Robert Iger to be named Eisners replacement to CEO position today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherrynegra

Oh, please. Eisner will play Gepetto to Iger's Pinocchio pulling his strings. Or Iger and Eisner will have a great ventroliquist routine. Eisner's hand up Iger's behind moving his mouth and dictating his movements. :rolleyes:

CTXRover

imagineer boy said:
Obviously. But really, the reason why we don't want him is because he's the reason why ABC is doing so horribly now. Someone else created "Desperate House Wives" and other shows that became a success. Iger fired her, and he got all the credit for these popular shows.

One could also say Iger finally fired Susan Lyne after several years of failed attempts as well. One could also say Iger made the right decision in promoting Steve McPherson to head ABC, which under his guidance has made an incredible resurgance this past year. Mcpherson, afterall, was the head of Buena Vista TV/Touchstone TV who had developed the shows Desperate Housewives and Lost, and to my understanding, was a big pusher of these shows before they were finally picked up by ABC. Had he been the head of ABC a little earlier, I imagine he would have picked them up as well. It was also under Mcpherson that focus was put on Lost and DH before the season started and an unprecedented advertising campaign was undertaken that lead to people even tuning into the premieres of Lost and Desperate Housewives. Without that level of advertising using anything and everything besides just commercials on their own network (which Susan Lyne never accomplished), these shows would have never become the hits they are. So Mcpherson gets a lot of credit for ABC's gains this year. And so one could say Iger gets some credit as well as he was responsible for promoting him there.

I REALLY wanted someone from outside the company to be the new CEO. More or less for a fresh approach and to perhaps allow some healing with other big Hollywood names (particularly Pixar). But I also always feared about some other media mogul with little experience with the Disney company taking over and turning the company into being more profit-driven than it already is. IF this is the final decision the board makes, I'm NOT happy. But I'm not going to join a revolt or anything that could lead to the perception of destabilization of the CEO, the new CEO or the company. The last time that was done nearly lead to Disney being part of Comcast (which thankfully Eisner wouldn't even give a second thought to). If Iger is chosen, I will give him a chance. He's been with the company for a long time and hopefully has gained a love for the company name and brand that an outsider might not have. Unlike Eisner, if he's unsuccessful, he won't have the backing to prevent him from being fired after a few years. Who knows, maybe he really IS the best (available) choice out there (although I have my doubts).

askmike1

CTXRover said:
The last time that was done nearly lead to Disney being part of Comcast (which thankfully Eisner wouldn't even give a second thought to).
Exactly. What if they picked an outside person who didn't have loyalty to disney? Would you really want Disney being taken over/merged with another company, because I don't. We know that Iger has loyalty to the company and can only hope that he's as firm as Eisner about no mergers/takeovers.

-Michael

Pluto Parking

cherrynegra said:
Oh, please. Eisner will play Gepetto to Iger's Pinocchio pulling his strings. Or Iger and Eisner will have a great ventroliquist routine. Eisner's hand up Iger's behind moving his mouth and dictating his movements. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of Star Wars fans who complain at anything new regarding their beloved movie franchise. Why don't some of you just jump off the Disney bandwagon? Move on to Warner Brothers. You could visit the Six Flags parks. Thoes parks woud give you plenty to complain about! Give the new CEO a chance to prove himself.

There was only one Walt Disney.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Original Poster
Hmmm.....well Im back. I guess this thing did pan out for real. Sorry to the mods about the thread placement - I didnt think to put it in the Disney Co News category.

askmike1

DisneyFan 2000 said:
But pairing Eisner and Wells came pretty close to it, don't you think? Why is an option for a creative side to management so impossible these past years?
The fact is though that Walt was not a business man. He was an animator. Creative Genius will almost never occur at executive level, it comes from directors and writers and other creative jobs. No matter what, they would interview other CEOs. Tell me how many CEOs can you think of that you would label as 'Creative Genius'.

CTXRover

askmike1 said:
The fact is though that Walt was not a business man. He was an animator. Creative Genius will almost never occur at executive level, it comes from directors and writers and other creative jobs. No matter what, they would interview other CEOs. Tell me how many CEOs can you think of that you would label as 'Creative Genius'.

That is what scared me the most about a new CEO, whoever it turns out to be. Most CEO's of today, no matter where they are, are more concerned with turning profits and managing the business aspect of a company than fostering the creative edge. Yes, there are those that are even worse than how some perceive Eisner now. That's why I don't know who I would be happy with at the helm. Steve Jobs comes to mind from time to time for me, but I don't even think he would be the perfect fit. I knew the immediate reaction if Iger was chosen would be negative and considered a failure of the search, but I'm not sure who I would have been excited for if someone else was named, if you get my drift. The search involved a lot of people from various press articles I've seen over the past few months, who turned it down for one reason or another before they were ever seriously considered. Sounds like right now the only two serious contenders were Iger and Whitman from E-bay. With her departure from the race, Iger is the only one left. But just so I understand, Iger hasn't been named the CEO officially yet, right? It might just be the press jumping on the news that Iger's the only one left right now. They said they continue the search no later than June of this year, so it seems a bit early to announce a new CEo unless they are REALLY certain with this decision.

wannab@dis

CTXRover said:
The search involved a lot of people from various press articles I've seen over the past few months, who turned it down for one reason or another before they were ever seriously considered. Sounds like right now the only two serious contenders were Iger and Whitman from E-bay. With her departure from the race, Iger is the only one left. But just so I understand, Iger hasn't been named the CEO officially yet, right? It might just be the press jumping on the news that Iger's the only one left right now. They said they continue the search no later than June of this year, so it seems a bit early to announce a new CEo unless they are REALLY certain with this decision.

It appears that it's official... and it was unanimous. :veryconfu

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=576911

I really believe the search was only an attempt at saving face. That's especially clear after finding out that Eisner was going to sit in on the interviews. I'm sure most applicants would be wary of stepping into that situation, especially if Eisner tries to remain in the picture.

It's time for the shareholders to make their displeasure known...

askmike1

CTXRover said:
That is what scared me the most about a new CEO, whoever it turns out to be. Most CEO's of today, no matter where they are, are more concerned with turning profits and managing the business aspect of a company than fostering the creative edge. Yes, there are those that are even worse than how some perceive Eisner now. That's why I don't know who I would be happy with at the helm. Steve Jobs comes to mind from time to time for me, but I don't even think he would be the perfect fit. I knew the immediate reaction if Iger was chosen would be negative and considered a failure of the search, but I'm not sure who I would have been excited for if someone else was named, if you get my drift. The search involved a lot of people from various press articles I've seen over the past few months, who turned it down for one reason or another before they were ever seriously considered. Sounds like right now the only two serious contenders were Iger and Whitman from E-bay. With her departure from the race, Iger is the only one left. But just so I understand, Iger hasn't been named the CEO officially yet, right? It might just be the press jumping on the news that Iger's the only one left right now. They said they continue the search no later than June of this year, so it seems a bit early to announce a new CEo unless they are REALLY certain with this decision.
What CEOs can do is higher creative people. I think Michael Eisner has done this (with such people as Jay Rasulo and Matt Oiumatt) and hope Iger continues to do this.

-Michael

speck76

blackride said:
Not sure I like this move. I would think it would be good to pull in someone from the outside to make the changes that incumbents already had a chance to do.

Why do you think Iger has already had a chance to make changes? If Eisner is really the dictator that everyone makes him out to be, there is a chance that we have not seen but a small amount of what Iger is capable of.

speck76

Number_6 said:
Also, as President, he's had a "chance" to show what he can do and it wasn't that good...

What did he do that was so bad? What would you have done different?....and did he REALLY have a chance...afterall, he was working under Eisner.

speck76

askmike1 said:
And I find it downright dumb that the other person would drop out because Disney was 'taking too long.' Hello, they said they would have a CEO by June! Let's see, it is March so they'd still have 3 more months. The other person wanted it immediately or not at all. =

-Michael

I agree.

It shows that Meg did not want to run DISNEY, she wanted a CEO job at a larger company. The fact that the company could have been DISNEY obviously did not mean that much to her....therefore, I am glad she pulled her name out.

imagineer boy

*kicks table* God damn it!!!!! Is Disney deliberately trying to ruin its self?! Iger will not make anything better!!!! We're gonna be constantly reading about failures and flops again and again on these forums and we're gonna constantly see Disney be a joke in Hollywood again! I've had it! I'm SICK of it!!! I wanna read some good news for once!!!

speck76

imagineer boy said:
And guys, we are really going to have to take some serious action. If Iger bemomes CEO, it will be too late. We need to do anything possible to prevent him from becoming CEO.

Good luck....keep me posted on your success. :lol:

speck76

cherrynegra said:

Once Eisner is gone, EISNER IS GONE. Iger has had to work under him for many years, why do you think a grown man would continue to put up with that once he is in control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom