Rock and Roller Coaster-Who Should People Rock To?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Same discussion happening over hee-yah.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=361850&page=11

OR if they want to make it really funny, use the guys from Spinal Tap.quote]
Those Spinal Tap guys aren't exactly young themselves....When was Lavern and Shirley on TV?

I do like your idea of injecting more of a story to the ride. Maybe they could even set up the unloading area to be a little interesting than what you get now....a giftshop. (And I am not saying have noo gift shop, but space mountains undocking station and walk out of the ride is soooo much cooler.

hrcollectibles

My argument was to not have a high-profile act at all. Set up a comic preshow about either a struggling band who just got "the call" for a big break kind of gig, IF they can get to the gig on time, which gives the ride a sense of comic urgency. OR if they want to make it really funny, use the guys from Spinal Tap. Maybe they think they're being given an award, so they're rushing across town to make it to the award ceremony, only to find out their agent got them jobs in the house band (or as seat fillers). The preshow could have them being interviewed by Martin diBergi about the album they're in the process of recording when they get the call, and we're ostensibly in diBergi's car trying to catch up to the band, who warn us of oncoming traffic or obstacles along the way.

Either way, WDW doesn't run the risk of picking either an act who is a few months away from retirement or death, OR a flash in the pan act that might not even be popular anymore by the time the ride re-opens. It's set up almost like a chase scene in a movie (since it is Disney's Hollywood Studios after all), and injects some much-needed humor in the preshow of a ride that takes itself almost comically serious, too-cool-for Disney, yet still absolutely Disney. It's currently about as annoying as when they draw Mickey as a typical kid of whatever decade it currently is, like when drawings from Mickey in the 80s would have him wearing pastels, sporting sunglasses and a Walkman. yeesh.

I love the Spinal tap Idea... They could even add a new on the guitar that goes to eleven.

sarabi

You know, I was thinking the Beatles too... but changed my mind. I'm a hug Beatles fan but the stuff that rocks is even a bit tame by today's standards and then the stuff that REALLY rocks is so laced with drug and ______ innuendos that I can't see Disney getting behind that. Which is sad, but alas, true.

I could see U2. I would love to see the Police, but doubt it would happen. Sting, though I love him dearly, is a bit too pompous for theme parks.

scarpiapiano

WDW doesn't run the risk of picking a flash in the pan act that might not even be popular anymore by the time the ride re-opens.

I think that you always run that risk with any pop star or group. Not that Michael Jackson was a "flash in the pan" but I don't see anybody calling for a revival of Captain EO. I think you're safer sticking with classic rock - my vote is for the Beatles. But then you lose the storyline of being late for a gig.

Of coarse there's the sick side of me that likes the Lawrence Welk idea. Another sick idea - think of the dumbest song to be cruising around to. My suggestions - Kung Fu Fighting, Muskrat Love, Music Box Dancer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom