Rides at Universal

raven

You would still complain.

You are right. I guess answering a simple question to an attractions host about a ride is too much for a Universal Studios employee to handle. Perhaps they should raise their wages to compensate having to give information to their guests. Obviously it's off limits to visit the park casually without doing extensive internet research because the fan base here claims that's asking too much of their employees.

JT3000

You are right. I guess answering a simple question to an attractions host about a ride is too much for a Universal Studios employee to handle. Perhaps they should raise their wages to compensate having to give information to their guests. Obviously it's off limits to visit the park casually without doing extensive internet research because the fan base here claims that's asking too much of their employees.

Answering questions is a big part of their job, including all of the incredibly stupid questions they get asked. What isn't part of their job description is taking on guest's personal responsibilities, such as deciding whether or not a ride might give them motion sickness. That wouldn't be answering a question, it's an unreasonable expectation of hand holding.

A responsible guest would either decide to sit out if they suspect a ride is too much for them based on the information given (and believe it or not, a little research won't kill you), or they will get sick and own up to their own bad decision. Not blame the employees who aren't getting paid to make sure your tummy doesn't hurt every time you exceed your own limits.

Btw, they already make more, on average, than Disney CMs. Maybe you should consider switching out that fake badge in your avatar.

Disneyhead'71

My response was because you wouldn't like the "honest" reply you would get from the TM. If you walk up to the Host TM at Spider-man and ask, "Is this ride a simulator?". The "honest" answer would be "No". Then you would ride and be angry when you get off. But the TM was being honest. Spider-man is a dark ride.

sporadic

How is an employee to know if a guest can handle a ride or not? Does anyone not have responsibility for themselves anymore? I've had my C6-7 fused and can ride RnR and ToT all day long. For some reason, Star Tours (the "simulator") aggravates my neck the worst. Yes, I ride these against better judgement (and warnings), but that's my choice. Now... If I had never been on the ride before, had the same view of a "simulator" as portrayed above, and was more sensitive to my health issues, I could see myself being rather upset. In the end, any employee giving you a false sense of security for a ride (based off its ride system in this case), could create a huge liability. That's what the signs are for...

EDIT: Didn't mean to jump in on the derailment... Our family decided to do Universal this year and ran across this thread while doing some research :)

raven

Answering questions is a big part of their job, including all of the incredibly stupid questions they get asked. What isn't part of their job description is taking on guest's personal responsibilities, such as deciding whether or not a ride might give them motion sickness. That wouldn't be answering a question, it's an unreasonable expectation of hand holding.

A responsible guest would either decide to sit out if they suspect a ride is too much for them based on the information given (and believe it or not, a little research won't kill you), or they will get sick and own up to their own bad decision. Not blame the employees who aren't getting paid to make sure your tummy doesn't hurt every time you exceed your own limits.

Btw, they already make more, on average, than Disney CMs. Maybe you should consider switching out that fake badge in your avatar.

My avatar has been the same since I joined in 2002 but thanks for your interest.

The question that was asked to the Universal attractions hosts was "Is this a simulator ride?" Not "Will this ride give me motion sickness?" I think everyone knows what a simulator is. It's an ride vehicle that simulates movement. It's NOT that difficult of a question to answer.

Perhaps it was you that I encountered. Hence why you have an excuse why not to answer a simple question and why you have a problem with a DISNEY themed avatar.

My response was because you wouldn't like the "honest" reply you would get from the TM. If you walk up to the Host TM at Spider-man and ask, "Is this ride a simulator?". The "honest" answer would be "No". Then you would ride and be angry when you get off. But the TM was being honest. Spider-man is a dark ride.

But Spiderman's vehicles are still simulators on a track. They still "simulate" movement synced with what is displayed on a screen.

raven

How is an employee to know if a guest can handle a ride or not? Does anyone not have responsibility for themselves anymore? I've had my C6-7 fused and can ride RnR and ToT all day long. For some reason, Star Tours (the "simulator") aggravates my neck the worst. Yes, I ride these against better judgement (and warnings), but that's my choice. Now... If I had never been on the ride before, had the same view of a "simulator" as portrayed above, and was more sensitive to my health issues, I could see myself being rather upset. In the end, any employee giving you a false sense of security for a ride (based off its ride system in this case), could create a huge liability. That's what the signs are for...

EDIT: Didn't mean to jump in on the derailment... Our family decided to do Universal this year and ran across this thread while doing some research :)
We have no problem with actual rides. We can ride the biggest of coasters with no issues whatsoever. But simulators are a no-go for us. Both have the same warnings posted so that doesn't give any indication what the ride consists of (since a guest cannot see these rides from the attraction entrance). Even upon boarding the vehicle you have no indication what lies ahead (Gringots, Spiderman, Transformers). We asked a simple question that we never received and answer for. Now everyone is up in arms saying I should YouTube and research each and every attraction at a theme park BEFORE visiting. I guess they are saying that guests shouldn't be allowed t "wing" a park anymore and shouldn't enter unless they've done extensive research.

JT3000

My avatar has been the same since I joined in 2002 but thanks for your interest.

The question that was asked to the Universal attractions hosts was "Is this a simulator ride?" Not "Will this ride give me motion sickness?" I think everyone knows what a simulator is. It's an ride vehicle that simulates movement. It's NOT that difficult of a question to answer.

Perhaps it was you that I encountered. Hence why you have an excuse why not to answer a simple question and why you have a problem with a DISNEY themed avatar.

But Spiderman's vehicles are still simulators on a track. They still "simulate" movement synced with what is displayed on a screen.

I don't work at a theme park. I would probably go postal after the first week. But if it were me, and you asked that question, I would say "No" for everything but Simpsons and DM. But just like Disneyhead, I suspect you wouldn't find that answer satisfactory, even though it's the truth. Spider-Man is not a simulator.

And I'm not bothered by your avatar. It was a joke. If you want to present yourself as someone who most likely makes minimum wage (and still gets solicited for money by his of a CEO), be my guest. ;)

Last edited:

raven

I don't work at a theme park. I would probably go postal after the first week. But if it were me, and you asked that question, I would say "No" for everything but Simpsons and DM. But just like Disneyhead, I suspect you wouldn't find that answer satisfactory, even though it's the truth. Spider-Man is not a simulator.

And I'm not bothered by your avatar. It was a joke. If you want to present yourself as someone who who most likely makes minimum wage (and still gets solicited for money by his ******* of a CEO), be my guest. ;)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man is a motion-based 3D dark ride located at the Islands of Adventure, Orlando and Universal Studios Japan, Osaka theme parks. Built for Islands of Adventure's opening in 1999, the attraction is a hybrid ride combining special roving motion vehicles with 3D projection, elaborate physical sets, and both practical and tactile effects."

When you click on "motion-based" you get this:

"A motion simulator or motion platform is a mechanism that encapsulates occupants and creates the effect/feelings of being in a moving vehicle. A motion simulator can also be called a motion base, motion chassis or a motion seat.[1] The movement is synchronous with visual display and is designed to add a tactile element to video gaming, simulation, and virtual reality."

Even if Universal doesn't actually call it a simulator, it isn't difficult to understand the question we asked. No need to ask "Does this ride vehicle go bumpy bumpy?

BTW, I don't work for Disney either.

Disneyhead'71

So does the Hogwarts Express. It's not a simulator.

JT3000

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man is a motion-based 3D dark ride located at the Islands of Adventure, Orlando and Universal Studios Japan, Osaka theme parks. Built for Islands of Adventure's opening in 1999, the attraction is a hybrid ride combining special roving motion vehicles with 3D projection, elaborate physical sets, and both practical and tactile effects."

When you click on "motion-based" you get this:

"A motion simulator or motion platform is a mechanism that encapsulates occupants and creates the effect/feelings of being in a moving vehicle. A motion simulator can also be called a motion base, motion chassis or a motion seat.[1] The movement is synchronous with visual display and is designed to add a tactile element to video gaming, simulation, and virtual reality."

Even if Universal doesn't actually call it a simulator, it isn't difficult to understand the question we asked. No need to ask "Does this ride vehicle go bumpy bumpy?

BTW, I don't work for Disney either.

Sorry, but I don't get my definitions of theme park rides from Wikipedia. I already know how to define these things myself. It's a dark ride that utilizes a motion base, not a simulator, which is a very specific type of ride, ie Star Tours.

raven

n
Sorry, but I don't get my definitions of theme park rides from Wikipedia. I already know how to define these things myself. It's a dark ride that utilizes a motion base, not a simulator, which is a very specific type of ride, ie Star Tours.
"Motion-Base" vs. "Simulator" is like "Car" vs. "Sadan"

Disneyhead'71

Check your eyes. That's not a description, that was an award.They could give The Incredible Hulk an award for "Best Kiddie Ride" but that doesn't make it one.
The first sentence of the description says it's a Motion Based Dark Ride. It is more closely related to Indiana Jones and Dinosaur than to Star Tours.

raven

Ok I'll give you that. We have no issues with dark rides though. But it's still a simulator/Motion Based/Motion Platform/Bumpy Bumpy or whatever you want to call it, ride.

Eckert

As someone who works at probably the most difficult ride on Universal property to describe to guests, I'm going to have to speak up about your generalization of the allegedly unhelpful attitude of Universal employees...

First things first, I love my job. I take pride in making sure the guests that come through each day are informed, safe, and comfortable experiencing my attraction or any other ride in the park. If a guest were to come up to me and ask 'Is this a simulator?', I would effortlessly and unabashedly tell them yes; it's the easiest way to describe this ride. When you've got thousands of people coming up to you asking the same handful of questions on a daily basis you learn to make your descriptions short and sweet. It's the easiest thing to compare it to, considering that most of our audience has only been to Disney before and this is their first time here. Do you know how hard it is to compare this ride, let alone any Universal e-ticket to a Disney ride? There's just so much more going on in these rides. You have no idea how many families I've seen walk in to our ride with the impression that it's going to be like Soarin' based on the information that I gave them. I'll call it a simulator, and I know for certain that the 100+ people that are trained at this attraction also call it a simulator when describing it to our guests.

I'm sorry that whatever answer you were given did not satisfy you. I can assure you that if you came to my team with a set of questions, we would take the time to answer them all until you were ready to ride (or not). But I have to say that one or two people are not representative of an entire group of people. It's common human decency to not assume such a thing.

And if you think this only happens at Universal, think again. As someone with an eye for guest service, there have been dozens of instances where I've observed workers at Disney with the same title that I carry at Universal leaving much to be desired...these people exist everywhere, and they probably work at both parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom