River Country Pics

Ziffell

Ok, so physically speaking -- Its obvious the River Country complex was near where WL presently sits, but having only stayed at the Contemporary, where would I look out over the water to get a general idea of direction? I'm just curious as to what area River Country once existed.

It's walking distance from WL, but still a little ways away from it. It's not exactly next to it, but not too terribly far. Basically the best way to describe it is this: If you're at the WL, there is a spot down by the lake where you can rent boats, bikes, etc. Just to the right of that, as you're facing it, if you just keep walking in the direction where the lake is on your left, you'll eventually get to the outside of where River Country is. The trail eventually turns to the right and ends up on a paved road that leads to the stables, petting zoo, etc. You're walking past RC before you get to those spots.

Spyne

Amazing, indeed. But at the same time, it's a very sad state of affairs to see River Country just rot away. You'd think WDW management would of actually done something about it, at least level the whole thing before vegetation started spreading into the area. I really wish they'd just do...well, something to that land.

Ziffell

If you don't hop the fence, there is an area behind the bigger slides that Guests could walk to or dock a boat at (but that's very hard to do without getting caught.)

I want to believe the photographer had some kind of permission to get in. I'd be afraid Lake Patrol would have seen me there.

Once again, you'd be surprised. I've spent a lot of time in that general vicinity and on more than one occasion, I've wandered into that dock area that you're referring to. I've actually walked past the small buildings and sat in the boats that are docked there and taken pictures from them. I've seen Lake Patrol whizzing by and not bother me or radio anyone that I was there. Nothing in the area indicates that it's off limits to guests... no signs, no fences, nothing. I always got the feeling that if I ever did encounter a CM in that area, they wouldn't really care that I was there.

TheAmazingBobbo

It's walking distance from WL, but still a little ways away from it. It's not exactly next to it, but not too terribly far. Basically the best way to describe it is this: If you're at the WL, there is a spot down by the lake where you can rent boats, bikes, etc. Just to the right of that, as you're facing it, if you just keep walking in the direction where the lake is on your left, you'll eventually get to the outside of where River Country is. The trail eventually turns to the right and ends up on a paved road that leads to the stables, petting zoo, etc. You're walking past RC before you get to those spots.

Thanks. Right after I posted that, I was able to find it on Google Earth. It looks a lot closer on there than everyone has described, but it was really neat to use the time function on Google Earth to look back over the past years to see how the site went from functional to overgrown and half-buried.

Like you guys said, demolition costs money, I'm just surprised that Disney would just let something deteriorate like that without at least removing some of the remaining buildings and structures.

_Scar

Once again, you'd be surprised. I've spent a lot of time in that general vicinity and on more than one occasion, I've wandered into that dock area that you're referring to. I've actually walked past the small buildings and sat in the boats that are docked there and taken pictures from them. I've seen Lake Patrol whizzing by and not bother me or radio anyone that I was there. Nothing in the area indicates that it's off limits to guests... no signs, no fences, nothing. I always got the feeling that if I ever did encounter a CM in that area, they wouldn't really care that I was there.

This could be a huge liability then if someone ever got hurt exploring here. After all, they encourage you to travel all around the resort in the golf carts.

:eek: I predict disaster!

heartodisney

Interesting pics and post. Has there ever been a thought on some sort of museum that would house items from old places like this and more...sad..if not and what a loss of history!

xtina72

Screen captures from Google earth:

rc1y.jpg

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3873/rc1y.jpg

55575250.jpg

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/9228/55575250.jpg

Little off subject but I found out something interesting about Discovery Island that I did not know...

From the early 1900s, the island was known as Raz Island, named after the family that lived there. In the late 1930s, it was purchased for $800 by a man named Delmar "Radio Nick" Nicholson, who renamed the island "Idle Bay Isle" and lived there for 20 years with his wife and pet crane. It was later sold, renamed "Riles Island," and used as a hunting retreat. Disney bought the island in 1965 as part of its secretive property acquisitions before building Walt Disney World Resort.[1]
After its closing, Disney considered teaming up with the makers of the Myst video game to create a cutting-edge interactive experience to be called "Myst Island". Guests to the island would explore unusual locations and unravel a mystery about the island's previous inhabitants. This unusual attraction never got beyond the concept stage.[2]
The island's facilities were the home of the last known dusky seaside sparrow before it died in 1987. The species was declared extinct in 1990.
The island remains closed to the public. It can easily be seen from Disney's Contemporary Resort and from Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, as well as from boat trips between them. The island is adjacent to Disney's River Country water park, which is also closed.

Sometimes its hard to remember that Disney world was something else BEFORE it was Disney World.

Ziffell

This could be a huge liability then if someone ever got hurt exploring here. After all, they encourage you to travel all around the resort in the golf carts.

:eek: I predict disaster!

I've thought the same thing. In a way, though, I have to admit it's always been kind of cool how you can do that (go off the beaten path and explore) on Disney property. Not as much as you used to be able to, but still quite a lot of areas where you still can. I worry about that changing at some point, but at the same time I would of course feel terrible if someone ever did get hurt.

protiius

Interesting pics and post. Has there ever been a thought on some sort of museum that would house items from old places like this and more...sad..if not and what a loss of history!
i know the idea of a disney museum has been discussed on these boards in the past...particularly recently as an option to fill the gap left by pi at dtd...i would love to see something like that built...

EPCOTPluto

Very fascinating and creepy pics. Actually makes me want to go there now. :lookaroun

With all these photos circulating, what's the possibility that Disney may tighten security there?

E102_Gamma

I went to River Country when I was young, only got to go there a couple of times before it closed down. I remember doing flips into the pool when there was a diving contest, and my dad was one of the judges lol. Sadly enough, I really hate how River Country has become today, although I must say, after all these years of hurricanes, storms, and anything else mother nature has thrown at it... River Country has stood the test of time, despite having fallen post and other things.

If was the one in there, I would have pick up that employee recognition plaque and hang it outside Trail's End or somewhere outside the River Country entrance to show that River Country is still there, and those who work so hard to make that piece of magic grow be recognized.

EPCOTPluto

If was the one in there, I would have pick up that employee recognition plaque and hang it outside Trail's End or somewhere outside the River Country entrance to show that River Country is still there, and those who work so hard to make that piece of magic grow be recognized.
As much as that plaque would look great on my bedroom wall, that is a pretty good idea. A little memory for RC indeed...

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
wow, wow, wow..

I went there once as a kid...Loved it.....It was my first time in a waterpark.

Hmmm I'll tell you I'd love to know how this guy got back there and took ALL these photos undetected. Amazing really.

In terms of Disney Memorabilia..I'd love to have a couple of those signs....Hmmm..that hoop and hollar Hollow one...:lookaroun

How about they get in there and pull that place apart I'm sure if they ebay'd some of that stuff they'd make some dough for charity...
give a day get a day no...???;)

Ziffell

Hmmm I'll tell you I'd love to know how this guy got back there and took ALL these photos undetected. Amazing really.

It's pretty easy to do if you know the spot. Not that I'm saying I advise it or condone it. But I can tell you that Disney does not go out of their way to make it difficult to get in, and there are no signs saying to keep out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom