Rockwork has Started!

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
Another site, that I believe has a somewhat adversarial relationship
with this site, has posted pics of what looks to be the start of exterior rockwork! It's on the Little Mermaid structure, the start of that computer
designed rebar structure that they spray the concrete rocks on.

I post here, because, well, this is the place that I post, and I have been looking forward to the very beginning of exterior detailing on our FLE, and here it is.

So, celebrate! The exterior theming has begun.

Go to DReport to find the link, and apologiez if I've broken some sort of unwritten "don't cross the streams" kind of law, I'm just enthusiastic to see it happening.:sohappy:

cookiee_munster

awesome! :)

id really like to know more about how the rock is created from the rebar shaping to the concrete spraying and carving. its always something that has interested me and how they do it???

anyone got any links or videos?

little mermaid is coming on nicely! :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
awesome! :)

id really like to know more about how the rock is created from the rebar shaping to the concrete spraying and carving. its always something that has interested me and how they do it???

anyone got any links or videos?

little mermaid is coming on nicely! :)

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D2248CE74018ABDF

It's about the construction of Expedition Everest. Part 2 has a lot of detail about how the rock work was done.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Another site, that I believe has a somewhat adversarial relationship
with this site, has posted pics of what looks to be the start of exterior rockwork! It's on the Little Mermaid structure, the start of that computer
designed rebar structure that they spray the concrete rocks on.

I post here, because, well, this is the place that I post, and I have been looking forward to the very beginning of exterior detailing on our FLE, and here it is.

So, celebrate! The exterior theming has begun.

Go to DReport to find the link, and apologiez if I've broken some sort of unwritten "don't cross the streams" kind of law, I'm just enthusiastic to see it happening.:sohappy:

The pictures you are referring to are actually showing rock work on the Beauty and the Beast building, not Mermaid, but any rock work is good rock work!

Dan

djkidkaz

I don't see anything showing the rock work at the site your mentioning. MouseSteps latest update is the only one with photos and the rebar in that update is near Belle's cottage, not Mermaid. Still very exciting to see! My guess is that it's for the castle wall because it's not being added to any of the current structures...??

BriEcho3194

i love these little updates! I hope in more updates we see more rockwork come up! Im very excited to see what it is to come!

djkidkaz

Jim Hill is hinting that TLM is going to open late 2011? Did the opening get pushed up? Isn't it supposed to be 2012?

I don't think 2011 is really a possibility. I mean, they have to install all the walkways, plant the trees, setup the water features and all that. I would be blown away if they could get this stuff up and running by Christmas.

Lee

Adventurer
Jim Hill is hinting that TLM is going to open late 2011? Did the opening get pushed up? Isn't it supposed to be 2012?

Link?
I would be very surprised. I've heard nothing about such a thing...
It was scheduled to open late summer/early fall next year....

RSoxNo1

Yeah where are you seeing Jim Hill mention a 2011 opening for Little Mermaid? Are you sure he's not talking about DCA's version?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't see anything showing the rock work at the site your mentioning. MouseSteps latest update is the only one with photos and the rebar in that update is near Belle's cottage, not Mermaid. Still very exciting to see! My guess is that it's for the castle wall because it's not being added to any of the current structures...??

As the OP said this message board won't let you post a link to the site where the pictures are. If you Google for the phrase ""Another look at the rockwork" you should find it.

If you look at the latest Scott Keating pictures you can see a metal framework being build in the BaTB area. It runs along the edge of the driveway to the utilidor entrance connecting the new BaTB structure to Pinoccchio's Village Haus. This appears to be where the rock work is being built.

Dan

jt04

Link?
I would be very surprised. I've heard nothing about such a thing...
It was scheduled to open late next summer....

Excuse me :wave:

I theorized after the Legoland announcement that Disney would find it in their interest to open this and beast as soon as possible. Remember when I claimed Legoland was a bigger threat to the MK receipts than Potter and got flamed for it?

On top of that, I also predicted even before Legoland (when the mermaid clone was announced) that the MK version would dovetail with the construction of the DCA version. In other words as a phase completed at DCA that same phase would start at the MK for logistical/financial reasons. The Mk version started roughly 6 months after the DCA version. If I am right then the MK version will open about (barring unforseen circumstances) 6 months after the DCA opening. So yeah, late 2011. Possibly even October 1st. The MK's 40th and the day Legoland opens.

PS- keep in mind Disney probably knew about Legoland long before it was announced publicly. Just saying.

And no, I won't find it for anyone. There are some here who evidently catalog everything I write so I am sure they have my prediction handy. Funny how they never congradulate me on what I get right.:lol: They only remind me of what I get wrong. Odd :shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

I theorized after the Legoland announcement that Disney would find it in their interest to open this and beast as soon as possible. Remember when I claimed Legoland was a bigger threat to the MK receipts than Potter and got flamed for it?

On top of that, I also predicted even before Legoland (when the mermaid clone was announced) that the MK version would dovetail with the construction of the DCA version. In other words as a phase completed at DCA that same phase would start at the MK for logistical/financial reasons. The Mk version started roughly 6 months after the DCA version. If I am right then the MK version will open about (barring unforseen circumstances) 6 months after the DCA opening. So yeah, late 2011. Possibly even October 1st. The MK's 40th and the day Legoland opens.

PS- keep in mind Disney probably knew about Legoland long before it was announced publicly. Just saying.

And no, I won't find it for anyone. There are some here who evidently catalog everything I write so I am sure they have my prediction handy. Funny how they never congradulate me on what I get right.:lol: They only remind me of what I get wrong. Odd :shrug:

Just curious....what HAVE you gotten right?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

You want accolades, prove that you're right. Find the link from Jim Hill, or prove that the MK version is opening at the end of the year. Until then....

jt04

Just curious....what HAVE you gotten right?

PI was going away even before all the campaigns were going on to save it.
I was talking about an entirely reimagined PI long before the "new and bold" announcement.

The complete makeover of the MK when all the doom and gloomers were lamenting the run down condition. Remember the pendulum and talk of business models/cycles and the way WDW goes through this same cycle consistently?

The prediction just above in this thread which is starting to look spot on.

The demise of the TL skyway station long before it was announced.

Talked of a new film for Soarin long before it became a certified rumor on these boards.

Talked of the overwhelming success the BLT would be while the D&G crowd was predicting it to be a failure.

That is just stream of conciousness as I don't dwell on it but I am sure I will remember more.

And I still think a new land for DAK could be the Potter Swatter. Waiting for that one.........still. :snore:

jt04

You want accolades, prove that you're right. Find the link from Jim Hill, or prove that the MK version is opening at the end of the year. Until then....

No, no accolades. Just honesty instead of lies from my critics. I have proven I will admit when I get it wrong (the FLE is not finished yet :lol:) but I'd rather people say nothing than lie about what I write.

That is not asking much.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
PI was going away even before all the campaigns were going on to save it.
I was talking about an entirely reimagined PI long before the "new and bold" announcement.

The complete makeover of the MK when all the doom and gloomers were lamenting the run down condition. Remember the pendulum and talk of business models/cycles and the way WDW goes through this same cycle consistently?

The prediction just above in this thread which is starting to look spot on.

The demise of the TL skyway station long before it was announced.

Talked of a new film for Soarin long before it became a certified rumor on these boards.

Talked of the overwhelming success the BLT would be while the D&G crowd was predicting it to be a failure.

That is just stream of conciousness as I don't dwell on it but I am sure I will remember more.

And I still think a new land for DAK could be the Potter Swatter. Waiting for that one.........still. :snore:

You know what they say about a room full of monkeys, typewriters and enough time. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom