River Country

What a shame. They should have at least maintained the area such as the buildings, the pathways, and the pools, and please mow and weed control the area. Even if they were going to close it, they should have filled the pools and water areas in to prevent the massive mosquito breeding grounds that they have created.

They also could have kept this going as a cast member cool down retreat or rented it out for private events for corporations, large groups, etc. This would have at least let the area receive some regular maintenance To let everything rot and go to waste is a sad disappointment. There were so many better options if they had only used their imaginations!

Scuttle

Nothing is impossible. However, River Country is about as close to impossible as it gets. Just looking at photos of its current condition can give one the chills. Its unsanitary, to say the least. They would have to gut it and start from scratch. To be honest, I'm surprised Disney was allowed to leave the place like they did. There are still lights, ropes, signs, slides, and all sorts of material still in or near the water. That can't go well with environmentalists...

Agree. I can't believe they just left it there to rot.

flavious27

I was just wondering if anyone knows any rumors about River Country's future. I know it is abandoned, but I have been wondering if Disney is going to replace it, reopen it, tear it down or let it rot. I would be happy to know any information.:)

Thanks,
CaptainEO95

Anyone's guess. I think it will just be an explorer's funland for the next decade or more.

Meeko's Mom

I would be very sad to see a new DVC site built at FW, IMO it would take away from the original feel of the campground. DVC Resorts and FW are two very different vacations. FW is a very laid back experience (which is great for longer stays) and DVC Resorts are more of a hustle and bustle feel (better for shorter stays), at least for our family. We are DVC owners, but sometimes prefer to travel in our RV and stay at the campgorund. Putting a DVC resort there would prohibit DVC owners from booking a site with points. Their only option would be to book and pay cash (which we have done) and used our points on a different stay but it's a nice option to be able to book using points. :shrug:

tikiman

rcareabig.jpg

To keep the water in River Country fresh, Imagineers built a giant flexible intake/filter tube which was placed at the mouth of River Country's Bay Cove, opening up into Bay Lake. The tube was filled with water and monitoring equipment to allow it to expand and contract to maintain the water level.

The water from Bay Lake would be pumped through this tube to the top of the water slides at a rate of 8,500 gallons per minute. The excess water in River Country would spill out over the "bladder," back into Bay Lake.

The bladder was a large rubber wall that separated River Country from Bay Lake. It was inflated 6 inches above the surface of Bay Lake so River Country's water level was higher, allowing gravity to spill the water back into Bay Lake.

Tigger1988

I would be very sad to see a new DVC site built at FW, IMO it would take away from the original feel of the campground. DVC Resorts and FW are two very different vacations. FW is a very laid back experience (which is great for longer stays) and DVC Resorts are more of a hustle and bustle feel (better for shorter stays), at least for our family. We are DVC owners, but sometimes prefer to travel in our RV and stay at the campgorund. Putting a DVC resort there would prohibit DVC owners from booking a site with points. Their only option would be to book and pay cash (which we have done) and used our points on a different stay but it's a nice option to be able to book using points. :shrug:

Staying at Old Key West has never been anything even remotely resembling "hustle and bustle" we like it because of the laid back environment.

MrMorrowTom

Going back on topic, Bring back river country even if they do close off the lake water make it look like an infinity pool. Not really using the lake but giving the illusion *ooooh ahhhhh*

flavious27

rcareabig.jpg

To keep the water in River Country fresh, Imagineers built a giant flexible intake/filter tube which was placed at the mouth of River Country's Bay Cove, opening up into Bay Lake. The tube was filled with water and monitoring equipment to allow it to expand and contract to maintain the water level.

The water from Bay Lake would be pumped through this tube to the top of the water slides at a rate of 8,500 gallons per minute. The excess water in River Country would spill out over the "bladder," back into Bay Lake.

The bladder was a large rubber wall that separated River Country from Bay Lake. It was inflated 6 inches above the surface of Bay Lake so River Country's water level was higher, allowing gravity to spill the water back into Bay Lake.

That is one of the best pictures of what river country looked like.

I don't think a dvc at FW would be anymore of a difference in feel than say the cabins.

My biggest problem is that it would kind of stick out if they place it where river country is. I would like river country to be remodeled into a pool area for FW and shared with a dvc resort.

Okw

Staying at Old Key West has never been anything even remotely resembling "hustle and bustle" we like it because of the laid back environment.

We love OKW as well, as it is so laid back. If we want "hustle and bustle" we go to the Boardwalk for part of our vacation then relax at OKW afterwards!!

Monorail Black

We only made it to River Country, back in late 1997. I was still a kid back then, but do have some fond memories of the place. Don't know if it was just sentimentality, but I'd rather go back there than Typhoon or Blizzard. I certainly don't remember it being too crowded the time we went.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom