Roll It ...Again............

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
I didn’t care for the story of 7 and 8. It was almost like I’d seen it before...

But that’s just me. I had Star Wars bedroom wallpaper. The first time around.

7 was a reboot - and I get why they did that. Agree the story wasn't exactly "fresh" but I think that movie was made with the fans in mind.
My biggest critique in TFA is that they had an opportunity to reunite Ford, Hamill, and Fisher in the same scene...and they kinda blew that.

shernernum

Inam just hear to point out that people with no idea how the film industry works blame Ryan Johnson. JJ Abrams gets praise, yet he approved everything as an executive producer.

Some people don't like a movie, we get it.
I think you overestimate the power of the Executive Producer. Many of them have absolutely none. Now the Producer (ie Kathleen Kennedy) that’s where the real power in this setup is.
For example, Stan Lee has been listed as an executive producer on every Marvel movie.? It is often just an honorary credit.

celluloid

I think you overestimate the power of the Executive Producer. Many of them have absolutely none. Now the Producer (ie Kathleen Kennedy) that’s where the real power in this setup is.
For example, Stan Lee has been listed as an executive producer on every Marvel movie.? It is often just an honorary credit.

It is a team of people that approve things, not a person. Just pointing out the irony.

EOD K9

A comment I saw on this teaser sums up my feelings: "The saga comes to an end? Feels like it never even started."

And I'm so beyond tired of the cliched editing and construction of modern trailers.
Generic rhetorical question....just as characters from the original trilogy made it into this set, will some of the newer characters be involved down the road?

MuteSuperstar

Generic rhetorical question....just as characters from the original trilogy made it into this set, will some of the newer characters be involved down the road?

Don't think anyone knows yet. I would hope they try some totally new stuff. I don't really know anyone who thinks these newer characters resonate in any way shape or form like the ones from the OT. I'm sure the kids were clamoring for the Admiral Holdo (in)action figure.

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

I posted this a while back (but I'll post it again).......Ruin Johnson rebooted Spaceballs with the The Last Jedi.....

Has there ever been a ship in the Star Wars universe that has run out of gas...before TLJ? Sound familiar? The Eagle 5 from Spaceballs ran out of gas, it was part of the plot, they needed to get to Druidia........just like it was in TLJ - they needed to get to Crete)

The antagonist (Kylo Ren) a Darth Vader wannabe keeps taking off his helmet to get face time.........much like Dark Helmet in Spaceballs.

Both of these antagonists have a commander of their ship that is incompetent - Hux in SW and Colonel Sanders in Spaceballs.

Rey is "force" sensitive and does not know who her parents are......Lonestar in Spaceballs is "schwartz" sensitive and also is unsure of his parents.

L3 37 is Dot Matrix. ....................................................................(there's more- a lot more)

Wait...are you saying there are similarities between a Star Wars film and Spaceballs? No way! Really?!?!?

Your right...you forgot “Yoda” could be compared to “Yogurt!”

shernernum

It is a team of people that approve things, not a person. Just pointing out the irony.
I understand, but the point being made had to do with JJ Abrams signing off of Rian Johnson’s work...or at least being part of the team that did. However, every report at the time pretty much said that Johnson was given creative freedom to do the movie he wanted by Kennedy and LucasFilm and once that happened Abrams had no involvement at all. It was only after TLJ was so divisive and they parted ways with Trevorow that they turned back to Abrams to repair the damage.
Abrams himself said that when he was brought back for Ep IX they had a release date but no script.

Movielover

No. What I'm saying is that obviously Spaceballs parodied "space movies/tv" Including (Star Wars) - but TLJ parodied Spaceballs.

Don't forget Rogue One having the planet shield with a single gateway that has to be open to access the planet, and the comment about Lord Helmet relates more to Force Awakens since Kylo only wears the mask once in TLJ.

I think Kathleen Kennedy is secretly a big Spaceballs fan.

celluloid

It is not about the power. It is about the team of people being okay with it. JJ Abrams is not thinking "I gotta save this franchise" People need to get past that delusion. It is cool if you did not like one of the movies, or any of them or love all of them. But calling the director of the one you did not like "Ruin" instead of his first name is petty and childish. All of those exectutive producers are fine with what was done. If you hate one middle installment in this new trilogy, than cool. Many people hated Episode 1 or the prequel trilogy entirely and if you feel it is not of quality than it will not stand the test of time, and even if it does, it will not take away what you love about it. This coming from someone who does not care for Ghostbusters 2016. I don't support that in my love for the Ghostbusters, and I can explain why, but I am not going to insult people involved or those that do.

shernernum

It is not about the power. It is about the team of people being okay with it. JJ Abrams is not thinking "I gotta save this franchise" People need to get past that delusion. It is cool if you did not like one of the movies, or any of them or love all of them. But calling the director of the one you did not like "Ruin" instead of his first name is petty and childish. All of those exectutive producers are fine with what was done. If you hate one middle installment in this new trilogy, than cool. Many people hated Episode 1 or the prequel trilogy entirely and if you feel it is not of quality than it will not stand the test of time, and even if it does, it will not take away what you love about it. This coming from someone who does not care for Ghostbusters 2016. I don't support that in my love for the Ghostbusters, and I can explain why, but I am not going to insult people involved or those that do.
I wasn’t the one who called him Ruin. In fact I didn’t actually comment on the quality of TLJ at all. Probably meant to direct that to someone else. The only point I was ever truly making is that Abrams played no role in the decision making over that movie.

Sundown

The Last Jedi. Wish I could forget that movie. Or better...somehow have it erased.

It was the first time I left a theater after watching a Star Wars and said "Hmn. I feel pretty much "meh" about what I just watched". Now, this is a franchise I grew-up on.

Bad story and boring story. Luke Skywalker is the ever-optimist, a hero, never gave up on his Dad...the most evil villain ever. In TLJ, he was a bitter joke who almost killed his nephew cause he sensed the dark side in him. So much other tripe thrown in there as well.

But...I absolutely LOVED Solo. That poor movie took the brunt of the bad reaction to The Last Jedi.

cmb5002

I didn’t care for the story of 7 and 8. It was almost like I’d seen it before...

But that’s just me. I had Star Wars bedroom wallpaper. The first time around.
The Last Jedi. Wish I could forget that movie. Or better...somehow have it erased.

It was the first time I left a theater after watching a Star Wars and said "Hmn. I feel pretty much "meh" about what I just watched". Now, this is a franchise I grew-up on.

Ditto. 7 was an okay start, but 8 for all it's parallels, just broke so far from the saga that it doesn't even feel like a Star Wars movie to me. It didn't just break everything that was setup in 7, it broke the history of 1-6 as well. I was done with it once I saw turbolasers that arched in space, seemly due to gravity, where there isn't any gravity. I get that there are many laws of physics that are broken in the movie, but that just shattered the 4th wall for me. And it was just one of many nonsensical directorial decisions, that I won't go over in detail.

While 8 may have had some interesting character developments, I would argue the characters took just as many steps backwards in their development. Further, every other Star Wars film has had some sort of emotional punch for me. Even 1-3, for all their issues, had that big grand moment that made me go "Wow". Every one of those potential moments in 8 were ruined by the the ridiculousness before and after. In my humble opinion, Mr. Abrams & Co. has a great many things to fix in 9.

Solo wasn't a bad flick, my biggest issues with it were more based on the color and lighting of the film itself. It's simultaneously very dark and washed out looking. Looks like crap in my home theater.

My rating of Disney Wars:
  1. Rogue One
  2. Solo
  3. TFA
  4. TLJ
Edit: And somehow my post was auto-formatted and made TLJ #4. It should be #1000.

Last edited:

FCivish3

I posted this a while back (but I'll post it again).......Ruin Johnson rebooted Spaceballs with the The Last Jedi.....

Has there ever been a ship in the Star Wars universe that has run out of gas...before TLJ? Sound familiar? The Eagle 5 from Spaceballs ran out of gas, it was part of the plot, they needed to get to Druidia........just like it was in TLJ - they needed to get to Crete)

The antagonist (Kylo Ren) a Darth Vader wannabe keeps taking off his helmet to get face time.........much like Dark Helmet in Spaceballs.

Both of these antagonists have a commander of their ship that is incompetent - Hux in SW and Colonel Sanders in Spaceballs.

Rey is "force" sensitive and does not know who her parents are......Lonestar in Spaceballs is "schwartz" sensitive and also is unsure of his parents.

L3 37 is Dot Matrix. ....................................................................(there's more- a lot more)
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Spaceballs is so appropriate.

Intentionally or not, the poor choices made by the people involved in TLJ ruined and squandered so many great possibilities. And the characters are clearly driven by the plot needs, rather than a more natural flow where the characters would do what they do because of who they are, in character. If you have a plot and you need to shoehorn your characters around to make them fit it, then you are not a very good writer, or director.

And that is besides the fact that your plot just sucks in general. Luke seemed to blame so much on the Jedi Order. He blamed it for all evil in the world. Which is so laughable. The Jedi didn't exist for generations (thousands of years?) as legendary "doers of good" and "righters of wrongs" because they were stupid and had nothing to offer. Only he had nothing to offer, so he decided to take down the edifice with him. There was no wisdom there. No understanding of true reality on the part of the character. And that is so disappointing, coming from Luke, who should have known much better. His actions were just a 'plot need' that the writers and director created because they weren't imaginative enough to come up with something good.

General Hux

Nice start.............now take it somewhere..........and JJ.......fix this mess (TLJ)..........

SWGE and the SW Hotel are counting on you....................as am I..............

Unfortunately Rian Johnson has painted things into a corner so bad that even with JJ working at top of his game, there is only so much that can be done. @ main problems that cannot be fixed at this point are:
  1. There was never any story arch planned (like Marvel does with Feige).
  2. The Last Jedi ruined so many aspects of what arch there was (or was planned by JJ), that to fix them just makes Ep. 9 have to focus on a bunch of retcons, instead of just focusing on completing a well thought out and compelling dramatic trilogy.

Anything JJ does, no matter how good, cannot change the core damage that has been done by Kennedy and Johnson. Like a car that has been in an accident, once the frame is bent, you can only do so much to make it like new. The best paint job in the world will not fix the interior damage.

Unfortunately what we are left with is a hodgepodge of fan service (TFA), artsy expectation subversion by a giggling clown (TFA), and more fan service mixed with retcon (The Rise of Skywalker). And yes, incredible visuals and production value.

What is missing from all that is the core of what makes Star Wars great... a dramatic sci-fi space opera trilogy with a coherent overarching theme. What Disney has with this trilogy is sad actually. By all apearances, it seems Iger said "lets cash in on this and make a trilogy", but then forgot that a trilogy should at least have a rough outline of the main plot. One thing that is 100% certain.... this trilogy DID NOT have any overarching plot planned. JJ may have had his ideas, but the ringleader Kathleen Kennedy decided to let Johnson go in a different direction... mid trilogy! It's sad really. And surprisingly amateurish for a company like Disney to let this happen. It's the kind of thing you expect from the Transformers movies or something... just throw something at the wall every 2 years and cash in...

But not for Star Wars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom