Robbed at Disney

shelleylea

Our safe was robbed this last week, they took about $325. Everything was very neat, it didn't even look like there was anything out of place. On Tuesday before we left for the parks, we took out some cash, and on Wednesday when we went back for more, there was several bills missing. When we talked to the front desk, they said that they would check the work orders to see if another key was made. Does this happen alot?!??!?

DisneyMissy

Sorry to hear that, I always was under the impression from other people that used them that they are safe to use. I never used them there before but was planning to next month at Pop. Might reconsider now.

Noticed you are new to the boards, welcome.

Upvote 0

New2WDW

We've never had trouble before. Hope everything works out for you!
Was the safe left open when you got back? Or locked back up?

We put all cash onto our room key and if we have any cash it is just what is on us $30 or so.

Upvote 0

shelleylea

Original Poster
it was locked just like we left it.
I just maked me wonder how many people have got robbed but chalked it up to spending too much money.

Upvote 0

KevGuy

Wow, keep us updated on what they do for you, did you report it to the police? You should. I will be there next Thursday hopefully there won't be any problems cuz if there are I will make a big loud deal about it and make the police come into Disney right to the room.

Upvote 0

New2WDW

it was locked just like we left it.
I just maked me wonder how many people have got robbed but chalked it up to spending too much money.

Hmmmm! This will be hard to prove in your case. I hope it does indeed work out for you!

DisneyMissy said:
You can put cash on your room key? I didn't realize this. This is good news to hear.

When we check in I pay off the balance if any and I also put cash on the key card. At the end of the trip if you have any remaining balance you can get your cash back. Do remember they typically want a Credit card on file in case you get too spend happy in the parks!

Upvote 0

shelleylea

Original Poster
they made it sound as if it wouldn't help to call the police, that the security was good enough. I wish that we had though. It would have been better the the little slip of paper with a number on it that we got instead.

Upvote 0

Skylinecar1982

Was the safe one of the ones that you use any card for? The ones that use any magnetic strip? If so I always bring an extra card(anything with mag strip) and use that. Only because if you use the room key they can duplicate that but if you use a random card it should only be stored in the lock mechanism.
I suppose they should have some sort of master key but shouldn't they be more secure with something like that.

Don't know if any of that helps but hope you get your money back and they get to the bottom of this.

Upvote 0

brkgnews

Skyline: the safes in the value resorts have a traditional metal key, which have nothing to do with the keycard you get for your room door.

Upvote 0

JeffC

they made it sound as if it wouldn't help to call the police, that the security was good enough. I wish that we had though. It would have been better the the little slip of paper with a number on it that we got instead.

If for whatevery reason, you should still be able to call the PD for that area and have a report made. Typically if you call the front dest line, you can talk to the desk officer and he can type up a quick report. Obviously, there won't be any CSI involved, but it may help. You can then request they send you a copy of the report.

Upvote 0

Merry Rose

we were also "thieved"

A couple years ago - we had a bag of souveniers missing from our cabin. I know it was there because the night we brought them home, we went through them to see who got what - we put the items back in the bag and put it in the closet - along with 2 other bags of goodies. We went to the park the next day - did not check our stuff that night, but when we went to pack our car the final day - it was gone. We had kept the receipt seperate, so eventually Disney sent us a check. Before we left, I called everyone, the front desk, security, housekeeping, etc. No one found a bag. That one was located right with the other two in the closet - so I can't explain it's disappearance. It wasn't near garbage, it wasn't near sheets or laundry, etc. My question - how often are there bad mousekeepers? What else should we be looking for or how do we hide our belongings? We're going again soon and I thought the safe was safe:cry: , but it must not be?

Upvote 0

pescador1f

always use values

always use value resorts and always leave stuff in the safe, cell phones, car keys, money, jewelry etc. never had an issue, like posted, it is a traditional key.

Upvote 0

KevGuy

scottnj1966 said:
I would have called the police. I still would and reference all the info you gave to Disney. I cannot see why you wouldnt.

Ditto!! Why would you not call the police? Seems like common sense, your robbed, you let the police know, they investigate and try to determine what happened. Obviously if true it would have to be someone with access to the room, so unless you lost a room key and didn't report it, it would have to be mousekeeping as the prime suspect. Given that I would hardly trust a note from another employee with a number on it. Over three hundred dollars is a lot of money! In my state over $250 is considered grand larceney and a felony. I would call the police right now if I were you, I wouldn't care how long ago it happened. You go there for magic, enjoyment and fun. Not to be robbed of over $300. I wouldn't sit back if that happened to me, I would be raising holy hell for sure! :brick:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom