River country to re-open in 2010?

girlface

Original Poster
I was watching a few videos of classic disney,and came across water country and reading the comments someone wrote it is to reopen in 2010 as part of a resort,they aid they knew this because they worked for disney, Is this true or not????:rolleyes:

Btw,it would be awesome if the guys on this website updated the past attractions page. I love looking at the old rides thanks guys xxxxxxx

sknydave

Someone posted photos on here a while ago and it looked like Chernobyl. If by some chance they were to re-open it, they would have to recreate all of the attractions with chlorinated water like the other water parks.

JWG

Only if it means that's the site for a 3rd new water park. And by new, I mean they start over from scratch.

Or, option two, only if it means they're applying the name to some other new attraction/water park elsewhere in the future.

WDFAN1977

I loved this water park. Was it shut down because of it's use of lake water? Your also not allowed access via the beach to swim in the lake anymore. What is in the lake water that closed a great water park and does not allow guest to swim in it. I also find it weird that they shut down RC and will not allow swimming, but when my wife and I went with Sammy Duval for wake boarding it was okay:shrug:.

hpyhnt 1000

I suppose they could reopen it. They'd have to install new plumbing, filtration, and close the area off from Bay Lake, basically, start from scratch, but I don't think this is going to happen.

cdunbar

Well I think it has to do with the fact that bay lake is constantly moving, hence the water doesn't become stagnet and start to grow bacteria. When they used it for RC, the problem was the water was in pools, and pools are constantly moving and so hence the water becomes stagnet and bacteria grows and then people get sick and it just doesn't end well...

Fun2BFree

River Country in its current form was too low capacity anyway. If, and I mean if, WDW did anything, they'd be just as well to gut the facility and do something else.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I loved this water park. Was it shut down because of it's use of lake water? Your also not allowed access via the beach to swim in the lake anymore. What is in the lake water that closed a great water park and does not allow guest to swim in it. I also find it weird that they shut down RC and will not allow swimming, but when my wife and I went with Sammy Duval for wake boarding it was okay:shrug:.
Water quality was one of a myriad of reason why RC closed. Among those would be bad location, limited capacity, small size, staffing etc.

NeverEnufDisney

The Orlando Sentinel the other day reported that they were looking through River Country to see what could be taken over to Ft.Wilderness and the pools. They want to make a water area including a large water slide and the signature water tower from River Country. If there is anything else of use I suspect they will reuse it for this upgrade.

RogueHabit

Just had a look on Google Earth and it really doesn't look to savory... Even the standalone pool is a funny shade of green.

River Country/Discovery Island

Wouldn't it be perfect place to incorporate their Pirate-themed adventure design concept from the investor report...sure would be a worthy location to reutilize again.

Alex Trevelyan

There were a number of reasons why River Country closed

Among them were new state safety regulations involving water quality that would have required additional investments in the property to get it into regulatory compliance, another was a liability concern regarding said water quality (an amebae proliferates in Florida's rivers and lakes that causes a form of meningitis and there have been some deaths from it.) River Country's water was sourced from Bay Lake, so this was a concern.

There were other business and logistical reasons for its closure too. It had low capacity, was in a remote part of the property inaccessible to visitors, and was largely obsolete compared to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, both of which boasted state of the art attractions that frankly made those on offer at River Country pale in comparison.

There has been talk of salvaging elements from River Country to compliment, or expand, the resort pool area for those staying at Ft. Wilderness. It would not be a reopening of River Country. But a third waterpark was on the drawing boards as recently as last year according to Blue Sky Disney. A third water park was planned for opening during the "Disney Decade" of the nineties, but was shelved, it may now be coming to fruitition. At one point it had a space theme, but later morphed into a concept called Ragin' Cajun Lagoon which shared a similar sort of back woodsy theme with River Country, but with a bayou twist. TL and BB reach capacity before noon in the summer, and Aquatica is generating huge crowds, so the need for a third water park is there.

The nostalgic part of me just wishes they'd leave the RC site alone and let it be reclaimed by nature little by little, like an old barn, or an abandoned railroad track. River Country invented the modern water park, it was twenty-years ahead of its time. The thought of them ripping it apart, even to use elements of it elsewhere, just doesn't sit right.

Iknewagirlnamed

Unfortunately, it has been so taken over by decay I don't think it would be very feasible financially to reopen it. It would need to be re-imagineered, imo. Plus, an imagineer has stated that he doesn't believe it would ever reopen. He stated something to the effect of, "River Country could not charge the same as the other two water parks, because it isn't of the same stature" (totally adlibbing but that was the basic jest)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom