Riverside Question

pop lover

We have stayed at Pop Century a number of times and Caribban Beach once. This coming April we were thinking about doing two weeks at Riverside for a change of scenery. What are some pros and cons of this resort? Also what room would you pick between preferred or riverview? Finally what is there bus transportation yet?

ThinkTink721

We have stayed at Pop Century a number of times and Caribban Beach once. This coming April we were thinking about doing two weeks at Riverside for a change of scenery. What are some pros and cons of this resort? Also what room would you pick between preferred or riverview? Finally what is there bus transportation yet?
We have stayed at POR & at POP, we definitely prefer POR.
Things we like about POR:
-quiet & scenic
-can take boat to/from DTD
-relaxing pools
-rooms are a little larger than POP
-decor is nicer than POP
-double sinks in bathroom are a plus (especially for my family of 5)
-food court is nicer
-can rent bikes
-can take carriage rides
-bus transportation is shared with POFQ, but we have never had a really long wait for a bus

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

Someone else might have posted this but if not, here you go - http://www.portorleans.org/ - a website for PO. :)

Upvote 0

808in702

Hi,
We recently got back from staying at Riverside. We were in Building 37 in the AB, it was very close to the North bus stop and we had a garden view.
Pros: It wasn't noisy and it didn't feel like there were a lot of kids staying at the resort.
It was a short walk to the bus stop and a 5 min walk to ol' Man Island, from there is was about a 5 minute walk to the lobby.
The theming was nice, food court had a lot of variety, restaurant food was good.
Pool was nice and it wasn't that crowded.
Guards let my girls swim to midnight as long as we didn't make noise (quiet pool)
Most of the CM's were nice and helpful.

Cons: Bus service suck because we had to share with FQ, so when we closed Blizzard Beach and Animal Kingdom, it took us 2 hours to get back to our room.
The waitress we had at the restaurant was terrible until it was time to bring the check.

We didn't use any other amenities except for the pool, but the resort is nice. Just wish there was a better solution for the busses. Whatever you decide, just have fun.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

BEAUTIFUL resort. We generally only stay at deluxe/DVC but I would stay at Riverside in a heartbeat if the opportunity came up. Great atmosphere, variety of room themes, and a very relaxing, escapist feel that would be great after a long day at WDW. Boat transit to Downtown Disney is also nice. The one downside might be the somewhat lacking variety of food options, but that can be amended with a quick boat ride to French Quarter (one of the better food courts on property) or the previously mentioned Downtown Disney.
Whoa! Do you think FQ has better food options than RS ? May I differ with you in a nice way.FQ has Beignets RS has create your own pasta,the carving station,better pizza,awesome create your own salads.

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
As all others have said - You really can't beat this resort. Great amotsphere, nice pool. Just all around awesome.
You can't go wrong with either of the PO resorts. They each have their own charm but both are can't miss.

Upvote 0

pop lover

Original Poster
Our favorite! As for where to stay, I'd prefer one of the mansions as opposed to the Alligator Bayou area. I like the theming better, and it's closer to the pools and main building. As for Standard or Water views, there's not much of a difference and I wouldn't pay extra for it. They do have the Royal Rooms though, and if you wanted to experience those the extra price may be worth it. We have a 2 yr. old, and when we go on 2013 we're staying in a Royal Room b/c she's becoming enamored w/ the Princesses. I also loved that you could take a boat to DD, a welcome change from the constant buses. My favorite food court as well. The restaurant is good, but a bit overpriced, I'd rather spend my WDW money elsewhere.

Thanks for all your info. This will be our 5th trip in 5 years but was afraid of a change but there is only so much of one resort u can take. I booked for April just afer easter for 2 weeks in a riverview room and requested building 80.

Upvote 0

dopeylover

Oh good! I think you will like it! We stayed at CBR our last stay for the 1st time. I loved the Pirate Room, and I loved our stay, but I found it to be VERY spread out. People say the same sometimes about POR, but I think the location you've picked makes it much closer and accessible to you! CBR was also going thru renovations when we were there last year, and there was a lot of construction equipment around, so I think you made the right choice moving if this stuff is still going on. Have a great time, and do try the carriage ride if you have an opportunity! It was wonderful, and they are very respectful of the horses there, as that is always a concern of mine with those types of things.

Upvote 0

luv

Pros: relaxing resort. Good for walks or runs late at night or in the early morning. Excellent food court. The best food court of all the mods. The mansions area is pretty and the AB section is rustic. I prefer the AB rooms.

Cons: I don't like the rooms in the mansions section, but that's just a personal preference.

The water views aren't too hot.

TREE FROGS! If you're walking alone at night and suddenly feel slimy, sucky things on your legs, don't freak out. Don't start screaming and flailing about, slapping wildly at your legs in the dark, because you don't know what these slimy, sucky things attacking you are. Because someone will show up on a golf cart and be staring at you when you've finally stopped screaming, flailing and hitting yourself. He will calmly say, "Tree frog?" and you'll say, "I don't know! Slimy, sucky things! On my legs! I don't know what they are! I think they're gone!" and he will gently nod his head and say, in a calm, confirming tone, "Tree frog."

Then, in addition to trying to catch your breath, stop your pulse from racing and just calm down...you will also feel like an idiot.

It is a tree frog. And sometimes, they leap from the tree and land on you. It may be so dark you can't see it, but that's what it is. And it will jump from one part of your body to another...especially if you are jumping around and hitting yourelf (and it.) It isn't multiple blood-sucking wild animals or aliens. It's one tree frog. And it won't hurt you.

Not that I have any personal experience with that.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

The frogs and lizards are always animals my boys want to catch, but we look at them from afar instead of putting them in a jar! I've never had one land on me though. The Disney ducks are my favorite! PORS is a very nice resort. My boys loved the main pool slide. You can also go fishing, catch & release of course.
The best part is the boat to DD. We never had a problem w/ the buses.:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom