River Country

Kamikaze

We only made it to River Country, back in late 1997. I was still a kid back then, but do have some fond memories of the place. Don't know if it was just sentimentality, but I'd rather go back there than Typhoon or Blizzard. I certainly don't remember it being too crowded the time we went.

And thats one of the major reasons why it closed.

PRNCSAurora

I may be in the minority here, but I never really enjoyed River Country. This definitely could be because I was a bit prissy as a child.
That being said, it is a shame that Disney has let this area just go to ruins. I definitely think they could use that land for something.

worldfanatic

We love OKW as well, as it is so laid back. If we want "hustle and bustle" we go to the Boardwalk for part of our vacation then relax at OKW afterwards!!

That's exactly how we like to do it.:D

We only made it to River Country, back in late 1997. I was still a kid back then, but do have some fond memories of the place. Don't know if it was just sentimentality, but I'd rather go back there than Typhoon or Blizzard.

I also went to River Country a couple times back in the 90's, and have some very fond memories.
However, aside from RC's unique location, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are light years better. No contest.

I may be in the minority here, but I never really enjoyed River Country.

That being said, it is a shame that Disney has let this area just go to ruins. I definitely think they could use that land for something.

I think River Country was a great place to visit, but I also think it's remembered by many as much better than it was.

Imagine how upset people would be if Typhoon or Blizzard had been built first, and then closed for River Country to open.
With sentimentality off the table, it would've set off a Nuclear Explosion of Anger on these message boards.
The much smaller size and limited attractions alone just wouldn't have cut it.:shrug:

However, I agree it's a shame that it just sits there in ruins.
Hopefully something's done in that beautiful area off Bay Lake soon.

spock

I think River Country was a great place to visit, but I also think it's remembered by many as much better than it was.

I think this is true for pretty much any attraction which no longer exists and which we have fond memories of. However, I can recall visiting River Country and Typhoon Lagoon on the same trip and actually enjoying River Country more. Granted, a huge reason for that was due to the fact that Typhoon Lagoon tended to draw the crowds, which made River Country very pleasant by comparison. But I also remember thinking the slides at River Country were actually better than those at the much larger, and more modern, Typhoon Lagoon.

PhilharMagician

This is a myth. If there was a bacteria problem as has been suggested, you wouldn't be able to waterski, tube, etc. in Bay Lake (which you can). It is my understanding that the reason they primarily do not want guests swimming by the resorts (aside from the obvious liability without a lifeguard) is because of the boats transporting guests back and forth to the Magic Kingdom.

Where can you water ski and tube? I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about this?

Enviromental permits similar to what was released for the rumored :rolleyes: GF DVC expansion have been released for the area from Pioneer Hall in FW West past RC. The plans showed some expansion into Bay Lake and the removal of RC.

phlip78

I'm sure this has been said somewhere but why did it ever close? What is wrong with the seven seas lagoon water all of a sudden? I remember my parents taking me as a kid and if you stayed at Polynesian or Contemporary, you could swim off the beach for at least 30 feet or so. That water was also part of river country but all of a sudden signs of do not swim, etc.

River country was such a great water park, just a fun "swimming hole" as they referred to it. Such a waste of land, try to renovate it or build something there.

phlip78

The part about because of boats transporting guests. They always put up those lines where you couldn't swim past a certain point. And they used to have life guards before manning the beach, I see no reason why Disney couldn't employ a few more people to do this again. It was always a fun time to swim in that area as a kid.

janoimagine

This is a myth. If there was a bacteria problem as has been suggested, you wouldn't be able to waterski, tube, etc. in Bay Lake (which you can). It is my understanding that the reason they primarily do not want guests swimming by the resorts (aside from the obvious liability without a lifeguard) is because of the boats transporting guests back and forth to the Magic Kingdom.

The bacteria isn't a myth ... it can be found in nearly any shallow (stagnant) warm water in Florida (Like 1" to 1' ish range) ... but the conditions have to be near perfect for someone to actually contract it, and when you tube or ski ... your almost always in deeper (5' or greater) water . I think what you honestly have is a factor of several things ... boat traffic, water purity, and wildlife. (Gators aside, you also have Water Moccasins, Copperheads and Coral Snakes to worry about in or near the water) My fiance' and I have seen several Water Moccasins on the way to the boat launch at the Wilderness Lodge ... until someone can speak to the actual person who made the decision not to allow guests to swim in the lake, we will continue to guess about this.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm sure this has been said somewhere but why did it ever close? What is wrong with the seven seas lagoon water all of a sudden? I remember my parents taking me as a kid and if you stayed at Polynesian or Contemporary, you could swim off the beach for at least 30 feet or so. That water was also part of river country but all of a sudden signs of do not swim, etc.

River country was such a great water park, just a fun "swimming hole" as they referred to it. Such a waste of land, try to renovate it or build something there.
This is one of the things wrong will all lake water that gets above 85 degrees.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44171292/ns/health-infectious_diseases/

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/08/15/deadly-amoeba-suspected-in-florida-teens-death/

Monorail_Orange

Also, FWIW, there is another report this morning of another young male that died from this same ameoba in Southeast Louisiana. Sorry, I don't have a link, but heard it on the radio newscast on my drive in to work.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Also, FWIW, there is another report this morning of another young male that died from this same ameoba in Southeast Louisiana. Sorry, I don't have a link, but heard it on the radio newscast on my drive in to work.
Correct. So far the amoeba body count stands at 3 for the year. It is a very real thing and while it is not the only reason RC is gone and swimming is not allowed on the beaches in WDW, it is a very valid one.

PhilharMagician

This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but RC was basically closed as the result of a drastic slowdown following 09/11/01 incident. RC closed it's doors in November 2001 for the last time because of cutbacks which happened throughout the resort. RC had already been seeing some cutbacks with it's seasonal status prior to it's closing and the writing was on the wall for it's final demise. I do believe that the water issue was on their minds, but did specifically close the doors. Today they still allow swimming in bay lake during the Triathlon, but as we all know swimming for the average guest is not permitted.

tahqa

This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but RC was basically closed as the result of a drastic slowdown following 09/11/01 incident. RC closed it's doors in November 2001 for the last time because of cutbacks which happened throughout the resort. RC had already been seeing some cutbacks with it's seasonal status prior to it's closing and the writing was on the wall for it's final demise. I do believe that the water issue was on their minds, but did specifically close the doors. Today they still allow swimming in bay lake during the Triathlon, but as we all know swimming for the average guest is not permitted.

That is correct, however... the athletes are encouraged to wear nose-plugs as that is the point of entry for the amoeba.

Monorail_Orange

That is correct, however... the athletes are encouraged to wear nose-plugs as that is the point of entry for the amoeba.

Ok, badly OT, but this reminds me of the moment in Roger Rabbit, when Judge Doom caught Roger in the bar and is holding him by the neck over the barrel of Dip:

Doom: "Any last requests?"

Roger: "Nose plugs would be nice!"

Communicore

How come in the 70's - 90's there were no amoebas in River Country? Or were there amoeba deaths there, just unreported? I'm glad I never went there as I find swimming in a lake gross to begin with.

_Scar

How come in the 70's - 90's there were no amoebas in River Country? Or were there amoeba deaths there, just unreported? I'm glad I never went there as I find swimming in a lake gross to begin with.

Amoebas were there? But I'm still unsure whether or not the River Country water used extra-filters or not because I'm always reading conflicting reports. =/

And yea, I can't even imagine swimming in any lake whether it's BL or SSL. Gators, snakes, fish (maybe that's just me), and dirty water.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I do not recall any at RC but I know that there have been several cases in the lakes just outside of WDW. The thing to realize is that dying from this is incredibly rare. Circumstances have to be just right for it to happen. More importantly this is not the sole reason RC is closed. It is merely a single check in a very long con list RC had going against it. Had those other cons not been there Disney could have figured out a way to isolate and chlorinate the water in RC. Ultimately is was just not worth it. The park was simply too small, in a bad location, and TL and BB were doing great while it floundered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom