Ride Incident at Disneyland?

ogryn

This certainly got me out of bed.... the BBC News ticker read:
"Disney Crash | 14 people injured when rollercoaster collides in California"

Testtrack321 said:
Just to keep in your minds, Intamin did Screamin' (what's with DCA and removing the "g" from these rides? Soarin', Screamin'....) and Intamin also had to redo restraints for other rides due to people falling out.

Wasn't the woman on the Knott's Berry Farm ride too fat for the restraints, and should have been turned away by the park?

In fact a lot of Intamin restraint modifications have come from people not using common sense. Shall we not raise our eyebrows, and blame Intamin until the report comes out?

coasterphil

Iakona said:
1. Sorry, let me clarify I was specifically referring to MS and TOT at WDW. These were not, at his point, determined to be ride malfunctions.

2. No, it's not silly. While both companies may do their "best" I and many others have read of other malfunctions at 6 Flags NE. They may have only made the local news because of no injuries, but there have been other incidents at this park. If the rider took his seatbelt off that is one issue, if he was TOO large for the seatbelt, then why was he on the ride? My son was checked for hieght everytime he rode CA Screamin. He legitimately made the height. I was suprised because he was too short for RNC in early June. However, he must have had a growth spurt because different CMs checked his height each time so it was not a matter of a lenient CM.
I will base my families safety on my information; regardles of whether or not I am accused of being silly.

3. As I said, I would defer to those that ride CA Screamin regularly, but even at 20MPH a collision would result in the injuries they are talking about.

2. Disney has had more problems this year than Six Flags has, so its hard to argue your point.

3.No, the SNFE incident took place at 20mph. Not the high speed you had mentioned in the first post.

Overall I'd imagine that we might see Intamin rides across the country go down within the next few days to make sure their brakes are operating properly.

peter11435

coasterphil said:
2. Disney has had more problems this year than Six Flags has, so its hard to argue your point.

3.No, the SNFE incident took place at 20mph. Not the high speed you had mentioned in the first post.

Overall I'd imagine that we might see Intamin rides across the country go down within the next few days to make sure their brakes are operating properly.
This is Disney's only problem this year. NO matter how you try to spin it. Every other incident was the fault of the rider. Disney, their rides and their mainatance were not responsible for ANY of the other incidents. Also I bet we could find more incidents at SF if we wanted too. They are just not as well known because frankly nobody cares.

soin2disney

I heard it too...

What I heard was one hit another, but one of them was parked and not working. In other words, one was not in use on a different track, and the one in use hit it.... Boy that sounds confusing huh????? (Fox-Boston)

pbc

soin2disney said:
What I heard was one hit another, but one of them was parked and not working. In other words, one was not in use on a different track, and the one in use hit it.... Boy that sounds confusing huh????? (Fox-Boston)
I'm pretty sure that's impossible unless one of the trains were to derail.

peter11435

soin2disney said:
You heard wrong. Obviously Fox (like usual) reported the wrong information. Both trains were in use, on the same track, and both had passengers.

disnyfan89

Here is the article from AOL

Disney Roller Coaster Collision Leaves 15 Injured

ANAHEIM, Calif. (July 30) - A crash on the "California Screamin"' roller coaster at Disney's California Adventure theme park sent 15 people to the hospital with minor injuries, authorities said.

Another 33 people were examined at the scene but did not require treatment after Friday night's accident in which one coaster rear-ended another toward the end of the ride, said Anaheim city spokesman John Nicoletti.

The ride was closed after the 6:39 p.m. accident but the rest of the park remained open. The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health was contacted to help determine the cause of the crash.

The Disneyland Resort issued a statement saying a moving train struck a stationary train on the attraction but neither derailed.

"The safety and security of our guests is our highest priority. We are taking all necessary steps to help those affected by this incident," the statement said.

Nicoletti said the trains, carrying 24 people each, hit at an apparently low speed. The crash happened near the end of the ride, on a horizontal stretch of the attraction and not one of its steep drops where cars reach a speed of 55 mph.

"It looked like a fender-bender," Nicoletti said during a news conference.

Eight people had to be helped off the ride by emergency personnel and the rest were able to use a catwalk to exit on their own.

Fifteen people were taken to a hospital, including two children whose ages were not immediately released. There was no immediate word on their conditions but Nicoletti said most had minor neck or back injuries.

Kevin Bromagen and his 6-year-old daughter, Taylor, said they had headaches and stiff necks after the roller coaster they were riding in was struck.

"You could hear the coaster coming before it hit you," said Bromagen, 38, of Lincoln, Neb. "The car came and smacked me in the back at full speed."

Disney's California Adventure, which opened in 2001, was designed to turn Disneyland into a resort destination, much like Disney theme parks in Florida, Paris and Tokyo. The adjacent Disneyland park is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.

Disney spent $1.4 billion to build California Adventure, an adjacent hotel and a retail strip filled with restaurants and shops. California Adventure's main attractions include "Soarin' Over California," where people are lifted 40 feet in the air to give the sensation of hang-gliding, and "California Screamin', which hits a speed of 55 mph in about 4 seconds.

Friday's crash was the second accident in four months at a Disneyland Resort park in Anaheim.

In March, a 4-year-old boy broke a finger and severed the tip of his thumb while on the Storybook Land Canal Boats ride at Disneyland, forcing the ride to close for nearly two days while state authorities investigated the accident.

The accident occurred when the child's fingers were pinched between the boat and the dock while passengers were unloading.

Four people were hurt in December when a float at a Disneyland parade struck them. One of the four was treated at a hospital.

In 2003, a 22-year-old man was killed and 10 people were injured when Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster derailed. The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health concluded the accident that killed Marcelo Torres, 22, of Gardena was the result of mechanical failure caused by improper maintenance.

Another fatality occurred at Disneyland in 1998 when a cleat used to dock the sailing ship Columbia ripped loose and struck a 33-year-old man.

07/30/05 03:31 EDT

Iakona

coasterphil said:

2. As I originally said, the information currently available does not lead me to conclude that the incidents at WDW were ride malfunctions. Also, the boy who broke his finger in Disneyland seems more of a case of inattentive parents than a ride malfunction. How many times are parents asked during rides to watch young children and make sure hands stay inside the vehicle?

I also do not follow the Six Flags Company at all, so I am only familiar with SFNE and that is only from local reports. So far, this is the first season i can remember that they have not been in the headlines locally for an accident. However doing a little research reveals that the restraint system for ALL of the Superman Roller Coasters were replaced last year. They will have to prove to me they are safe, sorry if you disagree.

3. I assume you mean 6 Flags NE? Please read my posts and responses, I have never commented on the speed of any acccidents at SFNE. I have also said that I would dfere to regular riders of CA Screamin in regards to the speed you come into that point of the track at, but even a collision at the 20MPH YOU cite that is still speed enough to cause the injuries (thankfully for the riders not too serious) mentioned.

MY general feeling is that Disney will resolve this properly. If I feel that they gloss this over then I will re-evalute my opinion. I am not blinded by Disney loyalty, but I also refuse to panick because of this one incident.

They do need to take serious steps to resolve this. It is likely that the earliest I would visit DCA again would be a year or 2 from now so I have plenty of time to evaluate their response. IF SFNE continues to have a good record then I would consider them again, but they have to go more than 1 season.

peter11435

disnyfan89 said:
no it is a maintenance proble because no one from maintenance fixed it and just opened the ride.
Wrong. Maintenance has absolutly nothing to do with the programing of a ride system and its software. That would be the work of WDI and the coasters manufacturer Intamin. Thus blaming this incident on maintenance would be way off base.

Madison

Intamin and Bolliger and Mabillard's ride systems are usually controlled by systems from Consign AG, I believe.

That said, the CM in the post linked above has no access to knowledge about what repairs or changes were made to the ride, if any, during the test and adjust phase.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some manual override took place somewhere, causing this accident. I have trouble believing that the ride would have functioned normally for four years before the circumstances were right for a programming deficiency to appear.

peter11435

Madison said:
I'd wouldn't be surprised to learn that some manual override took place somewhere, causing this accident. I have trouble believing that the ride would have functioned normally for four years before the circumstances were right for a programming deficiency to appear.

Thats a very good point. What are the chances that a programming error would pop up during testing and then never show up again for over four years.

xfkirsten

Even if it were a programming error, if it happened during testing, that would be cause to look into the programming and fix the problem. If they did not do so, then I would also consider that negligence - just on the programming end, not the mechanical.

peter11435

xfkirsten said:
Even if it were a programming error, if it happened during testing, that would be cause to look into the programming and fix the problem. If they did not do so, then I would also consider that negligence - just on the programming end, not the mechanical.

Exactly. However as I stated in my above post. It would be nearly impossible to have a problem in Testing, and then that problem never show up again for 4 and a half years. Most likely this was not exactly the same problem. And I would be willing to bet that the problem in testing was taken care of and they made the corrections in the software. There is no way that CM in the linked post or anyone else could say for sure that they did not.

My above post was simply trying to explain that, as it appears this was not a maintenance issue. And thus it is not right to start blaming their maintenance.

Madison

Quite right. Whoever programmed the PLC, whether it was Consign or WDI, would have no need to tell a Cast Member what changes they made. The CM, as much as they wish they were an expert, really has no expertise in the operation or design of an attraction beyond knowing that the little green button makes the ride go and the big red one makes it stop.

That's all they need to know, of course, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. It is silly, however, for anyone to consider a CM who worked on the ride at any time to be a definitive source of information about its operation.

xfkirsten

Madison said:
Quite right. Whoever programmed the PLC, whether it was Consign or WDI, would have no need to tell a Cast Member what changes they made. The CM, as much as they wish they were an expert, really has no expertise in the operation or design of an attraction beyond knowing that the little green button makes the ride go and the big red one makes it stop.

That's all they need to know, of course, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. It is silly, however, for anyone to consider a CM who worked on the ride at any time to be a definitive source of information about its operation.

Right, I agree. And I'm not placing the blame on the attractions CM at all. As for the information coming from a CM, obviously they aren't a definitive source. However, they did experience the same symptoms in the past, which is why I posted the link. It just illustrates that this is not the first time this has happened.

Madison

xfkirsten said:
Right, I agree. And I'm not placing the blame on the attractions CM at all. As for the information coming from a CM, obviously they aren't a definitive source. However, they did experience the same symptoms in the past, which is why I posted the link. It just illustrates that this is not the first time this has happened.

I didn't mean to make it sound like you're the one being silly -- you're not. But the content of the link you posted is troubling because I don't believe that most people understand that the CM is not a definitive source -- or even if the CM understands they're not a definitive source. Just as in the real world, people in communities that are based in the internet often find celebrity more desirable than credibility -- individually or as groups.

The CM simply doesn't know that what they experienced four years ago is in any way similar to the accident this weekend. Superficially, the events seem similar and, y'know, I think people would feel more comfortable knowing this was a known possibility that someone was too lazy to prevent than knowing that it was completely unforeseen. It's easier for us to blame a person and externalize our fear than it is to accept that the world, Disney included, is not perfect and sometimes accidents happen for some pretty bizarre, unimaginable reasons. But, in the end, the CM's story can't even serve to illustrate that 'this' has happened before because nobody knows what 'this' is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom