Ride Incident at Disneyland?

MartyMouse

PhilosophyMagic said:
Not only that, but it'd DISGRACEFUL that the public will now see the amusement-park-like Paradise Pier spoken of as "Disneyland." It just looks so awful to think that the company that created Epcot looks like a Six Flags company...

Oops, sorry, I'm obsessed over that issue...

Dude, I’ve been to Six Flags and Disney’s California Adventure and they are nothing alike. The Paradise Pear area of DCA is a well themed area, all the rides and attractions fit the theme perfectly, and it’s very Disney’s Boardwalk-ish.

I don’t think this thread is the place to vent about DCA and Eisner. I think this is an awful thing that has happened and I feel bad for the poor people who were hurt (however I have no doubt that Disney will compensate the families).

Madison

It was a sudden stop, that's for sure -- but the train seems to be entirely intact and that's a really, really good thing.

Okay, just got through with the news coverage. Upon viewing the video feed from California, you can certainly see that the train is still very much ON the track.

The picture on the NBC site seems a bit shadowed and blurry, but the video clearly shows rescue workers attending to people still strapped in their seats aboard the coaster trains. No more details are known at this time, but you know the press is gonna suck the life right out of this one.

Iakona

tj229er said:
WFTV (Orlando ABC affiliate) just reported on it they said that details are sketchy but reports seem to show that two trains colided on near the loading station.

My son and I were just on it on July 23rd so this is kind of close for me. There is an update at the OCRegister

Friday, July 29, 2005

<!--/UdmComment-->About 36 people injured on California Adventure ride
Two cars on the California Screamin' roller coaster collided; injuries are described as minor.

The Orange County Register

About 36 people suffered minor injuries tonight on the California Screamin' ride at Disney's California Adventure Park.

The accident occurred when two cars collided on the park's giant steel roller coaster, a featured attraction that catapults riders from 0 to 55 mph in less than 5 seconds, and has over a mile of track and a 108-foot drop.

One car returned to the loading platform and other is reported to be stuck somewhere on the ride.

coasterphil

I'm guessing that this is similar to an accident that occured on Superman: Ride of Steel back in 2001.

"(Monday, August 6, 2001) - At Six Flags New England theme park in Agawam, Massachusetts, twenty-two people were injured after two roller coaster trains collided on the park's Superman Ride of Steel roller coaster. The accident happened in the loading station as one train was preparing to be dispatched and the other was returning to unload passengers. Reports indicate that the second train failed to stop and struck the stationary train at about 20 miles per hour. Both trains sustained damage in the crash.

Twenty-two passengers were taken to local hospitals, all with minor neck, back and facial injuries. In addition, two or three riders were knocked unconscious in the crash.

The ride has been shut down pending an investigation by state and local authorities. Park officials and representatives from the ride's manufacturer, Intamin AG of Switzerland, are also investigating."

That was a news report from that accident. I believe they found something wrong with the magnetic braking system.

ImagineAtl23

This isnt the 1st

This isnt the first time something like this has happened, a few years ago big thunder mountain in disneyland derailed and killed 3 people.

peter11435

The_CEO said:
Obviously you don't, blaming " terrorists" for a ride malfunction.
He was not blaming the terrorists just showing that at this point saying it was Eisner's fault was jumping to conclusions. I am certain that all he meant was that for all we know it could have been any number of other things.

wdwishes2005

peter11435 said:
He was not blaming the terrorists just showing that at this point saying it was Eisner's fault was jumping to conclusions. I am certain that all he meant was that for all we know it could have been any number of other things.
bingo!

peter11435

malcolm347 said:
This isnt the first time something like this has happened, a few years ago big thunder mountain in disneyland derailed and killed 3 people.
Your a little late. Everyone here knew that years ago, and it has already been mentioned in this thread.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
M:SpilotISTC12 said:
Eisner's finacial cut backs strike again. I hope that everything is ok.

OMFG. You should be banned for blaming Eisner when you don't even know what the situation is.

I hope one day you get to run a company. Not a big one like Disney, but any company so you can see how it all works.

The_CEO

I can say now though, I am a true believer that no theme park, not even disney, keeps their rides up to 100% safety.. OBVIOUSLY.. Or this wouldn't of happened.

TP2000

malcolm347 said:

It was September, 2003 and one person was killed. Not three.

Local Los Angeles newsradio is reporting that in this California Screamin' accident 16 people have been taken to local hospitals complaining of back and neck pain. None of the injuries are "serious" according to local news.

It sure looked bad though.

And for those who haven't been on California Screamin', the trains location is almost at the very end of the ride as the trains turn the last corner at a fairly low rate of speed before going into the station. These trains weren't going very fast, which probably prevented more serious injuries.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom