Road trip to WDW?

SSG

A very fun thing to do, if time is not of the essence, is take Route 66 through the southwest. You can get on it in LA and go through northern Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, and to points south from there. Tons of great scenery and quirky sights. And there is the Disney/Pixar/Cars connection

mickEblu

Original Poster
A very fun thing to do, if time is not of the essence, is take Route 66 through the southwest. You can get on it in LA and go through northern Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, and to points south from there. Tons of great scenery and quirky sights. And there is the Disney/Pixar/Cars connection

That’s a really good suggestion, thanks! Their isn’t really much about the Southwest that peaks my interest (scenery, food, or landmarks) outside of Route 66. At least based off what I know.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Moving from West --> East

Arizona:
Attraction: Grand Canyon (duh)
Food? Uh...anything really

New Mexico:
Attraction: Carlsbad Caverns if you're the adventurous type
Food: Eat anywhere that serves their Green Chilies

Texas:
Attraction: The Alamo (without basement), Magnolia Market in Waco (sorry, yes, I DO watch Fixer Upper)
Food: Round Rock Donuts, The Big Texan (Home of the 72oz Steak Challenge)

Louisiana:
Attraction: New Orleans
Food: Don't leave without having Gumbo or a Po'Boy, Cafe Du Monde (beignets for days)

Mississippi/Alabama:
You're on your own...probably fast food and pit stops

Georgia (possibly)
Attraction: Coca Cola Museum, Atlanta Aquarium
Food: Chick Fil A (kidding), The Varsity

Last edited:

SSG

That’s a really good suggestion, thanks! Their isn’t really much about the Southwest that peaks my interest (scenery, food, or landmarks) outside of Route 66. At least based off what I know.
If you go this way, good eats are available:

El Comedor in Moriarty, New Mexico is a family-owned Mexican restaurant, which is great.
Western View Diner in Albuquerque, New Mexico, for comfort food.
Big Vern’s Steakhouse in Shamrock, Texas for grilled meat.
Miz Zip’s in Flagstaff for burgers and diner classics.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Moving from West --> East

Arizona:
Attraction: Grand Canyon (duh)
Food? Uh...anything really

New Mexico:
Attraction: Carlsbad Caverns if you're the adventurous type
Food: Eat anywhere that serves their Green Chilies

Texas:
Attraction: The Alamo (without basement), Magnolia Market in Waco (sorry, yes, I DO watch Fixer Upper)
Food: Round Rock Donuts, The Big Texan (Home of the 72oz Steak Challenge)

Louisiana:
Attraction: New Orleans
Food: Don't leave without having Gumbo or a Po'Boy, Cafe Du Monde (beignets for days)

Mississippi/Alabama:
You're on your own...probably fast food and pit stops

Georgia (possibly)
Attraction: Coca Cola Museum, Atlanta Aquarium
Food: Chick Fil A (kidding), The Varsity

Hahah thanks for this. Ya Alabama and Mississippi is whatever food I come wins out from my research.

I’ll have to look up Magnolia Market. The only fixer upper I know is from Frozen.

mickEblu

Original Poster
If you go this way, good eats are available:

El Comedor in Moriarty, New Mexico is a family-owned Mexican restaurant, which is great.
Western View Diner in Albuquerque, New Mexico, for comfort food.
Big Vern’s Steakhouse in Shamrock, Texas for grilled meat.
Miz Zip’s in Flagstaff for burgers and diner classics.

Awesome, thank you! I’m starting to wonder how much weight I gain on this trip.

dweezil78

Some great landmarks worth checking out in Albuquerque, like this one -
a545dc497c1d4e1385851ca5e12f5a14w-c0xd-w685_h860_q80.jpg

Dutch Inn '76

Ask and ye shall receive: From the thread with the In-N-Out burger mention....

I live in the Memphis area. If you're eating Memphis, you should do Central BBQ and the Rendezvous for BBQ. There are dozens of great 'Q joints in Memphis, but these are the cream at the moment. Central has the most consistently good pulled pork & ribs (and their jerk wings are not to be missed). The Rendezvous is the granddaddy of Memphis Q restaurants and is famous for their dry-rub ribs. They have the best atmosphere of any restaurant in the area, but their ribs can be hit or miss (they are very busy). Gus' Fried Chicken is exceptionally good chicken, although there's good fried chicken everywhere. All three of these restaurants are within walking distance of one another, and other Memphis sights like the river, the Civil Rights Museum (site of MLK's assassination), Beale Street, and the Peabody Hotel. The Bass Pro Pyramid, Mud Island, the Zoo and Graceland are a short drive away in opposite directions.

I've driven across the county several times, and there's plenty in this great land to keep you busy! Enjoy yourself!

mickEblu

Original Poster
Ask and ye shall receive: From the thread with the In-N-Out burger mention....

I live in the Memphis area. If you're eating Memphis, you should do Central BBQ and the Rendezvous for BBQ. There are dozens of great 'Q joints in Memphis, but these are the cream at the moment. Central has the most consistently good pulled pork & ribs (and their jerk wings are not to be missed). The Rendezvous is the granddaddy of Memphis Q restaurants and is famous for their dry-rub ribs. They have the best atmosphere of any restaurant in the area, but their ribs can be hit or miss (they are very busy). Gus' Fried Chicken is exceptionally good chicken, although there's good fried chicken everywhere. All three of these restaurants are within walking distance of one another, and other Memphis sights like the river, the Civil Rights Museum (site of MLK's assassination), Beale Street, and the Peabody Hotel. The Bass Pro Pyramid, Mud Island, the Zoo and Graceland are a short drive away in opposite directions.

I've driven across the county several times, and there's plenty in this great land to keep you busy! Enjoy yourself!

My mouth is watering. Thank you good sir!! Looks like I’ll have to make my way up to Memphis. And I if I call Q, BBQ will I be immmedialtey identified as an out of towner?

Dutch Inn '76

BTW, nice screename/avatar. I stayed at the Dutch Inn back in the 80s in Lake Buena Vista once, don't think I've thought about it in 20 years! Does the hotel hold some kind of significance for you?

Not other than fond memories. We stayed there in 1976 on my first visit to WDW as a kid. We stayed there three nights, and then my mama (after calling every day) got us a one night stay in the Contemporary for our last night. Good times!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom