Rollar Coaster Theme Park???

disneydisney

Original Poster
When I was down in Florida, a Disney Cast Member told my friend that they were gonna build a rollar coaster park, as the fifth park, to compete with IOA. .....????

NowInc

The rumored "Coaster kingdom" is exactly that..a rumor...

Disney would never do such a thing because it would cut off too much of their key demographics (young kids and older adults)...and would only aim towards the teenagers...

mickeyman

If disney did it right they could appeal to everyone. They could have a kiddieland With smaller versions of the same rides. I think this would be a great idea. If it was done the right way they could put universal out of buisness. There would be no need to go there if disney has the same types of rides.:sohappy:

NowInc

Originally posted by mickeyman
If disney did it right they could appeal to everyone. They could have a kiddieland With smaller versions of the same rides. I think this would be a great idea. If it was done the right way they could put universal out of buisness. There would be no need to go there if disney has the same types of rides.:sohappy:

eeeh...yes and no...

Disney would have a hard time themeing it...building an entire park around coasters doesnt allow for easy design...

The STRONGEST rumor so far is a Disney version of "Disney Seas" (like what they built in Tokyo) as the 5th park in FL...but thats a good 7 years away at least...they have too many other things going on right now...

disneydisney

Original Poster
What about "If you can dream it, you can do it" anything is possibly. They also could create a park we never thought of. But you could theme rollar coaster around the villians in a Villian Theme Park and also have rides in other lands and a land of it's own for young kids. Anything is possibly!!!

NowInc

Originally posted by disneydisney
What about "If you can dream it, you can do it" anything is possibly. They also could create a park we never thought of. But you could theme rollar coaster around the villians in a Villian Theme Park and also have rides in other lands and a land of it's own for young kids. Anything is possibly!!!

Im not disputing that...but the whole idea of a theme part revolving around 1.) Villians and/or 2.) coasters would really limit what they could do....it would be much easier to make it a "land" and be able to section it off than to dedicate the entire thing to one re-occuring theme...

ToTBellHop

they want more people in all of their parks, they don't want to leech teens away from every other park. That's why it makes more sense to build coasters at the existing parks...it's an easy way to raise attendance at one park, but the second you build an entire park like that, you get Islands of Adventure...they aren't getting new guests, people are just deciding to go to Islands instead of the original Universal...same effect Animal Kingdom had right after it opened, only it ended up making Epcot, MGM, and Animal Kingdom relatively even with attendance...cuz a lot of people weren't too pleased with Animal Kingdom. Building a new park with a small number of attractions just doesn't work too well, so disney is not even in the POSITION to build a new park...Animal Kingdom still needs SO MUCH work. And...it's also not feasable to build 10 coasters in one park at one time...with good disney theming, it'd be VERY expensive, and there aren't that many indoor or or short-outdoor coasters you can make (remember, tall coasters don't work in Florida w/ all the thunder during disney's busiest months). I would be pleased with a Bolliger and Mabillard coaster at Animal Kingdom (the Beastly Kingdom coaster) and the proposed Matterhorn style coaster at Epcot...that'd be seven coasters on the disney property--no need to build a park with another ten...17 is excessive. I do think Epcot has waited long enough for a coaster, though...a coaster along w/ Test Track and Mission: SPACE would do well to kill the "Epcot is boring" attitude that keeps its attendance down around that of the much smaller, newer MGM...and I think most people would enjoy a Matterhorn style ride with two tracks like the original, but one being family-oriented, and the other being geared toward the thrill crowd that Epcot doesn't seem to please (I'm in that crowd and I love epcot, but I do think disney needs SOMETHING for teens in every park...
Kyle

NowInc

Originally posted by DogsRule!
they want more people in all of their parks, they don't want to leech teens away from every other park. That's why it makes more sense to build coasters at the existing parks...it's an easy way to raise attendance at one park, but the second you build an entire park like that, you get Islands of Adventure...they aren't getting new guests, people are just deciding to go to Islands instead of the original Universal...same effect Animal Kingdom had right after it opened, only it ended up making Epcot, MGM, and Animal Kingdom relatively even with attendance...cuz a lot of people weren't too pleased with Animal Kingdom. Building a new park with a small number of attractions just doesn't work too well, so disney is not even in the POSITION to build a new park...Animal Kingdom still needs SO MUCH work. And...it's also not feasable to build 10 coasters in one park at one time...with good disney theming, it'd be VERY expensive, and there aren't that many indoor or or short-outdoor coasters you can make (remember, tall coasters don't work in Florida w/ all the thunder during disney's busiest months). I would be pleased with a Bolliger and Mabillard coaster at Animal Kingdom (the Beastly Kingdom coaster) and the proposed Matterhorn style coaster at Epcot...that'd be seven coasters on the disney property--no need to build a park with another ten...17 is excessive. I do think Epcot has waited long enough for a coaster, though...a coaster along w/ Test Track and Mission: SPACE would do well to kill the "Epcot is boring" attitude that keeps its attendance down around that of the much smaller, newer MGM...and I think most people would enjoy a Matterhorn style ride with two tracks like the original, but one being family-oriented, and the other being geared toward the thrill crowd that Epcot doesn't seem to please (I'm in that crowd and I love epcot, but I do think disney needs SOMETHING for teens in every park...
Kyle

Well said ;)

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by disneydisney
When I was down in Florida, a Disney Cast Member told my friend that they were gonna build a rollar coaster park, as the fifth park, to compete with IOA. .....????

May I ask why Disney needs to compete with IOA?? According to the 2001 attendance figures, Disney parks (including Disneyland in California) holds the top 5 spots, IOA is 7. When a family park in California can compete with IOA and win, why does Disney have to build a coaster park in Florida to compete with it?

NowInc

Re: Re: Rollar Coaster Theme Park???

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

May I ask why Disney needs to compete with IOA?? According to the 2001 attendance figures, Disney parks (including Disneyland in California) holds the top 5 spots, IOA is 7. When a family park in California can compete with IOA and win, why does Disney have to build a coaster park in Florida to compete with it?

Exactly...seems to be that IoA isnt really a great Idea...granted it has won "awards" for the best coasters etc...but if no ones there to fill the seats..it means nothing..

The Mom

Premium Member
Re: Re: Re: Rollar Coaster Theme Park???

Originally posted by NowInc

Exactly...seems to be that IoA isnt really a great Idea...granted it has won "awards" for the best coasters etc...but if no ones there to fill the seats..it means nothing..

NowInc, I agree. My parents have been to WDW several times, but never to IOA...aside from Poseidon's Fury, and Cat In the Hat, there's nothing for them to do! Parents of small children have the same problem. I myself am not a big coaster fan, and neither is my son (yet.) My husband can't tolerate spinning rides or Spiderman, so we always split up when in the park. Some of the rides are just too wet for colder weather! I don't mind getting a little wet, but I don't like being soaked! I could go (or could until my dad became so ill) to WDW and find lots of "gentle" attractions for the folks, plenty of things to do when my children were tiny, but still find a thrill ride or two for my husband.

NowInc

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rollar Coaster Theme Park???

Originally posted by marciahahn

NowInc, I agree. My parents have been to WDW several times, but never to IOA...aside from Poseidon's Fury, and Cat In the Hat, there's nothing for them to do! Parents of small children have the same problem. I myself am not a big coaster fan, and neither is my son (yet.) My husband can't tolerate spinning rides or Spiderman, so we always split up when in the park. Some of the rides are just too wet for colder weather! I don't mind getting a little wet, but I don't like being soaked! I could go (or could until my dad became so ill) to WDW and find lots of "gentle" attractions for the folks, plenty of things to do when my children were tiny, but still find a thrill ride or two for my husband.

Exactly..thats where the whole "demographic" issue I mentioned above comes into play...IoS was oviouslty designed to be a thrill park..and as that..it does well...but it cuts off too many people and causes them to lose buisness...not everyone likes coasters...

dizpins14

Disney is no where close to building a 5th theme park at WDW. They are way behind in putting in new rides and keeping rides up to date (cut backs). However I looked on one of the 100 year celebration candy tins and in the clouds next to the icons of the parks there are cranes building something. Sort of looks like a castle. What does this mean? You would have to be Michael to know that

mickeyman

i bought the 100 years of magic puzzle and it has the same thing. A crane building something. can't quite tell what it is. It might just be A reference to what walt had said about disney world never being completed.

General Grizz

Remember - Disney attractions have to be unique, meaning that they have to have a story - no, not like the Incredible Hulk, where you have an 8-minute ride in the open on a green track. This is what Walt Disney tried to AVOID from. If Disney wants to build a "Roller-coaster" park, let's hope they put a variety of thrills.

And I am sure that a lot of teens would not like to ruin their "reputations" on visiting "Disney parks - yuck!" I am not saying that all teenagers would do this, as all of my personal friends who are teens are actually Disney fans. Who knows...it's a huge risk - and with all the recent cutbacks, they should concentrate on maintaining the magic in the other parks for while more before moving on to a more grand idea...

Roller coasters are usually what older teenagers would like...but all it is is a quick turn of loops and fast speed. Personally, I think this is a horrible idea. A park ALL about coasters? I HOPE Disney can dream up better things...

monorail256

ew roller coasters! :rolleyes: i am with the fort wilderness guy... it would prob. totally be all for the teenages... and once a "family" would get to the park it would be so overcrowded with them that the lines would be terrible (go to ceder point if you dont believe me!) i am not that big of a roller coaster fan, i much prefer the disney style type of rides, such as star tours, spaceship earth, and things that are interesting and catchy. o well my say so is over with
34 more days till I go!!
:slurp:

Luau Cove

Let's face it. Maybe the next park will include some roller coasters, but a whole park made of roller coasters would be not only be inadequate for Disney since it's always remarking it's motto that Disney World is a land for grown-ups and kids, and since all parks include this basic idea, why are we doubting that the same base will be strict for any other upcoming Disney park.
Besides, it would be boring to go to a coaster after another. It's true most people like thrilling rides, I do too, but a whole day at the roller coasters you end up desiring PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN or any other calm attraction where you can just relax and enjoy the ride. I know Disney is aware of that.
-->LUAU

ToTBellHop

exactly...each park needs a balance of thrills, slow-paced rides, and shows. It's the Disney experience! A roller coaster park is not feasible in Florida...

Herbie53

Premium Member
Re: Re: Rollar Coaster Theme Park???

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

I agree. Let Disney be Disney! While Disney innovates, Universal can play catch up, just like always.

ChesireCat

I know this all wasn't intentional, but as a teenager (18), it's kind of offensive to hear people imply that all it takes to satisfy teenagers is whatever cheap thrill ride/coaster a park can throw together. And to imply that adults aren't as into thrill rides is a little off. The majority of people who enjoy roller coaster type rides probably are teenagers but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy other types of attractions also.
To imply that EPCOT would be "boring" to me because I'm young is insulting. I happen to LOVE EPCOT, and my favorite ride ever is POtC. Disney is better than any "thrill" park in the world in my opinion and I know a lot of my peers agree.
Our attention span is in fact longer than 30 seconds, a fact many adults seem to be unaware of. We can enjoy Disney as much as any adult or child. I know I enjoy it now even more than I did as a small child because now all the little things a person doesn't notice when they're younger can be more appreciated.
I know I probably came off sort of angry, but I'm not. I know you guys weren't trying to start a fight and neither am I. I love your opinions, I just wanted to let you know that teens are into a lot more than thrill rides.:animwink:
(whew)
Okay......I'm done ranting.
~sasha:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom