RIDEMAKERZ to close in its currently location on April 30 2011

Not that I want DD/WS/PI to turn into my local town center/shopping mall...

But this location would make one KICKA$$ Apple Store...with extensive renovations, obviously...

Buried20KLeague

From what I understood, from my conversations with a store manager back in November (that I posted here on the boards), Ridemakerz is moving to Hyperion Wharf and the Virgin Store is being carved into multiple stores (like a mini-mall).

I don't know if things have changed due to the economy, and that they have decided to close rather than relocate, but he seemed to indicate that it was a done deal that they were moving to the old PI section. From the way he talked, it didn't seem to be a question of if, it seemed to be a question of when.

I hope it doesn't close. Whether you like it or not, it's a really unique offering and the type of thing DTD needs more of.

I could see this being plausible if Hyperion was anywhere close to finished. As far away as it is, it seems more likely that they simply weren't making more than they were spending.

Another casualty of the whole PI/West Side fiasco. :shrug:

I never really understood it anyway. It just didn't seem like building a big car that had to be somehow carried home would be that big a draw. Plus, they weren't cheap.

WDW-Fan4Life

I bet the market size for these type of items is pretty small in comparison to most other Walt Disney items for sale in WDW. I think the idea is very cool but it was, IMO, not executed right no matter how many "pop-up" store blah blah blah awards won. Why not sell mini cars, 3-5", in the 12-25 buck range. Think volume not a sizable price point. The store also needs to be much smaller, picture a wall of match box size r/c cars on display and only some minor custom options (wheels, decals etc to keep the price down). Why not also have mini motorcycles and a mini boat section too. Have some decals and wheels as limited edition, special artists or a create your own option. Anyway, if they were red hot they would not be moving out.

What's next for the empty building? A restaurant or maybe just maybe the new Adventurers Club (one can wish right).:drevil:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I bet the market size for these type of items is pretty small in comparison to most other Walt Disney items for sale in WDW. I think the idea is very cool but it was, IMO, not executed right no matter how many "pop-up" store blah blah blah awards won. Why not sell mini cars, 3-5", in the 12-25 buck range. Think volume not a sizable price point. The store also needs to be much smaller, picture a wall of match box size r/c cars on display and only some minor custom options (wheels, decals etc to keep the price down). Why not also have mini motorcycles and a mini boat section too. Have some decals and wheels as limited edition, special artists or a create your own option. Anyway, if they were red hot they would not be moving out.

What's next for the empty building? A restaurant or maybe just maybe the new Adventurers Club (one can wish right).:drevil:
A non R/C car could be made here for as little as $29. An R/C car could be done for as little as $54. Sure you could get nuts and trick one out to the tone of nearly $200 but there were plenty of options for under $60.

menamechris

I wouldn't think this would exactly bode well with the planning of Hyperion Wharf. Building more storefronts while others remain empty. Businesses don't exactly seem to be stampeding to DTD...

WDW-Fan4Life

"A non R/C car could be made here for as little as $29. An R/C car could be done for as little as $54. Sure you could get nuts and trick one out to the tone of nearly $200 but there were plenty of options for under $60."

Price point of 60 bucks is high. a non R/C for 29 does not seem like a deal. I have both Iscreamer and Paddy O'Concrete monster trucks (CARS) which are not custom but both very cool and under 29 bucks. Think about it, a person could go to Target and get a mini R/C for under 25 bucks (I have two, mario and luigi and they came with options). Add in the Disney impulse buy and maybe 30 bucks would swing the volume way up. 200 dollar R/C cars is at a whole different level and an even smaller market. I think the concept execution needs to be revised for this type of store to work anywhere.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Price point of 60 bucks is high. a non R/C for 29 does not seem like a deal. I have both Iscreamer and Paddy O'Concrete monster trucks (CARS) which are not custom but both very cool and under 29 bucks. Think about it, a person could go to Target and get a mini R/C for under 25 bucks (I have two, mario and luigi and they came with options). Add in the Disney impulse buy and maybe 30 bucks would swing the volume way up. 200 dollar R/C cars is at a whole different level and an even smaller market. I think the concept execution needs to be revised for this type of store to work anywhere.
Pricing was actually inline with the Build a Dino workshop at T-Rex. The point is that there are several other toys of a similar ilk in WDW that do just fine. Also $200 was an extreme upper end number that you would almost have to try and hit. The average kid could have easially come out of Ridemakerz with a very cool R/C car that he/she customized and built for $75 +/-.

WDW-Fan4Life

The concept execution issues are not just with Custom high priced cars (IMO), it is the store setup, size and marketing. If it Rocked it would not be moving. Customers know best.

The Disney Store in NYC Times Sq has a Build a custom car section. I have seen many builders and very few buyers on my many visits there. The idea is very very cool but the prices are just too tough to pull the trigger on.

jt04

Wow, this is really starting to happen quickly now. All parts of DTD are being reconfigured as the plan unfolds with increasing momentum.

Gonna be so cool. :)

Mouse Detective

Wow, this is really starting to happen quickly now. All parts of DTD are being reconfigured as the plan unfolds with increasing momentum.

No it's not. We are just a few weeks away from it being 2-1/2 years since the clubs were closed and absolutely nothing has replaced a single comedy or dance club in all that time. Not a thing! And not one new shop or restaurant has been announced either. Not one! This whole demolition is an act of desperation. Why heads haven't rolled over this is beyond me.

According to their facebook page in concerns of the April 30th date in DTD "That date is for the current pop-up store. We will still have a SHOP there!".
And on a personal note, I think the idea of the store in Disney is great. There is something finally for little boys to do that doesn't involove dress up and pirates. Is the price high? Yes, but no more so than what I would shell out for my little girl to dress up and have her hair/make up done at BBB. I can't wait to go to Ridemakerz with my 7 year old son.

WDWFREAK53

How fast do these RC cars go? Are they "toys" or do they have options for the hardcore?

I ran into a local hobby shop around here last weekend and was amazed at the technology, options, and shear awesomeness of it all.

Imagine a large hobby shop in DTD where you could purchase the following:
1. RC Cars and Trucks (Electric and Nitro) that are fully customizable.
2. RC Copters
3. RC Disney-themed ride vehicles.
4. Slot car tracks with Disney ride buildings that interact with the track, Character vehicles, and customizable cars.
5. Train sets (HO scale) with Disney ride buildings, attractions so you can build your own parks.

In the shop and around the shop, they could have a slot car track set up to test-drive your creations and race your fellow designers, an outdoor dirt track to race your buggies and trucks, and an outdoor optical course for helicopters (Different rings set up, bars, etc.) Also, indoors they could have a carpeted track to race your RC cars.

Special events could go on down there to host RC/Slot car races...or you could rent out the track to challenge just your group.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How fast do these RC cars go? Are they "toys" or do they have options for the hardcore?

I ran into a local hobby shop around here last weekend and was amazed at the technology, options, and shear awesomeness of it all.

Imagine a large hobby shop in DTD where you could purchase the following:
1. RC Cars and Trucks (Electric and Nitro) that are fully customizable.
2. RC Copters
3. RC Disney-themed ride vehicles.
4. Slot car tracks with Disney ride buildings that interact with the track, Character vehicles, and customizable cars.
5. Train sets (HO scale) with Disney ride buildings, attractions so you can build your own parks.

In the shop and around the shop, they could have a slot car track set up to test-drive your creations and race your fellow designers, an outdoor dirt track to race your buggies and trucks, and an outdoor optical course for helicopters (Different rings set up, bars, etc.) Also, indoors they could have a carpeted track to race your RC cars.

Special events could go on down there to host RC/Slot car races...or you could rent out the track to challenge just your group.
They are toys but they are a great gateway drug to the addiction known as R/C modeling. Your average pre-teen kid will have a blast with them but they are far from the high performance machines that you can build at a local hobby store. The options are for the most part purely aesthetic.

Phonedave

They are toys but they are a great gateway drug to the addiction known as R/C modeling. Your average pre-teen kid will have a blast with them but they are far from the high performance machines that you can build at a local hobby store. The options are for the most part purely aesthetic.

My ex-father-in-law-once-removed (how's that) was into the RC Electric Dragsters (as you mentioned you are)

He used to order battery packs by the 100's. He would go through them with a meter, putting them under loads. Even though they were all approved battery packs for racing, they have variation in them, and some would have more 'juice' than others. Those are the ones he would use for competition. (the others he would sell)

-dave

scpergj

Definitely true!

My son and I both have Associated RC18t's (mine is the Team version), as well as Team Losi Micro LST's. (yeah, we race each other around the house). I also have an e-flight mCx helicopter, which is a hobby grade indoor copter (just a tad larger than one of the airhogs heli's, but with four channel contral and two gyros).

Definitely a gateway drug...

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Time to breakout the "I'm celebrating another empty building at DTD" buttons :ROFLOL::ROFLOL:
Now we just need some streetmosphere hobos on the benches to make it just like a real downtown!

flavious27

Time to breakout the "I'm celebrating another empty building at DTD" buttons :ROFLOL::ROFLOL:
Now we just need some streetmosphere hobos on the benches to make it just like a real downtown!

NW003720.jpg

No, this. And it fits in with dtd's push for more third party vendors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom