Rollercoaster Advice | Summer 2022 Amusement Park Review and Ideas

Disney Warrior

My Kings Island trip review is available on my blog!

“I was making my way quickly to Area 72–King’s Island’s version of the famous Area 51 in New Mexico.”
Just noticed this while reading, but Area 51 is actually in Nevada, I think you’re getting this confused with Roswell NM which also has aliens.

spacemt354

Chili's
Been a minute, but was able to take a quick trip today to...

Knoebels!!
20220901_123431.jpg

20220901_140340.jpg

TheOriginalTiki

Tomorrow I leave for my week-long Universal/Busch Gardens trip!! Pretty stoked. I have an unlimited park hopper pass for Uni, two HHN nights (first one including Express Pass, so the second night will be much more focused on atmosphere/scarezones) and a Busch season pass that I somehow bought for cheaper than a one-day ticket during a flash sale. What really excites me about this trip is just how free-form it's going to be. Words cannot describe how giddy I am about the idea of flying down to Florida and not even having a passing interest in venturing in Disney country. Also going to be my first Volcano Bay visit. I've only ever done Universal during two hectic park hopper days as part of larger trips, but I have stayed at their resorts before and know just how much easier everything is compared to Disney, especially the bus service. Busch is definitely the big wild card of the trip, as I may or may not go a second day depending on how the crowds are. The idea of marathoning Iron Gwazi is too tempting to not try to achieve. Obviously this is also my first Velocicoaster ride as well, so the trip will be very much centered on cracking out that one/two punch. I'll try to update ya'll as much as I can on here.

Do we know who's an Orlando local? Anyone want to plan a meet-up? Just like a bad stand-up comedian, I'll be here all week :p ;)

Andrew25

Tomorrow I leave for my week-long Universal/Busch Gardens trip!! Pretty stoked. I have an unlimited park hopper pass for Uni, two HHN nights (first one including Express Pass, so the second night will be much more focused on atmosphere/scarezones) and a Busch season pass that I somehow bought for cheaper than a one-day ticket during a flash sale. What really excites me about this trip is just how free-form it's going to be. Words cannot describe how giddy I am about the idea of flying down to Florida and not even having a passing interest in venturing in Disney country. Also going to be my first Volcano Bay visit. I've only ever done Universal during two hectic park hopper days as part of larger trips, but I have stayed at their resorts before and know just how much easier everything is compared to Disney, especially the bus service. Busch is definitely the big wild card of the trip, as I may or may not go a second day depending on how the crowds are. The idea of marathoning Iron Gwazi is too tempting to not try to achieve. Obviously this is also my first Velocicoaster ride as well, so the trip will be very much centered on cracking out that one/two punch. I'll try to update ya'll as much as I can on here.

Do we know who's an Orlando local? Anyone want to plan a meet-up? Just like a bad stand-up comedian, I'll be here all week :p ;)

I recommend riding Gwazi towards the end of the day as well, it runs much better/faster as the day progresses.

spacemt354

Chili's

Very excited to hear your feedback, I'll be making it down for Gwazi within a few months, almost to 100 coasters maybe after your trip we could start a top 50 coasters podcast!

Mickeynerd17

Original Poster

Awesome!!!!

I'm in college 2 hours away from Six Flags over Georgia, so I'm hoping to fit in a visit sometime this semester. We'll see. ;)

Disney Warrior

My family‘s planning a trip to Universal (Florida) for thanksgiving week, can’t wait to experience many rides (but probably not velocicoaster since I’m not the biggest coaster guy despite knowing a lot about them) like SpiderMan and Minions (I don’t know if the HP rides will make me like Harry potter), also this will be my first visit to Uni Orlando

MickeyMouse10

My family‘s planning a trip to Universal (Florida) for thanksgiving week, can’t wait to experience many rides (but probably not velocicoaster since I’m not the biggest coaster guy despite knowing a lot about them) like SpiderMan and Minions (I don’t know if the HP rides will make me like Harry potter), also this will be my first visit to Uni Orlando

Whoa, I can't believe it's your first trip to Uni.

Surprisingly my favorite part of Studios is the Horror Makeup Show. So make some time to see it, if possible.

Last edited:

tcool123

Definitely try to get there at the start of the day, and if the waits get too long both parks tend to wind down after 4 PM. The exception being a few rides such as Hagrids, Minions, Mummy.

Since it’ll be Christmas time at Universal the Grinchmas Musical show is a must see. Maybe an unpopular opinion but the Macys Day Parade at the park is whatever, but the Christmas streetmoshpere shows are just lovely.

As @MickeyMouse10 said the Horror Make Up Show is a great time, and the Bourne Stuntacular is amazing. The pet show is a nice way to take a break from crowds at Universal Studios.

TheOriginalTiki

Back from my trip, and having been able to get about 10 rides each it's time to answer THE defining question of our generation...which is better, Iron Gwazi or Velocicoaster??!?! It's definitely tough, and like most other enthusiasts the two of them are now my #1 and #2 respectively with a bullet. Nothing else I've done even comes close. With that said, here's some pros and cons to each.

Iron Gwazi
306133969_5768899423149172_5793204917687969593_n.jpg

Pros:

-VERY easy to marathon on weekdays. On the day I was there it was literally no more than a one train wait the entire day. This is why I got about the same number of rides on Gwazi and Velocicoaster in spite of being at the latter's park for four days.

-Next gen RMC restraints. They're not AS good as its competition which is hands down the most comfortable restraints I've ever experienced, but MAN is it such a huge step up from the previous RMC restraints which are so restricting I almost always have to have a CM push down to get it to click.

-Huge scale: This is the one BIG thing Gwazi has over Velocicoaster. The elements on Gwazi are freaking MASSIVE showstoppers that just take your breath away as far as the sheer scale is concerned. My favorite elements are the first overbanked inversion right after the drop, the iconic massive breaking wave over the station, and the last two air time hills which are just ejector HEAVEN.

-The color scheme on this thing might be one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. The purple REALLY pops against the sea of green landscaping found throughout the rest of the park.

Cons:

-As far as length goes it certainly packs a punch, but one can't deny that compared to some of the other "World's Greatest" coasters this thing is a little bit on the short side. It's one massive element after the other, but some of its competition just feels like a more complete experience.

-By far the biggest con is the fact that this ride notoriously warms up as the day goes on. My first ride was a little after noon and I did indeed have a "meh" reaction to it. Solid airtime pops, but nothing mindblowing. Doing my marathon the last hour of the park was a completely different story. Ejector city on every single drop and inversion.

-Oh god, NOT THE BEES. There are indeed bees on the lifthill, and the one time I experienced them full force (on my last ride of the night ironically) it was legitimately terrifying and way, WAAAY more scary than anything the actual coaster had to offer.

Velocicoaster
306962163_5765209300184851_4251943451848877585_n.jpg
Pros:
-Theme is next level and obviously being a Universal attraction Gwazi can't hope to compare. The queue is really great with no boring parts at all, and even on the actual ride experience the projection effects on the raptor paddock and just how close you get to the statues on-ride mixed with the sound effects REALLY go a long way.

-Mosasarous Roll. ' Nuff said. ;) Granted I think a close second as far as favorite elements go come from the crazy side to side air time hill/turn thing that happens right before it.

-If Iron Gwazi is ejector city, this thing had so much FLOATER it feels like you're on another planet. No joke...from the second you launch your butt is out of your seat pretty much the ENTIRE time. To the point where it's hard to imagine that SteVe actually has MORE airtime than that. And unlike Gwazi this thing needs NO warming up.

Cons:
-Obviously it's going to be harder to marathon than Gwazi just given the very nature of the park it's in.

-While this certainly has the best locker set up I've experienced, it can still get pretty stressful. A couple times I experienced an overflow in the locker area between people trying to get to the lockers and people trying to queue up for the metal detectors and there was really no way to tell which crowd was for which. Stuff like that just REALLY aggravates my social anxiety. I'm also not crazy about having to have your park ticket on you when you ride. I imagine there must be a TON of headaches regarding lost tickets. When I wore certain pairs of walking shorts with very loose pockets I pretty much had to stuff the ticket in my sock haha. @D Hulk how is the StEve locker situation in comparison? The fact that you get to keep your phone through the "boring" part of the queue with all the switchbacks in the main foyer before the statue is certainly a plus.

-While Gwazi is just non stop craziness from beginning to end, the first half of Velocicoaster, while great, really is just a warm up for the CRAZINESS of the second half. This isn't really a bad thing per say, but it does give Gwazi the slight edge as far as pacing. The first half still gives you plenty of floater and has the cool low to the ground close calls with the statues and rock work, but things don't REALLY get going until you hit that second launch.

Verdict: I'm going to give the SLIGHT edge to Universal here, though it's very close. At the end of the day the "warm-up" factor Gwazi has is what really puts it a notch below the competition. Granted like I said, Gwazi is still an INCREDIBLY solid #2. EVERY coaster enthusiast really needs to make the pilgrimage out here to experience this epic one/two punch.

Expect MUCH more to come from the trip including RANKINGS for the Halloween Horror Nights mazes and Busch Gardens coasters. All in all I have to say Universal Orlando just REALLY freaking blew it out of the water for me this trip. I can't even imagine how huge of a cosmic shift Epic Universe is going to have on the Orlando landscape, because I didn't even MISS Disney the whole time I was there. Disney better get off their butts and think up something a little more large scale than a freaking Figment meet n' greet that will take a YEAR to launch in the park for some reason, or a cloned coaster that took the better half of a decade to actually build. Universal is just running circles around Disney right now, and they are THE current undisputed king of theme parks in my view.​

TheOriginalTiki

On another note, I'm REALLY not a fan of Hulk. It's crazy that the thing JUST got completely retracked because it easily has one of the worst rattles of any B&M I've done. Outside of the initial launch (which is indeed a pretty great coaster moment) the ride just does NOTHING more me that other B&M loopers (like Medusa at my home park, for example) don't do better. The final third or so where you just meander around is also entirely pointless and I think it's hilarious that the on-ride photo happens in THAT section of all places.

This is probably a super unpopular opinion, but I think Rip Ride Rock It is a FAR superior attraction. Not only does it have the awesome benefit of the secret song menu which I fully took advantage of (riding a Universal coaster with Muppets music is indeed surreal) but for the life of me I don't get where the roughness on this thing is that everyone talks about. Hulk beats me up WAAAY more. The one negative to Rip Ride is probably the amount of block brakes, but that's a necessary evil for a coaster with that high of a capacity and I honestly don't think the pacing of the brakes is any worse than say...California Screamin' for example.

Last edited:

ThemeParkPriest

it easily has one of the worst rattles of any B&M I've done.
Yeah comfortability is a major factor especially for us dinosaurs. If Magnum is still open at Cedar Point when you get there…watch out!!
Heading back to Six Flags over Georgia tomorrow with some friends. I'll finally hit Dare Devil Dive and I'll try to survive Superman again.
Nice! I went to Six Flags with college friends twice. Once at Great America when I was living in Milwaukee and once to New England when I was living in Boston.

Mickeynerd17

Original Poster
how is the StEve locker situation in comparison?
From my experience in June, the lockers were for people who had too many items in their pockets (me).

After I finished putting my stuff in my locker, I was either funneled to the fast lane queue or allowed to pick either queue. It was different each time I rode, but it wasn't as chaotic as you're describing. You also didn't need to have your physical park ticket to ride, so there was no confusion with lost tickets.

Metal detectors were right before the locker area, meaning you were sent to the lockers if you tripped the detector.

TheOriginalTiki

And here we go folks, the Busch Gardens Tampa coaster ranking.

9. Sand Serpent
Didn't bother with it this time around, but based on sole ride on it for the credit grab my last time at the park it ranks up there with Coast Rider at Knotts as one of the worst coasters I've done. Coaster Rider I hate for the restraints, this one is just plain boring. A wild mouse CAN be a really fun time depending on the pacing (the spinning on at Fun Spot Kissimmee was absolutely bonkers in this regard) but this thing just crawled. I wouldn't be shocked at all if this and the inverted pirate ship get removed in the future.

8. Scorpion
With Colossus at Lagoon being a surprise hit for me, I was curious to see how this stacked up obviously knowing it was essentially that ride's smaller cousin. Well...it doesn't. There's really no bite to the laterals here at all, which goes to show how just a bit more height, an extra loop, and probably a more favorable climate can really go a long way as the laterals on Colossus are completely next level and the craziest I've ever experienced, to the point of getting me more into that side of coaster forces as a whole and wanting to seek out larger scale lateral machines like I305.

7. Tigris
It's Superman Ultimate Flight, but worse!! After experiencing the dreaded comfort collars, I can only say that I'm SOO glad our Sky Rocket 2 is the one model to be gifted with lap bars and makes me appreciate Discovery Kingdom's Superman all the more. The lap bars make all the difference in the world as far as experiencing the forces on this layout go. I heard some GP reactions to this thing be incredibly mind-blown the one credit-grab I got on it, so I guess it works for the crowd that isn't aware of the clone factor haha. Also I had no idea how much LONGER these trains were compared to Superman. That really caught me off guard. It's pretty much two of Superman's trains attached to each other. I think this also kind of weakens the pacing just a wee bit.

6. Kumba
307570012_5775061149199666_1915862140841175990_n.jpg

I love the setting of this thing, and the forces are indeed strong. Unfortunately my problem really does come down to the old school B&M trains. There's really no rattle, it runs smooth, but immediately upon climbing in the seat with three other strangers as a single rider I remembered why I only did this once the first time around and likewise this trip...you REALLY get cramped in shoulder to shoulder. As someone with social anxiety, this just made Kumba a no go. Easily THE stand out as far as being photogenic goes, though.

5. Cobra's Curse
307570074_5775059869199794_4520322998332267268_n.jpg
There is NO escape. This ride is so high on this list for the queue hands down. It's Disney/Universal quality and lays out the story in such a fun way. As far as the ride experience goes it's the most forceless major coaster of the park but it's got a sheer fun factor. I also love that the ride is very well paced into three distinct "Acts" with the forwards, backwards, and spinning portions. The elevator lift and faceoff with the snake statue are obviously yet another iconic coaster set piece this park can add to its portfolio. Just an all around solid family attraction and the closest thing the park has to an immersive themed experience.

4. Cheetah Hunt

Ahh yes. I have such a nostalgic connection to this ride. Much like Mystery Mine for Dollywood, this is the attraction that put the park on the map for me and I was pretty fixated on it since its opening. It really is a damn solid family coaster, pretty much perfect in that regard. As far as actual forces go it beats stuff like Firechaser Express hands down while still being glass smooth for the dinosaurs in the crowd. I love, love, LOVE the section of low to the ground turns by the rockwork and rivers. The landscaping of the coasters in general with this park is next level, but I think Cheetah Hunt does it in a way that really fits with the theme of the ride. I truly think it's one of the most well themed coasters on the planet as far as giving you the "Experience" of being a cheetah.

3. Sheikra
307456235_5775062715866176_2530148413024465049_n.jpg
I want to start with the BIG asterisk that I only did this once before in the middle row. This trip was my first time on a B&M dive coaster specifically on an edge seat, and holy hell what a difference the edge seat makes!!! There's probably more seasoned coaster enthusiasts than me who will find my reaction to this a bit quaint since I'm well aware of the "clone" factor of a lot of these models, but damn as a first time experience there's very little that compares to it. Just all out terrifying in the front row, and in the three times I did it (once in each of the three rows) it always caught me off guard. The splash zone is also a genuinely impressive iconic set piece for a coaster, with some brief but very effective terrain work and tunnels that go a long way towards making this layout really pop.

2. Montu
307650629_5775059749199806_7892785230076835630_n.jpg

I got one ride on this late in the day when I was in a rush and a ton of things were going wrong the only other time I was in the park, so I REALLY owed this legendary B&M monster a reride. Well...the legends were true. The terrain work on this is once again completely next level. The famed Raven Turn is like a miniature, more comfortable version of a flying coaster pretzel loop. The ride pacing, while still having a fairly standard mix of B&M inversions, just really rips through the course. I'm sorry to say to Lagoon, but THIS has the best laterals of any ride I've ever experienced. In the same way something like Gwazi and Velocicoaster offer endless airtime, this is just foot-numbing goodness from front to back. It's a challenge to marathon, but a ride experience that left me breathless all three times (one front, two back)

1.Iron Gwazi
307554165_5775052599200521_6194569909276068012_n.jpg

I mean...come on. ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
Glad you enjoyed the trip!

Velocicoaster is such an amazing ride - currently holds my #2 spot only behind Intimidator 305. I agree with the cons though in regards to marathoning due to being in IoA, but early morning was able to get on and off with 10-15 min waits.

Have a Cedar Point/Kennywood/Hershey trip planned later in October, with Busch Gardens Tampa tentatively planned for January. My goal is to make Iron Gwazi my 100th coaster - I think based on your review @TheOriginalTiki that's a pretty solid pick!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom