Ride Incident at Disneyland?

Testtrack321

Just to keep in your minds, Intamin did Screamin' (what's with DCA and removing the "g" from these rides? Soarin', Screamin'....) and Intamin also had to redo restraints for other rides due to people falling out.

MCBRIZZ5

Testtrack321 said:
Just to keep in your minds, Intamin did Screamin' (what's with DCA and removing the "g" from these rides? Soarin', Screamin'....) and Intamin also had to redo restraints for other rides due to people falling out.
Intamin is having a horrible year with now two of its rides having trouble (that I know of might be more), Kingda Ka and now this.

MagliteL13

wdwishes2005 said:
o.k. dumb question, according to the rollercoaster database http://www.rcdb.com/qs.htm?quicksearch=california+screamin' there are 24 riders per train, if two trains collided, and did not hit anyone on the ground or in the station, how can there be 60 injuries? last time i checked, 24+24= 48. btw i look forward to riding this the next time i go to disneyland, ive never been on it before.

One of the reports said one of the trains was being loaded--so possibly another 24 people. So if everyone was in the vicinity--72 people. Something's still fishy though.

xfkirsten

Quite honestly, this incident doesn't really surprise me. In its nearly five years in operation, Screamin' has had very little refurbishment time. And considering the resort's safety record over the past few years, I'm not surprised that a problem like this has slipped by them. Mind you, I'm not condoning their negligence by any stretch of the imagination.

That being said, if they were to reopen it tomorrow (which, obviously, they won't) I would be first in line to ride. Then again, my sense of self-preservation has come into question before. :lol:

wannab@dis

xfkirsten said:
Quite honestly, this incident doesn't really surprise me. In its nearly five years in operation, Screamin' has had very little refurbishment time. And considering the resort's safety record over the past few years, I'm not surprised that a problem like this has slipped by them. Mind you, I'm not condoning their negligence by any stretch of the imagination.

wow... jumping to early conclusions aren't you? looks like you're trying to write tomorrow's headlines.

nelsonj3

I'm just glad that it sounds like all injuries are minor. I have always wondered about an accident like that when I have been on any number of roller coasters. Think about a coaster like RnRC... I know there's a lot of straight, flat track before the unload area, but still, if the braking system in the first tunnel near the end failed, it would also be a fairly hefty collision.

I know that Disney will investigate this fully, and hopefully take any appropriate measures to ensure that the ride is once again safe.

xfkirsten

wannab@dis said:
wow... jumping to early conclusions aren't you? looks like you're trying to write tomorrow's headlines.

Call it a hunch. I mean, this reeks of the Big Thunder accident form last year. And being a Disneyland park regular, I KNOW that Screamin hasn't spent much time under refurbishment. As for the park's safety record... when you've had four roller coaster crashes/collisions in less than two years, that should send up a warning flag at any theme park.

rainfully

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, Cali Screamin' was shut down for about two hours in the middle of the day. I wonder what the problem was then, and if it had anything to do with what just happened.

speck76

By Rong-Gong Lin II and Lomi Kriel | Times Staff Writer
Posted July 30, 2005, 12:51 AM EDT

Fifteen people suffered minor injuries Friday evening when a roller coaster train rear-ended second train that was stopped on the tracks at Disney's California Adventure, marking the first significant accident at the Anaheim theme park.

The crash occurred around 6:39 p.m. on the California Screamin' ride, a popular roller coaster designed to propel riders through a silhouette of Mickey Mouse's head. The trains, each carrying 24 passengers, were about to reach the end of the ride, at a point when both vehicles were supposed to stop.

The train in the front completed the stop as scheduled, but the train in rear continued going, hitting the first vehicle, said John Nicoletti, a spokesman for the city of Anaheim. Officials said they don't know why the second train malfunctioned, but investigators from the state officials were at the park investigating.

Nicoletti said the impact of the crash appeared to be minor. None of the 15 people taken to hospital - 13 adults and two minors - appeared to have serious injuries, he said.

"There was not a great amount of damage to the cars. It was like a fender bender," he said. "It does not appear that the ride was going very fast."

About 100 firefighters from Anaheim and surrounding cities descended on the theme park, along with 18 ambulances. Most of the passengers were about get out of their trains and walk to safety on their own using the roller coaster's catwalk. Eights passengers were situated on a higher point on the ride, with their car leaning at a 45 degree angle, and could not access the catwalks. So firefighters helped them descend the 15 feet to the ground using ladders.

Some of the riders complained of neck and back pain, said Michael Simpson, dispatcher for Metronet, which covers the Anaheim Fire Department. Firefighters could be seen placing neck braces on some riders.

California Adventure is located across from Disneyland, which has seen several high-profile accidents over the last few years.

Copyright © 2005, The Los Angeles Times

xfkirsten

rainfully said:
When I was there a couple of weeks ago, Cali Screamin' was shut down for about two hours in the middle of the day. I wonder what the problem was then, and if it had anything to do with what just happened.

That's actually pretty common for Screamin'. It's one of those that goes 101 on a regular basis, although not as much as rides like Matterhorn or Indy (in my experience).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom