Robert Iger to be named Eisners replacement to CEO position today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Eggz

speck76 said:
For one, you point out that he does not involve himeself in the creative areas of WDI. You also point out that he did not want to air "Lost".......

Isn't this a good thing?

He did not want to air "Lost", but, it got through anyway, which means that he is listening to those who work around and for him.

For him not involving himself in the creative areas of WDI....why should he be involved. Hasn't a big complaint about Eisner the last few years is that he is too involved, but does not "get it". If Iger does not "get it" in relation to WDI, isn't it good that he lets the creative people create, and does not get involved?

You say he has no love for animation, all due to the fact that he was at the helm when the studios in Florida and Paris were closed?....How do these relate? I think consolidating operations in one studio is a great idea......also, the talent at WDFA was "watered-down" with all of these studios......if WDFA wants the best and brightest animators, they need a small, select group, not a huge workforce.

Also, he was ONLY president, and reported to Eisner.....Eisner, and man that could break his career in a second......and last I looked, there are not a ton of open positions in the country for President of a large company. If he could not stand up to Eisner, I can understand that.......but that does not mean that he has no backbone.....

Regarding "Lost": I don't think it is valid to say, "he is listening to those who work around and for him." because the executive who bought LOST, Lloyd Braun, was fired before the show ever aired. I don't think that shows support.

Regarding WDI: Eisner is critisized for micromanaging, it's true, but Iger doesn't even know what is going on. There needs to be a happy medium between these two extremes.

Regarding Animation: The closure of animation was only after a raging internal debate. Iger took no side in the arguement. I can't see someone who has any love for animation side-stepping this debate. And why do you assume that the consolidation kept the "best and brightest"? Especially since Disney lost Eric Goldberg (Directing Animator of the Genie) and Kirk Wise (co-director of Beauty and the Beast). I think you made an incorrect assumption there.

Lastly, you say he was "only President." I'm sorry but the man is paid millions of dollars to run the company on behalf of the stockholders. He was also Chief Opperating Officer. He is responsible for how the company was run, just as much as Eisner. If he can not stand up to Eisner on matters of integrity, he is either a bigger wimp then I imagine, or Eisner is even worse than we all thought. If the latter is true, then it is even more important Disney make a clean break from Eisner.

CTXRover

Mr. Eggz said:
Regarding "Lost": I don't think it is valid to say, "he is listening to those who work around and for him." because the executive who bought LOST, Lloyd Braun, was fired before the show ever aired. I don't think that shows support.

While true that Braun picked up Lost, the man who replaced him, Steve Mcpherson, was tapped for the position while heading Buena Vista TV where he oversaw the development of the hits Lost and Desperate Housewives before they were even picked up by the network (from what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong). Stands to reason the man now in charge of ABC would have picked up Lost as well. It was also Mcpherson, along with Anne Sweeney, who put Lost and DH into excellent time slots and who after many failed shows under Braun finally took the initiative to create advertising campaigns around a few shows that they felt strongly about. Had Lost or DH not got the outside advertising they did over the summer, especially since nobody was watching ABC over the summer, they would not be the hits they are today and ABC would not be seeing itself in its best position in years. Not all the credit goes to the new guy and gal at ABC for its recent upturn in ratings, but a lot of it does.

I still think questioning the long-term prospects of Lost was a good thing on Iger's part. A lot of fans, including myself, wonder how many seasons they can go on with the show at its current pacing, even though its probably my favorite show on TV right now.

askmike1

CTXRover said:
A lot of fans, including myself, wonder how many seasons they can go on with the show at its current pacing, even though its probably my favorite show on TV right now.
Knowing JJ Abrams, this show can go on for a long time (and that is a good thing). After all, if they can make 3 seasons of Gilligans Island, they can certainly make a lot more out of Lost.

McArcDes

Corrus said:
McArcDes said:
There ARE WDI Creative people, and Creative Dept. are ALL imagineers... And certainly NOT Buttkissers... If you leave the Imagineers be, they develop great things...

Greetz! :D

Not only have I read the editorial on the downfall of WDI by "Tom Morrow" on the SaveDisney web site but I have actually worked in the WDI office at Epcot. The corporate culture the the artical about WDI on SaveDisney is very acurate. I have seen it with my own eyes, and heard it from others at WDI. For example, when I was at WDW between this past Christmas and New Years I took the time to have lunch with a friend that happens to be a manager at WDI. He told me how since I had been there nothing had changed and how the guy who had been both our boss when I was there had tried to throw him under the bus numerous times and it was because he was hanging on to his job by a thread and did it to make him self look better. It was that way when I was there and it is still that way now. The corporate culture at WDI has been sliding to the side of the bean counters for a long time. The freedom to be creative is severly restricted when no one wants to spend any money to create something completly new. Look at SGE. That is nothing more than replacing the alien anamatronic with one of stitch and adding robotic arms for the laser cannons. I have heard so much disappointment over this attraction that it is not funny.

I wanted nothing more than to be able to have my career there. It was my dream. I got an internship and I thought that it would be a great leap forward in achieving that dream. Some people dont ever get that far. I did, I was lucky. I did my best while I was there and on my exit review sheet there was a question for my boss asking if he would hire the intern (me) if he had a position available. He said that he would. I still have that paper. The thing is, positions never become available. They fill them from with in or use outside consultants to fill them. They pay outragious amounts of money per hour for these consultants on the premis that they can get rid of them at any time. The people with power hold on to that power with a death grip, there is no loyalty you are only as good as your next job, nothing you have done in the past counts no matter how long you have been there.

My post was meant to be a bit sarcastic, I know there are still some very creative people at WDI, but unless you want to pucker up and go with the group you can never get anywhere. It is very sad to say that but I know it is fact not fantasy, though I wish it were.

As for what the entire WDC needs as a CEO? Walt once described his job as being a bee that flew from one flower to the next spreading pollen. The pollen being the creative ideas and ideals that were present at the time. He did not care so much about how much things costed, he cared most was that he produced that best family entertainment around. He felt that if they did then the money would follow. Quality first, money second. The current thinking at Disney is: Money first, Quality second. Also, as it has been pointed out, Walt did not run the company by him self. Roy mainly delt with the business end of the company and Walt the creative. That is what the WDC needs now.

What concerns me about Iger is that he never seems to get involved in anything. If he is going to be sucessful in bringing the company around then he is going to have to take a stand on things! He cant just sit by and hope it all works out. He cant just sit by and let his "decentralized" management take the company where ever they want then we would have a company that had no direction. He has to have some say in what is going on. He should not micro manage the company becasue that causes gridlock. The best model he could base his administration on would be a parent. He needs to be there to keep a direction and guide the different parts of the company to where they need to go. He needs to be there to settle, negotiate, rein in, encourage, nurture and prepare the company as a whole. That is his responsibility. He needs to help set the vision for the company as a whole and for all the individual parts. If he just stands by and does none of those things, we are going to be looking at our worst nighmare in a few years. Mark my words, if the company weakens to much we will be looking at a buy out and that could lead to the company being dismantled rather than kept as a whole. That would be tragic.

Mr. Eggz

Well said, McArcDes. I agree with every word. I've heard very similar statements from others at WDI. Furthermore, you have outlined what Iger needs to do perfectly. I share your concern, that he does not seem to be able to take a stand. I hope for the sake of The Walt Disney Company that we are both wrong. :(

Woody13

McArcDes said:
Mark my words, if the company weakens to much we will be looking at a buy out and that could lead to the company being dismantled rather than kept as a whole. That would be tragic.

Well, if that happens, you can lay the blame on Roy Disney's doorstep!

askmike1

Woody13 said:
Well said. If Iger is at all like Eisner though, that will never happen. Now if Roy were in charge, the company would probably have been taken over last year.

-Michael

McArcDes

Woody13 said:

It is not about laying blame now it is about the future direction of the WDC. I am no big fan of Roy Jr. but he brought about a change in management. For good or bad we must wait and see.

cloudboy

Don't be so quick to think any takeover would dismantle the company. In effect that is what happened the first time when Eisner was brought in.

A GOOD company would recognize that there are certain parts of the company - the parks, the animation, and the Disney movies, simply need each other to survive. In fact I think it would be better if they got rid of all the other stuff and focused instead on being really good at what they do, instead of being so-so at everything.

A good takeover might get rid of all the problems of upper management and let them focus on putting back in a team that will grow the company and start doing good imaginative work again.

askmike1

cloudboy said:
A good takeover might get rid of all the problems of upper management and let them focus on putting back in a team that will grow the company and start doing good imaginative work again.
Or the company that would take them over might just sell all the different divisions to different companies. I don't know about you, but that's a chance I'm not willing to take.

-Michael

Woody13

askmike1 said:
Or the company that would take them over might just sell all the different divisions to different companies. I don't know about you, but that's a chance I'm not willing to take.

-Michael

Roy E. Disney is a very rich man! For 2005, he is listed as the 584th richest person is the entire world and he's number 278 in the USA! Do you know how he made his money? Sure, he inherited a small fortune with the Disney Company, but he has not made a lot of money from that part of his fortune (it accounts for less than 1% of his total worth). He has made his money with his good buddy Stan Gold and Shamrock Holdings. They specialize as corporate raiders! In the past they've attempted hostile takeovers of Polaroid, Faberge and Helene Curtis to name but a few.

Their strategy is simple. They look for an underperforming company and they then set their vast public relations machine to work. They drive the stock price down and then jump in a buy the whole mess at a premium price. Sometimes they solicit outside investors to buy the company (as they did with the Bass brothers when Disney was bought out back in 1984). They then split up, and squeeze every penny they can out of their acquisition before they sell it off to the highest bidder!

While it will never be proven, the Comcast bid for Disney had Roy and Stan's fingerprints all over it! These guys are tricky. Make no mistake, had Comcast pulled off that hostile takeover, Roy and Stan would have been in the driver's seat busting up the Disney Company and selling each portion off to the highest bidder. That's what they do!

http://www.forbes.com/static/bill2005/LIRRJ9O.html?passListId=10&passYear=2005&passListType=Person&uniqueId=RJ9O&datatype=Person

P.S. Michael Eisner doesn't even make the list of richest people!

askmike1

Woody13 said:
Roy E. Disney is a very rich man! For 2005, he is listed as the 584th richest person is the entire world and he's number 278 in the USA!
Exactly. People constantly bag on Michael Eisner for making so much money (which compared to other CEOs is not a lot), and say he should use some of his money for the company. Roy Disney is worth 1.1 BILLION (yes I said billion) dollars. Has he gave any generous grants to the company he says he 'loves'? Not one member on the board on on Forbes' list. In 2003 Michael Eisner was worth about 1/2 Roy was at about $600 million.

-Michael

Tim G

speck76 said:
Corrus said:
I agree....which is why I think it is great hat Iger does not get involved with the creative parts of the company.

One thing from an article that I posted, and it seemed to be overlooked, was that Iger wants to decentralize decision making in the company. THIS IS A GOOD THING! This means that the ABC division will make the ABC decisions (not Iger), the parks division will make the park decisions (not Iger), the studios will make the studio decisions (not Iger).

What could DL be like it Matt O. was the chief decision maker, and did not have to beg the CEO for something to be done at the park.

THIS IS A GOOD THING!
I second that... absolutely...

speck76

A little bump

Iger has had a few months now making major decisions with WDC

If you posted here when Iger was named CEO, re-read your post, and explain if you still few the same way, or if your view has changed, and why/why not.

askmike1

speck76 said:
A little bump

Iger has had a few months now making major decisions with WDC

If you posted here when Iger was named CEO, re-read your post, and explain if you still few the same way, or if your view has changed, and why/why not.
So far, I think he's doing a good job. He has mended relations with Diane Disney, shut down SaveDisney, shut up Roy, shut down Strategic Planning, and has done some other things.

However, I don't think this is an example of his true abilities though. Currently, he is sharing the CEO role with Michael Eisner. It is hard to tell what he has done and what Eisner has done.

-Michael

MickeyJedi

2005: Bob Iger becomes CEO, everything looks hopeful

2023: Company in flames, 100th anniversary is a bust, Marvel and Lucasfilm might have been good investments in the long form (Marvel did actually do good numbers for disney though), Disney's streaming service isn't working for customers, and Walt Disney World almost lost the battle with the state of Florida. Bob has to come back to fix everything.

By the way, This year was not his fault, Chapek kindly screwed this before Iger came back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom