Rockwork has Started!

jt04

What a pompous jackass. If you would speak what you mean instead of dancing around the bush, then there would be no mistaking of your meanings.

Hey lighten up. I put the laughing smiley so you would know I was joking.

Is it mid-term time or something? :lol:

:wave:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Well, if it isn't the usual suspects bickering away. Have fun guys, but don't complain if I finally snap and ban the lot of you. Mother's Day is just a few weeks away, and peace and quiet on the forum would make a nice gift. :lol:

Mothers day was yesterday, and I actually remembered.

And I wont complain.

djkidkaz

Well it looks like the rockwork going up is what you see in the New Fantasyland concept art. Behind Belles cottage is some rockwork, which is where this work is being done. So not the castle walls as previously thought.

TP2000

There are still some small details to be added, but the walls have come down around DCA's version of The Little Mermaid ride, and Disneyland Cast Member Previews have begun.

California Adventure's Little Mermaid ride at night, with clamshells passing along the big window framing the load area
5745775068_e83516d4d0_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2729/5745775068_e83516d4d0_b.jpg

They are still not allowing photos or video inside the ride during Cast Member Previews, but AP Previews are next and general soft openings are rumored to start Memorial Day weekend, so it won't be long until we see a full ride-through video of this new attraction. The exteriors may be very different, but the actual ride is said to be identical for California Adventure and Magic Kingdom.

Hang in there a few more days, and everyone should get to see what the Mermaid ride coming to the Magic Kingdom Park in 2013 will be like! :wave:

SeaCastle

The Little Mermaid facade at DCA looks very classy. As cool as WDW's facade is going to be with the waterfall and tide pools and such, on its own, the Ariel's Undersea Adventure showbuilding in California is one beautiful building. I can't wait to see it for myself next year.

This is the kind of quality, class, and showmanship DCA needs. It is evident they really want to shed the cheap feel that cursed the park since it was constructed.

I just hope the park doesn't skimp out when it comes to pathways. Instead of paving it all over with swaths of concrete, they really have a great opportunity to use some great paving surfaces, like brickwork in the Paradise Gardens area.

TP2000

The Little Mermaid facade at DCA looks very classy. As cool as WDW's facade is going to be with the waterfall and tide pools and such, on its own, the Ariel's Undersea Adventure showbuilding in California is one beautiful building. I can't wait to see it for myself next year.

This is the kind of quality, class, and showmanship DCA needs. It is evident they really want to shed the cheap feel that cursed the park since it was constructed.

Ain't that the truth. The Mermaid building at DCA replaces the Golden Dreams theater building, what was essentially a blue stucco warehouse with a mural on metal poles in front of it.

Golden Dreams theater circa 2005, on the same site as the new Mermaid ride
golden_moremural2001ah.jpg

I just hope the park doesn't skimp out when it comes to pathways. Instead of paving it all over with swaths of concrete, they really have a great opportunity to use some great paving surfaces, like brickwork in the Paradise Gardens area.

Don't worry. I've walked around this building in the past week, and like the adjacent World of Color amphitheater that these pictures were taken from, the surfaces and pavements are all brand new and all use themed and high-quality materials. It's very hard to see in pictures, but the ground surfaces are done in tiles and terra-cotta type materials, replacing the cheap pressed concrete that used to cover that area from 2001 to 2009.

The central pathway past the Mermaid building looks so wide and barren in pictures because it's the DCA parade route. A parade route what will be busy once again by next summer when the Pixar Play Parade returns, and that little electrical thing that TDA let Florida borrow for a couple years gets returned. :cool:

This is good news for WDW too. Because if they are willing to go to this extent and thorough rework for DCA, the Magic Kingdom version of Mermaid will also be lavish and custom from top to bottom, inside and out.

SeaCastle

Ain't that the truth. The Mermaid building at DCA replaces the Golden Dreams theater building, what was essentially a blue stucco warehouse with a mural on metal poles in front of it.

I was thinking the other day that the DCA I saw in 2009 is going to be virtually unrecognizable to the DCA I'm going to see in 2012. It only took $1.2 billion and years of work, but the payoff is finally showing.

Don't worry. I've walked around this building in the past week, and like the adjacent World of Color amphitheater that these pictures were taken from, the surfaces and pavements are all brand new and all use themed and high-quality materials. It's very hard to see in pictures, but the ground surfaces are done in tiles and terra-cotta type materials, replacing the cheap pressed concrete that used to cover that area from 2001 to 2009.

This is very good to hear. I also just saw that Seaside Souvenirs received a new textured floor. Not too bad for a "temporary" locale. Now if only Florida's Main Street could get some brickwork...

IWant2GoNow

:eek:

I'm impressed with DCA's TLM exterior! Wow!

It probably looks a little more plain and boring during the day, but those lights do SO much for it! Well done, WDI! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom