Robert Iger to be named Eisners replacement to CEO position today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Original Poster
NEWS: MSNBC is reporting this morning that the Disney company will hold a press conference today to officially name Robert Iger as the replacement to Michael Eisner for CEO of the company at the end of Eisners term.

Not sure exactly why they would do this on a Sunday...Report came from MSNBC cable - havent been able to find a link to the story on their website yet.

tigsmom

Just ran around the net and the only story I could find was that Meg Whitman's withdrawl of her name from contention made Iger the odds on favorite to be named CEO.

Shaman

tigsmom said:
Just ran around the net and the only story I could find was that Meg Whitman's withdrawl of her name from contention made Iger the odds on favorite to be named CEO.

I haven't found anything either....

Link?

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Original Poster
tigsmom said:

MSNBC may have very well run with that info - but they said on air maybe 15 minutes ago that there would be a press conference to announce Iger. Just gonna have to wait and see....although at this point if MSNBC screwed this up I guess Im gonna be burned also....:mad:

Shaman

Horizons78 said:
MSNBC may have very well run with that info - but they said on air maybe 15 minutes ago that there would be a press conference to announce Iger. Just gonna have to wait and see....although at this point if MSNBC screwed this up I guess Im gonna be burned also....:mad:

No...you're just posting something you heard...why would you burn in they were wrong?

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Original Poster
objr said:
No...you're just posting something you heard...why would you burn in they were wrong?

Eh...I would just feel stupid is all. Im not a huge poster but I know what I saw and heard and figured I would finally earn my keep around here....lol. I just hope they got their facts straight.

Oh the suspense....and I have to leave......arghhhh......

Shaman

Orlando Sentinel...

Contender pulls out of Disney race
The move by the eBay executive boosts the candidacy of Robert Iger to succeed Michael Eisner.

By Richard Verrier | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted March 13, 2005

Walt Disney Co. directors were scrambling late Saturday after one of the top outside contenders to succeed Chief Executive Michael Eisner abruptly withdrew her name from consideration, in part out of frustration when board members failed to give her an answer by a promised deadline.

The move by Meg Whitman, chief executive of eBay Inc., boosts the candidacy of Eisner's second-in-command, President Robert Iger, who with Whitman's departure now appears to be the odds-on favorite.

Board members were meeting via conference call Saturday evening to discuss the state of the job search and were expected to at least discuss whether to offer Iger the job.

It was unclear, however, whether directors were ready to formally anoint him or whether they want to seek out any more potential outside contenders.

Disney officials would not comment.

Iger and Whitman were interviewed by the board Monday, both in the presence of Eisner, sources familiar with the matter said. Whitman was told that she and Iger were the only candidates under consideration, the sources said.

The development shows that Disney may be closer than thought to naming Eisner's successor. Disney's board has said it will name a new CEO by June but has drawn criticism for dragging out the process.

Sources said Whitman had asked for a quick decision, saying she likes her job at eBay and didn't want to be distracted as word leaked out.

But she called the board member -- thought to be Chairman George Mitchell -- late Friday night to pull the plug after directors failed to give her the promised answer.

EBay spokesman Henry Gomez confirmed Whitman's decision, as well as her meeting with the Disney board.

"She simply looked at the opportunity and decided she really wanted to stay at eBay," Gomez said.

Whitman worked at Disney from 1989 until 1992, serving as senior vice president of marketing for the Disney Consumer Products division before leaving for Stride Rite Corp. She became eBay's CEO in March 1998.

Whitman's meeting with Disney directors shows her interest in succeeding Eisner was much stronger than previously thought. Whitman was known to have been on the short list of candidates but repeatedly downplayed her interest, saying she was happy at eBay.

The board had aggressively courted Whitman, however, impressed with her efforts in turning eBay into an Internet powerhouse.

Directors have struggled to entice other top candidates to show interest, sources say. News Corp. President Peter Chernin has declined to be interviewed in part because of concerns that Eisner would be present, sources close to Chernin say. Chernin also wanted assurances, sources said, that Eisner would step down immediately after the new CEO was installed.

Eisner's contract expires in September 2006. The timing of Eisner's departure was another issue directors were expected to discuss Saturday.

Eisner has taken a keen interest in whom his successor will be. He is strongly backing Iger's candidacy, which also has been helped by Disney's improved earnings performance during the past year and a ratings turnaround at the ABC network that Iger oversees.

Last week dissident shareholders Roy E. Disney and Stanley P. Gold said the board is allowing Eisner to make a "mockery" of the search by allowing him to sit in on interviews with the candidates. The company dismissed the allegations as inaccurate.

ImaginEAR

imagineer boy said:
Gaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick:
He would be worse than Eisner! :mad: :fork:

Well put.

In our frustration, let us all smack our heads on a brick wall, shall we? :brick:

Number_6

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We must fight this!!!!

wicked02.gif

wannab@dis

Not to be an "I told you so" person, but this seemed to be the way things have been going from the very beginning. It doesn't matter what the board says, they have not been doing a true search... just an attempt to save face. The article about Whitman dropping out because the board wouldn't give her an answer by a deadline just goes to show the state of the Disney board members. I'm not sure that Whitman would be a good choice for an entertainment company, but she has proven she can build and run a sucessful business.

The board members have been coerced by Eisner for years and now it appears that Iger will be following in his footsteps. I honestly believe the shareholders should band together for a class-action lawsuit. It's time to clean house. The board should ALL be replaced with new members. A REAL search for CEO should then be tackled with the INTENT to find a replacement for Eisner, and not to for just show.

Dayma

Not sure I like this move. I would think it would be good to pull in someone from the outside to make the changes that incumbents already had a chance to do.

wannab@dis

Pluto Parking said:
Let's calm down and give him a chance.

A CEO doesn't get a "chance"... they get a multi-year contract. Case in point -- Eisner. It's not that easy to remove a sitting CEO unless there is a legal reason. The contracts are pretty tight and can include a LOT of severance money. The "give him a chance" routine is not a "norm" in the business world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom