River Country won't reopen soon

General Grizz

Original Poster
River Country won't reopen soon

Although Walt Disney World's two water parks have been mobbed this summer, officials say the recently closed River Country swimming hole won't reopen this year.

"River Country will remain closed at least through 2002," said Rena Callahan, a Disney World spokeswoman.

Opened in 1976, River Country closed in April after falling in popularity behind Disney's newer water parks, Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon, which opened in 1995 and 1988, respectively.

Still, Callahan acknowledged that the new parks are operating at capacity and turning away guests on some days. In fact, during the July 4 weekend, some guests at both parks had to park their cars in grassy lots near the paved lots. By midday Sunday, July 7, Blizzard Beach had closed its lot and guests were being directed to Typhoon Lagoon a few miles away -- where the parking lots were full, too.

Poster advertisements at Typhoon and Blizzard still tout River Country as Disney's third water park, but Callahan said they shouldn't be interpreted as a hint that it will reopen any time soon.

River Country, touted as Disney's old-fashioned water park, re-created the nostalgia of the all-American swimming place at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground near Disney's Bay Lake.

A Disney official said in April that River Country would reopen if "there's enough guest demand." How much demand would that be? Callahan couldn't say, but apparently it isn't enough that the two newer parks are frequently overflowing with customers.

Blizzard Beach, with attendance of 1.8 million in 2001, and Typhoon Lagoon, with 1.6 million, were ranked No. 1 and No. 2 among the world's top water parks last year, according to estimates by Amusement Business magazine. River Country didn't make the top 15.

Copyright © 2002, Orlando Sentinel

mousefan17

I was at Typhoon Lagoon on Tuesday (July9) and there was no where near the amount of people that they ae saying! It was awsome! The entire time I was there (July 6-13) the only bad crowd that we had was at MGM on Wednesday (July 10) for Fantasmic! (It was standing room only one hour before it started!)

My point..... there wasnt a horrible crowd at Typhoon on Tuesday July 9th!

leeocean

It was great for the people with little kids. It's a damn shame. Especially if attendance is begging for it to be open.

Luau Cove

The thing is: If Disney is spending more money than earning from River Country, it's a good choice to close the park so the balance mantains the same -no mantainance, no profit. I think RC will re-open some day but will soon be replaced by another modern water park, which I really think it's necessary since TL and BB are evidently full.

-->LUAU

kaos

July 2 - 6, when I was there, Blizzard Beach was at capacity and the buses would not even take passengers there.

I know you are not suppose to believe rumors from cast members, BUT, when we were at BB in June, a life guard hinted that RC would re-open after a major change. He hinted that they were going to dramatically change it to get it up to speed with TL and BB. He said the TL was known for themeing, BB was known for the rides/slides, and RC would have its own "claim to fame". I don't know what he meant and of course, as always, IT'S JUST A RUMOR. But its fun to try and guess. What does everybody think would be a good theme or change besides the obvious of adding new slides?

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
I know you are not suppose to believe rumors from cast members, BUT, when we were at BB in June, a life guard hinted that RC would re-open after a major change. He hinted that they were going to dramatically change it to get it up to speed with TL and BB. He said the TL was known for themeing, BB was known for the rides/slides, and RC would have its own "claim to fame". I don't know what he meant and of course, as always, IT'S JUST A RUMOR. But its fun to try and guess. What does everybody think would be a good theme or change besides the obvious of adding new slides?

Is there enough room at RC to be on the same level as TL and BB?

Hurricane

I just don't see there as being enough room, as i recall there isn't much space other than the main pool and the 2 slides and 1 raft ride. There is also a chlorinated pool with a drop/plunge slide and a small kiddie area with 2 minor slides. I haven't been there in a long time, but as i recall there was some kind of a grassy lawn/picnic area opposite the main pool, but I just don't see there as having much room for expansion.

Testtrack321

I'd much rather see a new River Country (with updated slides) in there than the one they have now. Nothing big, but make it look newer and possibly reduce the water depth in the main pool to make it a big kiddie pool.

prberk

Still a good idea

I still think that a slow, Tom-Sawyer-style water park is a good idea, and a good complement to the big, fast-paced Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. Not everyone wants to go wild, especially parents with small children, or older people. No one ever said, by the way that RC was not making money.

I think if RC really had an attendance problem, it was partly due to the old marketing call of "location, location, location." It is harder to find and get to (at the back of Fort Wilderness) than the others, which are easily seen and accessed from main roads.

For this reason the other two have an advantage, and get more attention.

Either way, though, I think River Country and its slow pace help balance the past-paced attractions at WDW. You need the relaxing places to complete the "resort" idea (as opposed to simply a collection of thrill ride areas).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom