River country to re-open in 2010?

Lance

I wish they'd allow mature enough people to go walk around the old RC site, cause I hate driving my golf cart down to the closed entrance, I wish I could walk around the planked water walkway.... close off all the pools and water, I just would love to walk around the site again!

it'll never happen, but I like to think it could...lol... I often thinking about jumping the gate, but I never do... "oh wow this is closed... I had no idea from the boarded up entrance and sign that says no entry.... damn"

But, about time WDW gives FW a themed pool, me along with many other FW fans have been waiting YEARS and YEARS for it! The days of pool hopping might be over for FW guests!

bgraham34

This was the first water park I ever went too. I enjoyed it a lot. When taking the boat from WL to MK I always think back to my first trip there.

wdwfan100

I first went there in 1978. In those days it was like no swimming area I had ever been to. I realize it would be a ton of work to open it back up, but it sure would be cool. Even if it was just as a themed pool for FW

WDW Lover

Wouldn't it be perfect place to incorporate their Pirate-themed adventure design concept from the investor report...sure would be a worthy location to reutilize again.

Ok, I don't mean to hijack this read, but....

I read this post and said to myself, "what is this pirate themed adventure that you speak of?". I'm not privy to investor reports. Then I recalled seeing the Flying Dutchman down at Disney's island in the Caribbean.

100_0868.jpg

And I said to myself, "self, wouldn't something like this just look great somewhere in WDW?". Well, sure! Now, where, that is the question. Put it near River Country. Put it in any one of the dozens of lakes. Put it anywhere.

Point being, and I mean no blasphemy against purists, but the POTC ride, while a classic to us that have been riding it for decades before the movies, just doesn't come anywhere near what people who are new to POTC expect. Let's just imagine that there were no ride and this was a new trilogy of movies that made a billion dollars. Wouldn't that warrant some sort of MEGA ride where the Dutchman, all be it scaled down, came up from the depths of the sea, or that octopus thing came up like Jaws, some real scary stuff? Alright, maybe they'd never do anything over the top, ala Universal, but we should have some homage to the biggest grossing film in their recent history. Something other than an animatronic in a dimly lit version of Small World. :snore:

To hell with American Idol. You want an ATTRACTION at DHS? I say get Girty or whatever it's name is out of Echo Lake. It looks ridiculous and out of place. Put a small Dutchman there, or a small Pearl, and then...Well, lets just say that the very close Indiana Jones real estate would be used for something else. Then, and only then, would I be drawn to DHS. No disrespect to the MIB rip off that they call Toy Story Mania.

mibinside.jpg

Flame on. :hammer:

BSikor

I walked down there the other day to take a peek and I was stopped by some dude in plain clothes. He looked like an independent contractor and he was taking measurements and shooed me away.

Spike-in-Berlin

While it could make some sense as part of a pool in a new resort area I don't think that it stands a chance as reopening as the third waterpark. It would be MUCH cheaper to build something completely new at a better location instead of modernizing a subpar and technically obsolete, increasingly decaying facility that never was a big success in the first place. I saw pictures of River Country and never wanted to go there. I saw the first plans of TL and was sure I want to see this. Who would go, for other reasons than nostalgia, to a reopened RC if he can go to TL and BB?

bgraham34

I walked down there the other day to take a peek and I was stopped by some dude in plain clothes. He looked like an independent contractor and he was taking measurements and shooed me away.

You should have told him you live there. And that is was illegally on your property.

agent86

While it could make some sense as part of a pool in a new resort area I don't think that it stands a chance as reopening as the third waterpark. It would be MUCH cheaper to build something completely new at a better location instead of modernizing a subpar and technically obsolete, increasingly decaying facility that never was a big success in the first place. I saw pictures of River Country and never wanted to go there. I saw the first plans of TL and was sure I want to see this. Who would go, for other reasons than nostalgia, to a reopened RC if he can go to TL and BB?

I would go in a heartbeat! I'm not implying that I think it's feasible to reopen it, but simply answering your question, there are people who would find RC a more appealing option than the other two bigger, more fast paced water parks. In fact, I remember going on trips where I visited TL and RC on the same trip, and would find RC a nice welcome change.

Ordinarily, I agree that nostalgia is very often a driving force behind attractions that many on here tend to rate highly. But in the case of River Country, I think you are incorrect. It was truly just a nice change of pace, and that contributed to a great vacation overall.

agent86

What sort of "measurements" was he taking...from not even inside the park?? That seems sort of vague. :confused:

Mimi

So that's where Jimmy Hoffa ended up?

LOL

Seriously though, I am a huge RC fan and I'd love to see it re-opened, however, I live in reality where it is clear that there is no hope. It lived a full, happy and memorable life. But now It is time to let it go... life goes on.

Goodbye old friend. Thanks for the memories. :wave:

PhilharMagician

I really don't have much to say besides :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:.

It will not reopen as River Country! Rumors that parts of RC may move to FW pool area in the future. This alone shows the demise of RC's future.

wendysmom

Ok, I don't mean to hijack this read, but....

I say get Girty or whatever it's name is out of Echo Lake. It looks ridiculous and out of place.

I really, really *love* Gerty!!!:lookaroun Anyway, I liked RC, but do agree a Pirate-themed water park would be fun. But, leave Gerty out of this!!:wave:

herc

Thank you for clearing up why River Country closed for so many readers. As for the Disney Company using parts of it for the Ft. Wilderness pool area, I'm all for it. The only thing I disagree with you on is letting the woods reclaim the area. I would rather Disney clean it out first. There is no reason why building and concrete and trashcans, etc. should be left without them being thrown away.
I remember going to River Country many times as a child and loved it immensely. True, it was a pain in the butt to get to and filled to capacity quite early in the day.
I would love to see Ft. Wilderness take over this area for future projects.
Hopefully, we'll see another Disney water park. Not thrilled with the space themed one. Would rather see Rajun Cajun theme or a pirates theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom