Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Refurb in October?

FullSailDan

The availability of the resources, specifically the parts needed. Isn't there like a warehouse or something they can just grab them from? I'm being serious, no snark (for once ;)).
Many parts are kept on hand, sometimes things that need refurb aren't really swappable parts but pieces of track. Even if you do have a part on hand, you still need to find the time in the maintenance crew schedule for it.

DisneyFans4Life

How about at the very least- 71 days? Thats more than the 60+10 they allow you to book at. If you're that person who wakes up at 7 (or whatever time it is) to be able to book that hard to get FP in advance- and then it gets cancelled 14 days later (like this one did)- and then you're left with TSMM at 4pm even though you planned on leaving the park at 2pm. And that's if you're lucky enough to actually know that you don't have a Tier 1 FP scheduled anymore. God forbid you wait to check your MDE app the week before you go.

So yeah- I can see the frustration. Complaints can be valid. If you are to maximize your time at Post FP+ Disney, for the typical "once in a lifer", you are forced to plan 180+10 out for Restaurants, and then 60+10 out for Attractions. It's not unreasonable to ask that Disney offers the same courtesy.
Had they mentioned this refurb 2 weeks ago- OP wouldn't have had an issue with it most likely.
I'm not saying there shouldn't be frustrations, but it shouldn't ruin a vacation...especially with how many other attractions WDW has to offer. At least the OP has time to book other FPs or arrangements. I'd rather know 2 months in advance versus not knowing at all.

wannabeBelle

I feel for the OP honestly. I love RnRC as well and yes the upkeep of rides and attractions must be done and sometimes cant be scheduled, that is all agreed but I don't think the disappointment would have been as bad, if other attractions in the park had been open and running. I am excited for many of the projects that have been either announced or speculated on for this park, but the timing is just awful. I don't think it would have been as bad is TSL was already open. Granted not the same type of attraction as RnRC but other attractions to increase the time spent at HS for sure. Marie

HRHPrincessAriel

How about at the very least- 71 days? Thats more than the 60+10 they allow you to book at. If you're that person who wakes up at 7 (or whatever time it is) to be able to book that hard to get FP in advance- and then it gets cancelled 14 days later (like this one did)- and then you're left with TSMM at 4pm even though you planned on leaving the park at 2pm. And that's if you're lucky enough to actually know that you don't have a Tier 1 FP scheduled anymore. God forbid you wait to check your MDE app the week before you go.

So yeah- I can see the frustration. Complaints can be valid. If you are to maximize your time at Post FP+ Disney, for the typical "once in a lifer", you are forced to plan 180+10 out for Restaurants, and then 60+10 out for Attractions. It's not unreasonable to ask that Disney offers the same courtesy.
Had they mentioned this refurb 2 weeks ago- OP wouldn't have had an issue with it most likely.
60+10? Did something change?

peter11435

The availability of the resources, specifically the parts needed. Isn't there like a warehouse or something they can just grab them from? I'm being serious, no snark (for once ;)).

In some cases yes parts can be available in a warehouse. But not always for a variety of reasons. One being if a part is kept in a warehouse for a year before being installed it has already aged before ever being utilized. And usually it's not the materials that hold things up but the contractors and vendors. It is highly likely that vekoma may be needed for this refurb so the scheduling must be based on their availability as well.

MrPromey

In your opinion, how many months in advance is enough notice?

In my opinion, probably about 70 days. People staying on property are able to book their fastpass' 60 days from their first day of visit and I imagine the number of guests staying on property for more than 10 days is pretty small. From a customer service standpoint, this would be Disney playing by the same rules they set for their paying guests. I think it would make sense to a reasonable person.

FullSailDan

No- it's been like that. Using this as an example- you could have been arriving on October 20th and had an Oct 27th DHS day planned. So on August 21st, you could book fastpasses for October 20th-30th.

So again, I understand the OPs frustrations- and moreso the person who doesn't follow these forums and booked their RNRC fastpass on August 21st and went about their day not knowing that when they arrive, they wont have a Tier 1 FP- and availability will be nill at that park.

Yet people still defend Disney in this situation. :rolleyes:

71 days needs to be the minimum as a courtesy to their 60+10 "requirement".

In theory, I completely agree with you. They should try to do whatever they can to help people plan. Usually we do have that much notice if not more for lengthy scheduled refurbs. Sometimes, it just isn't possible to do so. Sometimes they notice a part is wearing, sometimes a vendor gives them dates last minute. I can honestly say, Disney typically does reach out through email to people who have booked fastpasses and availability changes. If it was really a problem, this is a time when a visit to guest relations really is warranted, and they WILL take care of them.

raven

Well, now we know it takes an entire week to add a finger. But WDI I'm sure has done extensive R&D on that finger and flew to LA to photograph it from hundreds of angles, take laser measurements and get the exact shade of black nail polish for it. Then it still has to go through testing and refining as well. ;)

rael ramone

The problem with taking things down in the swamps is the general lack of attractions in the non-MK parks (a problem they don't have on the other coast, and they take advantage of not having that problem by giving attractions more regular maintenance).

Many would say Hollywood Studios doesn't have enough to do even if everything is up and running. With attractions down it's a bigger problem. Last years Unofficial Guide said the studios was not only not worth the price of a single day admission, it wasn't worth it for a prorated price on a short multiday ticket - and that was with all attractions not affected by the new stuff open. Would a person who didn't do sit down restaurants feel a day that just had TSMM, GMR, TOT, Star Tours, Indy stunt show and DHS quick service is worth using a day off a pass?

That's not the guests fault, that's the fault of $DIS. There should be plenty of things for people to do inside each gate to give the guest at least a perception of value, and have enough so they can give attractions more regular maintenance as well as the ability to go 101 to fix animatronic issues during the day.

MrPromey

No- it's been like that. Using this as an example- you could have been arriving on October 20th and had an Oct 27th DHS day planned. So on August 21st, you could book fastpasses for October 20th-30th.

So again, I understand the OPs frustrations- and moreso the person who doesn't follow these forums and booked their RNRC fastpass on August 21st and went about their day not knowing that when they arrive, they wont have a Tier 1 FP- and availability will be nill at that park.

Yet people still defend Disney in this situation. :rolleyes:

71 days needs to be the minimum as a courtesy to their 60+10 "requirement".

Otherwise, they need to call it an emergency* or unscheduled close or something else. As it stands now, there are people giving excuses/reasons they are imagining for what's going on and talking about ordering parts and stuff for a refurbishment that entails nothing any of us know about.

This kind of thing obviously isn't normal but Disney acting like it's normal is the problem. Defenders will talk about how Disney can't win for loosing but the simple fact of the matter is that when you charge what they do and you push people to schedule like they do, you give customers a sense of entitlement to what they've been "promised". When you overpay for a room and overpay for admission to a park that is a mess and they pull one of the headliner attractions out from under you (in a park that is short on attractions in general) after you planned your expensive vacation way in advance just like they want you to do so they can more accurately cut down on staffing levels and can manipulate pricing to boost attendance on days that might actually not be congested, this is the flip side of that.

*Obviously, Disney will never use the word "emergency" but something to indicate it's important, and sort of sudden would fit. People with a fastpass already booked need to be notified at the earliest possible date and offered something to compensate such as the good-almost-anywhere fastpass they give when fastpass shows get rained out.

Last edited:

xstech25

“Disney doesn’t rehab the rides enough. They keep cutting costs, raising prices, and not caring about guest experience!!!”
“A ride is going down for rehab?? Disney keeps cutting costs, raising prices, and not caring about guest experience!!!"
Sincerely, the internet.

Patcheslee

Reading through all this, there's one thing that I haven't seen mentioned: does Disney not allow an anytime FP in the same tier group for people who had already booked their passes? It wouldn't eliminate frustration completly from losing a sometimes hard to get ride, and be stuck with less than ideal alternate times, but it would be a small compensation for notices that happen past the 60 day mark. Yes it would suck to find out a week before a trip that maintenence needs done and be left with late day choices, it happens though. Disney says sorry we gave you short notice, here's a FP to use that day anytime would make up for it. Just a thought.

PuertoRekinSam

I am pretty sure when parts replacements are required for safety reasons it's a given range. Think about oil in your car...

You could replace the oil at 2,000 miles; but that would not be very cost effective. 3,000 is when it begins to makes sense... But really for 4,500-6,000 is fine under normal circumstances. But if you are pushing a conventional oil to 7,000-9,000 miles you are asking for the oil to breakdown and cause trouble.

I am sure Disney has a similar time line for repairs. They should do it between dates X and Y. Looking at things like occupancy, school holidays, current Fastpass bookings etc... They can determine when to bring it down with the least amount of impact. End of October, 2 months out. Not too much impact... End of December 4 months out... A lot more impact even if more time was given.

Last edited:

SaraC

Here's my issue with this: Disney pretty much expects you to plan your vacation 180 days out. If you don't, you miss out on reservations for restaurants you may want to go to, special deals, etc. So, when they announce a major refurb like this less than 60 days before it's going to happen, that basically screws over people who have already made plans. I was planning to go to DHS on October 27th, and I can't change my schedule around now. If I had known this 4 months ago it would have been nice. I'm paying a ton for this vacation for my family, so sue me if I expect Disney to have their act together and have a routine maintenance schedule for large attractions already established.

NowInc

Man I'd hate to see the tantrums thrown by some of the users here when a ride goes down unexpectedly when they're at the parks.

I understand the frustration, I myself have more than a few grievances with the parks (I just don't go out of my way to post them because really..no one cares), but it isn't the thing that will ruin a vacation. Yeah it will be upsetting, but I can say with confidence that even with the lack of this attraction, you will somehow find joy in your visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom