Road trip to WDW?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Has anyone here road tripped across America? Im thinking instead of DLP or just flying to WDW that a road trip to WDW (and flying back to LA) would be a lot of fun. I kind of want it to be a foodie road trip though mostly the South. Texas, New Orleans, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and then make my way to WDW. I’d like to also hit Kentucky and the Carolinas but I realize that might be pushing it. I want to try all the best BBQ, fried chicken, fixins and gulf seafood the South has to offer. It’s kind of always been a bucket list thing and with the time off I have and my wife not working for now it’s probably as good a time as any. My uncle and his fam might tag along as it’s also been on his bucket list.

I think it makes more sense to do with my young son. More sense then DLP/ Paris at least. We re definitely not taking him there and I think I’ll prob save that for just me and the wife, when my son is older and we won’t feel bad leaving him behind for a week.

How much time would I need for something like this?

Would I be utterly exhausted by the time I got to WDW?

Is April/ May a good time for WDW? Feels like weather wise and crowd wise it’s Pretty good. As long as I avoid Spring Break.

Would it make more sense to fly to WDW then road trip back to LA?

Anyway I feel like this is just the kind of trip I need while I’m in between jobs and after sitting in a cubicle the past 7 years. A mental, spiritual and taste bud awakening if you will. Something good for the soul.

Last edited:

dweezil78

Has anyone here road tripped across America? Im thinking instead of DLP or just flying to WDW that a road trip to WDW (and flying back to LA) would be a lot of fun. I kind of want it to be a foodie road trip though mostly the South. Texas, New Orleans, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and then make my way to WDW. I’d like to also hit Kentucky and the Carolinas but I realize that might be pushing it. I want to try all the best BBQ, fried chicken, fixins and gulf seafood the South has to offer. It’s kind of always been a bucket list thing and with the time off I have and my wife not working for now it’s probably as good a time as any. My uncle and his fam might tag along as it’s also been on his bucket list.

I think it makes more sense to do with my young son. More sense then DLP/ Paris at least. We re definitely not taking him there and I think I’ll prob save that for just me and the wife, when my son is older and we won’t feel bad leaving him behind for a week.

Is April/ May a good time for WDW? Feels like weather wise and crowd wise it’s Pretty good. As long as I avoid Spring Break.

Anyway I feel like this is just the kind of trip I need while I’m in between jobs and after sitting in a cubicle the past 7 years. A mental, spiritual and taste bud awakening if you will. Something good for the soul.

That sounds like a pretty awesome idea to me, I've always wanted to road trip across the US. I'd think you'd want at least two weeks to make it across the country and see stuff along the way, if not more, depending on how much you want to see along the way. Would drive to FL and then fly back from there since you'll be exhausted after WDW and, as they say, getting there is half the fun. :)

WDW in April/May could be a little hot depending on your tolerance of heat and humidity. When I was there a few weeks ago it was in the mid 80s and I found even that to be pretty brutal -- and I spent half my life in Florida!! If your budget permits, I'd recommend giving yourself a full week there as well. Depending on your driving situation, if you have an RV for example, you could save some $$$ by camping over at Fort Wilderness which is a cool thing unique to WDW. Definitely a lot more flexibility for hotels and whatnot at WDW than we have here too, and for the price, WDW's value resorts are a pretty good deal that still give you all the benefits of being on property.

Phroobar

It kind of depends on the route you take. Are you going the southern route on the 10? It would be about 4-5 days with 9 hours per day. The middle of america route would be about 5 days at 8 hours per day. My dad and I did the southern route by going south from Maryland then connecting up with the 10. He never stopped for anything and we got lost in a snowstorm. Not fun driving in a unheated cargo van back.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/long-road-trip-across-america-109310.html

mickEblu

Original Poster
That sounds like a pretty awesome idea to me, I've always wanted to road trip across the US. I'd think you'd want at least two weeks to make it across the country and see stuff along the way, if not more, depending on how much you want to see along the way. Would drive to FL and then fly back from there since you'll be exhausted after WDW and, as they say, getting there is half the fun. :)

WDW in April/May could be a little hot depending on your tolerance of heat and humidity. When I was there a few weeks ago it was in the mid 80s and I found even that to be pretty brutal -- and I spent half my life in Florida!! If your budget permits, I'd recommend giving yourself a full week there as well. Depending on your driving situation, if you have an RV for example, you could save some $$$ by camping over at Fort Wilderness which is a cool thing unique to WDW. Definitely a lot more flexibility for hotels and whatnot at WDW than we have here too, and for the price, WDW's value resorts are a pretty good deal that still give you all the benefits of being on property.

Cool, thanks for the input, I think I’m on the same page. I was thinking two weeks or so to get to WDW and then 5-7 days there. But I kind of also see the merit in flying there and driving back. I feel like the drive would be more exhausting then WDW, no? Maybe not if I take my time.

I think I definitely want to get a hotel when I’m at WDW. Camping seems kind of hardcore after that drive. Lol.

mickEblu

Original Poster
It kind of depends on the route you take. Are you going the southern route on the 10? It would be about 4-5 days with 9 hours per day. The middle of america route would be about 5 days at 8 hours per day. My dad and I did the southern route by going south from Maryland then connecting up with the 10. He never stopped for anything and we got lost in a snowstorm. Not fun driving in a unheated cargo van back.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/long-road-trip-across-america-109310.html

Thanks for the link. I think it would be a combo of the Southern and Pan Handle routes based off what I want to see. I haven’t really mapped it out yet. I’m basing the states I want to see mostly by food I want to eat. Lol

Phroobar

If you are taking the dog make sure to untie his leash from the car before driving away.

original.jpg

dweezil78

Cool, thanks for the input, I think I’m on the same page. I was thinking two weeks or so to get to WDW and then 5-7 days there. But I kind of also see the merit in flying there and driving back. I feel like the drive would be more exhausting then WDW, no? Maybe not if I take my time.

I think I definitely want to get a hotel when I’m at WDW. Camping seems kind of hardcore after that drive. Lol.

Who am I kidding... You'll be exhausted either way haha! I just feel like it'd be nice to know, mentally, that at the end of this long journey you have a fun WDW trip waiting for you and will be staying put for the rest of the trip. Definitely pros and cons for both ways though. If you drive home, you don't have to worry about buying stuff at WDW and figuring out where to put it in your luggage, which is always a pain. If it'd me, I'd drive to FL though for sure!

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Road trips are great and definitely worth exploring. I've only driven from LA to Louisiana in the past, but I can imagine its only another day or two to Florida. The time spent on the road will depend exclusively on what you want to see/do along the way. If you wanna stop at roadside monuments/tourist areas, then you'd probably want over a week. But if you're just a pedal to the metal, no bathroom breaks (not sure thats possible with a two year old) kinda guy, you could conceivably make it in under a week.

I've also done LA to Pittsburgh with my grandparents and that was a, "hit the road at 6AM and drive until Grandpa gets tired" kind of trip...we were only on the road a week, but needless to say, I flew back home.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Road trips are great and definitely worth exploring. I've only driven from LA to Louisiana in the past, but I can imagine its only another day or two to Florida. The time spent on the road will depend exclusively on what you want to see/do along the way. If you wanna stop at roadside monuments/tourist areas, then you'd probably want over a week. But if you're just a pedal to the metal, no bathroom breaks (not sure thats possible with a two year old) kinda guy, you could conceivably make it in under a week.

I've also done LA to Pittsburgh with my grandparents and that was a, "hit the road at 6AM and drive until Grandpa gets tired" kind of trip...we were only on the road a week, but needless to say, I flew back home.

Hahah ya no pedal to the medal with my son. I’m thinking 10-14 days. I’d like to stop in New Orleans for a couple days for sure.

How long did it take you to get to Louisiana from LA?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Who am I kidding... You'll be exhausted either way haha! I just feel like it'd be nice to know, mentally, that at the end of this long journey you have a fun WDW trip waiting for you and will be staying put for the rest of the trip. Definitely pros and cons for both ways though. If you drive home, you don't have to worry about buying stuff at WDW and figuring out where to put it in your luggage, which is always a pain. If it'd me, I'd drive to FL though for sure!

Lol true. Mostly because In either scenario I have a 2 year old.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Hahah ya no pedal to the medal with my son. I’m thinking 10-14 days. I’d like to stop in New Orleans for a couple days for sure.

How long did it take you to get to Louisiana from LA?
Took us a week. And we were hauling a trailer with Grandpa driving. Texas is the long slog. Budget at least 2 days to get across. Maybe more, depending on where your appetite takes you :)

Hattieboxghost110

Definitely recommend these delicious restaurants in the following states:

Texas=Burger King
Louisiana=McDonald's
Mississippi=Applebee's
Alabama=Olive Garden
Georgia= KFC
Florida=Dairy Queen
Magic Kingdom=Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe/Tony's Town Square (2fer)

Bon Appetit, my friend!

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Definitely recommend these delicious restaurants in the following states:

Texas=Burger King
Louisiana=McDonald's
Mississippi=Applebee's
Alabama=Olive Garden
Georgia= KFC
Florida=Dairy Queen
Magic Kingdom=Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe/Tony's Town Square (2fer)

Bon Appetit, my friend!

YUMMMMM. Seriously though, I’m not mad at a buttermilk crispy chicken sandwich from Mickey Ds right about now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom