Roger Clemens...is he worth it?

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
The Yankees are in dire need of pitching and their record is reflecting that. Even as a Red Sox fan...this is great news...but the Yankees are not over and done with and will give the AL East title a run for its money by the time August/September come around.

Now...that being said, is Roger Clemens worth the 28 million dollars that he is receiving?

Let's break this down.

The most he'll pitch is 29 games. That's $965,517 per start.
Last year, for 22 million...he pitched 19 games...and had a record of 7-6.

So, for just a little over a .500 pitcher, is the money worth it to the Yankees?

Yes, I would've liked to have seen him come to Boston (moreso for "closure") but I feel that the Red Sox organization and the Astros' organization made a smart move to save their money on an aging Rocket. He wasn't that impressive last year (although he still has better "stuff" than most pitchers out there) and I just feel another year added to that arm isn't going to make him any better.

What does everybody else think? I'd love to hear from some Yankees fans to see their take on the situation. (Sure, it's not your money so you're just happy to have the Rocket back...but think about it logically, do you think he'll have THAT much of an impact on the team that justifies being the top paid pitcher?)

tigsmom

The Yankees need pitching and Roger has a proven track record. Its good to see him pitching for us instead of against us. :lookaroun
but I still think since he retired he shouldn't be back.

NOBODY is worth that much money. I've said it before, there is no one in this world that is worth more than $1 million/year. The guy is going to be making
$4.5 million a month! :brick::brick:

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
The Yankees need pitching and Roger has a proven track record. Its good to see him pitching for us instead of against us. :lookaroun

NOBODY is worth that much money. I've said it before, there is no one in this world that is worth more than $1 million/year. The guy is going to be making

Understandable...but he's not the Rocket he once was. He's not a dominating force. Going 7-6 in 19 starts isn't exactly a great record (In the NL mind you...where the hitting isn't as good as the AL). Coming as a Yankees fan...don't you feel that the $28mil would've been better spent going out and finding a few younger pitchers than one aging one that really has no "need" to play? Roger doesn't need to prove anything...so if he goes out and pitches .500, it's really no skin off of his teeth. Roger isn't exactly a team player...he's a "HIM" player (This is proven when he doesn't travel with the team if he's not scheduled to pitch...just look, Pettite has already come in for relief once this year...what if they wanted Roger to...guess what, he's not around.) . Like I said, I'd like to have him on the Sox, but notsomuch for his ability to throw...but to put a better taste of Boston in his mouth.

tigsmom

Understandable...but he's not the Rocket he once was. He's not a dominating force. Going 7-6 in 19 starts isn't exactly a great record (In the NL mind you...where the hitting isn't as good as the AL). Coming as a Yankees fan...don't you feel that the $28mil would've been better spent going out and finding a few younger pitchers than one aging one that really has no "need" to play? Roger doesn't need to prove anything...so if he goes out and pitches .500, it's really no skin off of his teeth. Roger isn't exactly a team player...he's a "HIM" player (This is proven when he doesn't travel with the team if he's not scheduled to pitch...just look, Pettite has already come in for relief once this year...what if they wanted Roger to...guess what, he's not around.) . Like I said, I'd like to have him on the Sox, but notsomuch for his ability to throw...but to put a better taste of Boston in his mouth.

I definitely agree! There has to be a few pitchers out there that could give the Yankees some wins over the next few years that would have been better choices. And who ever thought we would see Pettite in relief! :eek:

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
I definitely agree! There has to be a few pitchers out there that could give the Yankees some wins over the next few years that would have been better choices. And who ever thought we would see Pettite in relief! :eek:

It's interesting to see how the Steinbrenner works.

They had Andy and Roger on their team...didn't want to pay to keep them...let them go...and then re-sign them for more money years after their prime. What are they thinking?!?!?!

tigsmom

It's interesting to see how the Steinbrenner works.

They had Andy and Roger on their team...didn't want to pay to keep them...let them go...and then re-sign them for more money years after their prime. What are they thinking?!?!?!

Its not Steinbrenner, its Cashman.

Rumor has it that Steinbrenner hasn't been the same since his "collapse". :lookaroun

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the Yankees' pitching is even all that bad....they've just had bad luck due to injuries...but with all of the money they are throwing around, Roger Clemens just seems like a "trophy" to them rather than a player that they need.

tigsmom

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the Yankees' pitching is even all that bad....they've just had bad luck due to injuries...but with all of the money they are throwing around, Roger Clemens just seems like a "trophy" to them rather than a player that they need.

They have a history of picking up the name players who are on their way out.

:shrug:

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Is he worth it? No. Not even close.

I agree with all points being made here.

I honestly don't want to sound like a "Boo-hoo the Red Sox didn't get Clemens so I'm going to bash the Yankee's decision to get him" kind of person. I have been against going after him since I heard that the Sox were one of the three teams interested.

For 3 million...sure...for 28 million...no way.

For the record...I was against going after JD Drew for that kind of money too. At least he's pulling his weight...although Trot Nixon just went 5 for 5 last night.

BeachClubVillas

I don't think any player should be making that much money. Like Scott pointed out, Clemens is earning more than the entire Devil Rays team. That's just ridiculous. How is a team like the D-Rays supposed to remain competetive against a team like the Yankees or the Red Sox who have money like that to spend?

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
I don't think any player should be making that much money. Like Scott pointed out, Clemens is earning more than the entire Devil Rays team. That's just ridiculous. How is a team like the D-Rays supposed to remain competetive against a team like the Yankees or the Red Sox who have money like that to spend?

The fact of the matter is...Tampa Bay IS still competitive. They are only a game behind the Yankees.

Scott Kazmir and Rocco Baldelli are tops in my book. I'd take a Scott Kazmir in a second...and, in my eyes, Rocco Baldelli is the best centerfielder in the league.

I even said to a guy that I work with, I'd rather see the Sox go after Kazmir than Clemens...and it would've been wiser for the Yankees to do the same! Heck, if they're going to throw that money around, I don't think Kazmir or the Devil Rays would say no to it.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
***TOTALLY OFF TOPIC***

Did the Trip Countdown clocks get stuck or something? Mine says I leave in 15 days but I leave on the 19th :lol:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
As an Astros fan, I didnt really see the benefite of having Roger come back last season. I was hoping he would have made his move earlier than now, given the distraction to the organizations involved. I think the decision boils down to Clemens and Pettit are best buds. Clemens was going to the Yanks the whole time, it was a matter of working out the deal.

I too think its rather strange that both players end up back where they came from. It all boils down to, the sport has become a business. Clemens will draw crouds. Crouds bring money. Money makes the business better.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Yes, like I said...a trophy.

Clemens will go to the Hall of Fame...and deservedly so.

This carnival that goes on with him starting late, never knowing which team he's going to...and all the hooplah...HOOOPLAH!!!! around him just makes him lesser of a person/player in my mind.

Talk about someone that needs to be taken off of his high horse...and...as a Sox fan...I hope this is the year.

SpongeScott

The fact of the matter is...Tampa Bay IS still competitive. They are only a game behind the Yankees.

Scott Kazmir and Rocco Baldelli are tops in my book. I'd take a Scott Kazmir in a second...and, in my eyes, Rocco Baldelli is the best centerfielder in the league.

I even said to a guy that I work with, I'd rather see the Sox go after Kazmir than Clemens...and it would've been wiser for the Yankees to do the same! Heck, if they're going to throw that money around, I don't think Kazmir or the Devil Rays would say no to it.
Tampa Bay is doing it the right way for a small franchise team. They building it through the minor leagues and they are signing guys to long-term contracts before they hit free agency/arbitration. I expect Kazmir to be signed to one soon, if he isn't already. With Kaz, CC, and Rocco, we've got a great future ahead of us. A few key additions is what we need to put the pieces together. We're not doing bad for a team with only a $24 million payroll.

I've heard rumors that Baldelli will be the next Yankees CF. We'll see. I don't mind as long as they pony up some pitching. Rocco is signed for the next 4-5 years.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Tampa Bay is doing it the right way for a small franchise team. They building it through the minor leagues and they are signing guys to long-term contracts before they hit free agency/arbitration. I expect Kazmir to be signed to one soon, if he isn't already. With Kaz, CC, and Rocco, we've got a great future ahead of us. A few key additions is what we need to put the pieces together. We're not doing bad for a team with only a $24 million payroll.

I've heard rumors that Baldelli will be the next Yankees CF. We'll see. I don't mind as long as they pony up some pitching. Rocco is signed for the next 4-5 years.

He's Yankees' caliber.

To be honest with you...I'd rather see the Red Sox play the Yankees than see them play the Devil Rays. Tampa always plays us hard!

gotribe07

Ok I agree with you that Clemens isn't worth 4.5 million A MONTH.

HOWEVER, I GREATLY disagree that no one in this world is worth greater than $1 million per year.

As far as sports goes.... Tiger Woods is worth well over $1 million. Think about it.... his endorcement with Nike (although undisclosed) is worth approximately $10 million a year and honestly I think that's a bargain. Think about all the revenue that Tiger Woods has generated for Nike in his 10 years he has been endorsed by them. In his 10 years with Nike he has accumulated about $150 million in endorcement money and I'm POSITIVE that Nike has actually made money because of this deal. Everywhere you go on the golf course these days you see people wearing Nike polos, using Nike clubs, and wearing Nike hats. And that is all because of Tiger Woods. Without him Nike would not have an identity in golf. Golf merchandise accounts for almost 25% of Nike's revenue. In 2006, Nike had 14 BILLION dollars of revenue. That means that golf merchandise accumulated about 4 BILLION dollars of revenue. So the $10 million price tag is a VERY SMALL price to pay.

I'm not saying that EVERYONE who makes over $1 million per year is worth it. I'm just saying theres a reason that some people make so much money per year. You have to remember, a persons worth is what they can do for a company/cause.

As far as Roger Clemens... TOTALLY not worth it. He'll pitch every 5th day for 4 months. The Yankees need A LOT more help than that.

gotribe07

EXACTLY!!

Building your farm system is the smartest thing a team can do.

Over the past 10 years the Yankees have continually traded away all their young talent for veteran players and look at where it has gotten them!

I believe the Indians did an excellent job of restructuring their franchise towards youth and now we're reaping the benefits. Our team is competitive (1st place in central) and we have a strong team identity.

The Devil Rays are headed in the right direction. Give them a few years and they will be in the thick of things in the VERY competitive AL East.

If I ever owned a baseball team I would follow the methods of both the Indians and Devil Rays. Those are 2 teams that are doing things the right way and will reap the benefits for years to come while other teams struggle to get back to where they were.

SpongeScott

Ok I agree with you that Clemens isn't worth 4.5 million A MONTH.

HOWEVER, I GREATLY disagree that no one in this world is worth greater than $1 million per year.

As far as sports goes.... Tiger Woods is worth well over $1 million. Think about it.... his endorcement with Nike (although undisclosed) is worth approximately $10 million a year and honestly I think that's a bargain. Think about all the revenue that Tiger Woods has generated for Nike in his 10 years he has been endorsed by them. In his 10 years with Nike he has accumulated about $150 million in endorcement money and I'm POSITIVE that Nike has actually made money because of this deal. Everywhere you go on the golf course these days you see people wearing Nike polos, using Nike clubs, and wearing Nike hats. And that is all because of Tiger Woods. Without him Nike would not have an identity in golf. Golf merchandise accounts for almost 25% of Nike's revenue. In 2006, Nike had 14 BILLION dollars of revenue. That means that golf merchandise accumulated about 4 BILLION dollars of revenue. So the $10 million price tag is a VERY SMALL price to pay.

I'm not saying that EVERYONE who makes over $1 million per year is worth it. I'm just saying theres a reason that some people make so much money per year. You have to remember, a persons worth is what they can do for a company/cause.

As far as Roger Clemens... TOTALLY not worth it. He'll pitch every 5th day for 4 months. The Yankees need A LOT more help than that.
In the face of reality, NO ONE is worth over $1 million a year to play a game, be it football, baseball, hockey, golf, etc. No one--it's a game. The people deserving of higher salaries than atheletes are school teachers who give our children an education, or daycare workers who change other children's dirty diapers, or firefighters or policemen who put their fannies on the line every day they go to work.

However, for fair market value for what these atheletes do, Tiger Woods is worth his salary because he actually earns his salary based on his performance. If he performs, he earns and endorsements will come. One of the worst things to happen in professional sports is long-term contracts. Earn your pay.

EXACTLY!!

Building your farm system is the smartest thing a team can do.

Over the past 10 years the Yankees have continually traded away all their young talent for veteran players and look at where it has gotten them!

I believe the Indians did an excellent job of restructuring their franchise towards youth and now we're reaping the benefits. Our team is competitive (1st place in central) and we have a strong team identity.

The Devil Rays are headed in the right direction. Give them a few years and they will be in the thick of things in the VERY competitive AL East.

If I ever owned a baseball team I would follow the methods of both the Indians and Devil Rays. Those are 2 teams that are doing things the right way and will reap the benefits for years to come while other teams struggle to get back to where they were.
Small to mid market teams will slowly learn that this is what they must do to compete and win. Minnesota, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, and Milwaukee are all doing it right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom