki

Will be the first time - thinking of getting the season pass in order to fit in Williamsburg and SeaWorld too. Definitely planning on going during the week, I'll have some time in early Dec or Jan that I'm tentatively planning on - either that or a school day next spring.

I am a fan of intense rides, so I'm hoping Gwazi can live up to the high expectations - I305 blew them away for me it'll be hard to top that as my #1 but I think if anything has a shot it's IG or SteVe

So the big thing you have to keep in mind with Busch Gardens is the layout is AWFUL haha. You have Cheetah Hunt and Iron Gwazi at the start of the park, Montu and Cobra's Curse relatively close to Cheetah Hunt, but beyond that everything is AWFUL to get to. One thing I think I'd appreciate a lot more about the park if I were a local is the fact that it really is designed with a free-form exploratory vibe in mind, even more so than Animal Kingdom. I noted in my vlog that while Animal Kingdom's design certainly encourages exploration via the trails and animal exhibits, I think Busch takes things a step further by making the animal stuff a straight up part of the layout.

This is most prominent in the fact that you have to walk a LOOOOONG path through the savanna to get from the Egypt area to the Falcon's Fury/Scorpion/Sand Serpent area which is pretty much the back of the park. From there Kumba is pretty much in its own little area that you have to take a bridge to get to, and Shiekra/Tigris are sort of tucked behind the kids areas which in themselves are literally surrounded by animal exhibits. The area between the back of the park and Shiekra/Tigris is also pretty much one big tiger exhibit which is really easy to get lost in. There's definitely full walking trails in the park I straight up haven't had time to appreciate. The downside is obviously that it makes actual navigation a bit cumbersome. At least Animal Kingdom is more or less a "Lagoon Loop" park...Busch is very much NOT a lagoon loop or a hub and spoke. The upside is that I imagine as a local or repeat visitor with the luxury of time, the exploratory nature of the park actually becomes a perk as one simply can't argue that the actual landscaping is next level. While there's not the elaborate rock-work of Animal Kingdom, I think the naturalistic beauty of the park is still pretty neck and neck with its WDW competitor.

The BIG downside of Busch is the complete lack of indoor attractions. This is a MAJOR bummer compared to pretty much every other major Florida park. Even Sea World has a solid dark ride with Atlantis and some pretty good aquariums to escape the heat. The best you're going to get at Busch is the two mediocre theater shows (I believe there's a "pet stunts" one and an ice skating one) Both my trips in spite of no interest in actually seeing them they pretty much became mandatory to get out of the heat. The park is also somewhat infamous for completely shutting down due to weather. I believe any sign of lightning shuts down every single ride, which luckily I've avoided the two times I went but given how much of a pain it is to take the shuttle from Orlando to Tampa if this did happen it would essentially result in a completely sunk vacation day on my end. The lack of indoor space means that the few shaded food pavilions become completely overrun with crowds when thunderstorms do hit in the middle of the day, which sounds straight up miserable and REALLY makes you appreciate all the indoor offering at Disney and Universal to offset that situation.

spacemt354

Chili's
Let me know if you make it down this way. If schedule allows, I'll come meet you for a bite or something. I'm only about 15 min from the park.
If it's confirmed a go (weather and all) I will for sure let you know!

So the big thing you have to keep in mind with Busch Gardens is the layout is AWFUL haha. You have Cheetah Hunt and Iron Gwazi at the start of the park, Montu and Cobra's Curse relatively close to Cheetah Hunt, but beyond that everything is AWFUL to get to. One thing I think I'd appreciate a lot more about the park if I were a local is the fact that it really is designed with a free-form exploratory vibe in mind, even more so than Animal Kingdom. I noted in my vlog that while Animal Kingdom's design certainly encourages exploration via the trails and animal exhibits, I think Busch takes things a step further by making the animal stuff a straight up part of the layout.

This is most prominent in the fact that you have to walk a LOOOOONG path through the savanna to get from the Egypt area to the Falcon's Fury/Scorpion/Sand Serpent area which is pretty much the back of the park. From there Kumba is pretty much in its own little area that you have to take a bridge to get to, and Shiekra/Tigris are sort of tucked behind the kids areas which in themselves are literally surrounded by animal exhibits. The area between the back of the park and Shiekra/Tigris is also pretty much one big tiger exhibit which is really easy to get lost in. There's definitely full walking trails in the park I straight up haven't had time to appreciate. The downside is obviously that it makes actual navigation a bit cumbersome. At least Animal Kingdom is more or less a "Lagoon Loop" park...Busch is very much NOT a lagoon loop or a hub and spoke. The upside is that I imagine as a local or repeat visitor with the luxury of time, the exploratory nature of the park actually becomes a perk as one simply can't argue that the actual landscaping is next level. While there's not the elaborate rock-work of Animal Kingdom, I think the naturalistic beauty of the park is still pretty neck and neck with its WDW competitor.

The BIG downside of Busch is the complete lack of indoor attractions. This is a MAJOR bummer compared to pretty much every other major Florida park. Even Sea World has a solid dark ride with Atlantis and some pretty good aquariums to escape the heat. The best you're going to get at Busch is the two mediocre theater shows (I believe there's a "pet stunts" one and an ice skating one) Both my trips in spite of no interest in actually seeing them they pretty much became mandatory to get out of the heat. The park is also somewhat infamous for completely shutting down due to weather. I believe any sign of lightning shuts down every single ride, which luckily I've avoided the two times I went but given how much of a pain it is to take the shuttle from Orlando to Tampa if this did happen it would essentially result in a completely sunk vacation day on my end. The lack of indoor space means that the few shaded food pavilions become completely overrun with crowds when thunderstorms do hit in the middle of the day, which sounds straight up miserable and REALLY makes you appreciate all the indoor offering at Disney and Universal to offset that situation.
Thanks for the tips! Hopefully in winter the weather shouldn't be too hot compared to the summer.

Still interested in doing that top 50 coasters podcast once I get to #100 - this year has been a good year for coasters on my end! Tried lots of new ones, my list earlier in the thread has drastically changed

TheOriginalTiki

Starting now!

My list.

60. Liberty Square Riverboat
59. Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
58. Mission: Space
57. Triceratops Spin
56. Alien Swirling Saucers
55. Tomorrowland Speedway
54. Prince Charming's Regal Carousel
53. Astro Orbiter
52. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
51. It's Tough to be a Bug

50. Festival of the Lion King
49. The Barnstormer
48. Mickey's Philharmagic
47. Tom Sawyer's Island
46. Star Tours: The Adventure Continues
45. The Mickey Shorts Theater
44. The Seas with Nemo and Friends
43. Dumbo the Flying Elephant
42. Kali River Rapids
41. Hall of Presidents

40. Smuggler's Run
39. Test Track
38. Swiss Family Treehouse
37. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
36. Living with the Land
35. Walt Disney World Railroad
34. Voyage of the Little Mermaid
33. Na'Vi River Journey
32. MuppetVision 3D
31. Finding Nemo: The Musical

30. The Enchanted Tiki Room
29. Pirates of the Caribbean
28. Soarin'
27. It's a Small World
26. Journey of the Little Mermaid
25. Slinky Dog Dash
24. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
23. Spaceship Earth
22. Rise of the Resistance
21. Splash Mountain

20. Frozen Ever After
19. The American Adventure
18. Impressions De France
17. Jungle Cruise
16. Rock N' Roller Coaster
15. Toy Story Mania
14. Kilimanjaro Safari
13. Peter Pan's Flight
12. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
11. Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

10. Dinosaur
9. The Peoplemovers
8. Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
7. Space Mountain
6. Grand Fiesta Tour
5. Country Bear Jamboree
4. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
3. Haunted Mansion
2. Flight of Passage
1. Expedition Everest

spacemt354

Chili's
Really enjoyed this podcast series! Some good commentary on the reasons behind it even if all our personal lists might be a bit different.

Speaking of that it's hard to do top 60, but have given some thought to my Top 25

1. The Haunted Mansion
2. Spaceship Earth
3. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
4. The Peoplemover
5. Living with the Land
6. Expedition Everest
7. Space Mountain
8. Pirates of the Caribbean
9. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
10. Splash Mountain
11. Flight of Passage
12. Soarin'
13. Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
14. Dinosaur
15. Rise of the Resistance
16. Test Track
17. Gran Fiesta Tour
18. Walt Disney World Railroad
19. Rock n Roller Coaster
20. Country Bear Jamboree
21. Star Tours: The Adventure Continues
22. Kilimanjaro Safari
23. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
24. The American Adventure
25. Jungle Cruise

Honorable (Extinct) Mentions: Alien Encounter, The Great Movie Ride (both would have comfortably been in the Top 15 at least)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom