Rich/poor class division in Disney

AmUK

Original Poster
One of Walt's original ideologies behind Disney, was making a world not only for fun and joyment, but where it would not matter what colour, creed, demographic, disability, wealth class - everyone would be treated equally.

Now i'm noticing a rather new phenomenon slowly creeping into Disney - that is the wealth divide. I was at Epcot, looking for a view for the night time fireworks, and was told rather abruptly i wasn't allowed to go into a certain area that was always open to public as it was reserved paying guests. Okay so i see the sights of people dressed up the max in suits and dressing sipping on champagne watching the fireworks. Okay, so i move around and look for other viewing spots and saw people on boats, with champagne, first class views. It was slightly disturbing.

Of to Magic Kingdom, and once again i noticed they were building a seating area right at the front of the castle, for paying guests who wanted to reserve premium views, with champagne and meals, waiter service, not even hidden rite infront of the general public. I thought this was utterly disgusting, it's basically thrashing wealth into your face. The wealth gap is obvious, you can't escape it - it's not what Disney is about.

Then over at Animal Kingdom whilst looking at the new Night time show, i was asking a cast member how there doesn't seem to be much seating area. He told me the seating area would be reserved for those who pay for it, and that the general public would have a standing area. Now i can't confirm the truth in this, but it won't be much of a suprise if this is the case, as like i said the seating area does seem very small.

I don't care about other parks, i'm looking at Disney. Anyone else feel uncomfortable about this new phenomenon ? Corporate suits ruling over Disney again and ruining the experience ever so slightly.

What next? Premium boats on Jungle cruise with meals (ahem).

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
One of Walt's original ideologies behind Disney, was making a world not only for fun and joyment, but where it would not matter what colour, creed, demographic, disability, wealth class - everyone would be treated equally.

Now i'm noticing a rather new phenomenon slowly creeping into Disney - that is the wealth divide. I was at Epcot, looking for a view for the night time fireworks, and was told rather abruptly i wasn't allowed to go into a certain area that was always open to public as it was reserved paying guests. Okay so i see the sights of people dressed up the max in suits and dressing sipping on champagne watching the fireworks. Okay, so i move around and look for other viewing spots and saw people on boats, with champagne, first class views. It was slightly disturbing.

Of to Magic Kingdom, and once again i noticed they were building a seating area right at the front of the castle, for paying guests who wanted to reserve premium views, with champagne and meals, waiter service, not even hidden rite infront of the general public. I thought this was utterly disgusting, it's basically thrashing wealth into your face. The wealth gap is obvious, you can't escape it - it's not what Disney is about.

Then over at Animal Kingdom whilst looking at the new Night time show, i was asking a cast member how there doesn't seem to be much seating area. He told me the seating area would be reserved for those who pay for it, and that the general public would have a standing area. Now i can't confirm the truth in this, but it won't be much of a suprise if this is the case, as like i said the seating area does seem very small.

I don't care about other parks, i'm looking at Disney. Anyone else feel uncomfortable about this new phenomenon ? Corporate suits ruling over Disney again and ruining the experience ever so slightly.

What next? Premium boats on Jungle cruise with meals (ahem).

I've been one of those dressed to the 9s in an area reserved only for our party during Illuminations. It was for a wedding. Nice waterside view with free booze and food to munch on while we watched the show (with Peace on Earth tag too). You should see what went on in the American Adventure rotunda around 1am...
I did make sure to look down my nose upon all of the non-wedding guests outside of our little gated off area and ask the cast members if we could throw things at them. To my surprise, they said we couldn't. What kind of a world is this when people obviously better than everyone else can't entertain themselves by throwing things at the rabble?

Cmdr_Crimson

disney-greed.jpg

Ahh, This is just Disney World's attempt on having a mini Club 33 for those who do what the Mouse tells them and rack up the incentive.. Good for you for paying rediculous amount of money to eat a piece of cake for $50 and find out they cancelled the Fireworks due to "Technical Difficulties" 5 minutes before the show! #Unforgettablehappenshere.

I've been one of those dressed to the 9s in an area reserved only for our party during Illuminations. It was for a wedding. Nice waterside view with free booze and food to munch on while we watched the show (with Peace on Earth tag too). You should see what went on in the American Adventure rotunda around 1am...
I did make sure to look down my nose upon all of the non-wedding guests outside of our little gated off area and ask the cast members if we could throw things at them. To my surprise, they said we couldn't. What kind of a world is this when people obviously better than everyone else can't entertain themselves by throwing things at the rabble?
Ugh I feel your pain, I was invited to a wedding at Epcot a while back and I asked if we could kick out all those unsightly people who were ruining our views of the park and the show. When they said we couldn't, at that moment I felt like going bridezilla on them and it wasn't even my wedding!

How dare a close friend of mine had to share our viewing of IllumiNations on her special day with people who were obviously beneath us!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You use to be able to do that, but they had to stop. People would end up throwing food which just attracted more peasants.

wendysue

Unfortunately, this stupid practice has been increasing each year. It's not enough that we pay over the top prices just to walk through the gate, but now have to pay for everything else. Like us, you can choose to not participate. Our last trip in October was just that.....our last trip. I still enjoy checking out this site and seeing what everyone is doing, and the new attractions that are being built, but have no plans to give any more money to them.

jakeman

I threw wadded up dollar bills at people. There were rocks in the middle, but folks seemed to be more okay with that.

wdwjmp239

....Now i'm noticing a rather new phenomenon slowly creeping into Disney - that is the wealth divide. I was at Epcot, looking for a view for the night time fireworks, and was told rather abruptly i wasn't allowed to go into a certain area that was always open to public as it was reserved paying guests. Okay so i see the sights of people dressed up the max in suits and dressing sipping on champagne watching the fireworks. Okay, so i move around and look for other viewing spots and saw people on boats, with champagne, first class views. It was slightly disturbing.

I don't care about other parks, i'm looking at Disney. Anyone else feel uncomfortable about this new phenomenon ?.....

Truthfully, it doesn't bother me any. They paid to be there. And, whatever that dollar amount was, I can rest assure it was money I didn't have to pay and probably won't in my lifetime.

Though, my wife told me that a friend of hers is doing some "Dining With Your Senses" thing at Disney (never heard of this - but I hear it's something like $200/person) and to me that $200/person is money I could've used elsewhere in the park OR just put it back in the bank.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
You use to be able to do that, but they had to stop. People would end up throwing food which just attracted more peasants.
I think that these days, the cost of food is the barrier to that. Disney doesn't want to have food wasted that could be sold at exorbitant prices from a food and wine kiosk. Why let me throw a crostini at some lowlife when they can get said lowlife to pay $9 for it during one of their "special events".

DisneyFans4Life

On a more serious note, it should be mentioned that you're not just paying for a spot to watch fireworks...that would be absurd. You're also paying for some type of event such as a dessert party. These spots that you're referring to are typically a sponsored event or some kind or a party, similar to the dessert party at MK.

If you're going to charge someone the prices that Disney charges for these events, you had better offer them premium spots to watch the show or else there wouldn't be a point in charging extra for the event. Does it take away spots from the non-paying customers, sure...but there are plenty of other places to watch fireworks at Epcot and MK that offer just as good or better views.

I should also mention that some other premium spots are still free...you just need to use a FP to get them. I'm fine with both scenarios because it limits the amount of people crowded into one spot. I will gladly pay extra to watch fireworks without having to get to my spot 2 hours early and fight crowds, all while eating all the dessert I want.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think that these days, the cost of food is the barrier to that. Disney doesn't want to have food wasted that could be sold at exorbitant prices from a food and wine kiosk. Why let me throw a crostini at some lowlife when they can get said lowlife to pay $9 for it during one of their "special events".
Like "those people" know what a crostini is or what to do with it.

Nemo14

O

I should also mention that some other premium spots are still free...you just need to use a FP to get them. I'm fine with both scenarios because it limits the amount of people crowded into one spot. I will gladly pay extra to watch fireworks without having to get to my spot 2 hours early and fight crows, all while eating all the dessert I want.

On a less serious note, I hate fighting crows.
th

On a more serious note, OP you are reading far too much into this. Even though Walt had his vision of the park, it's still a luxury not a need.

Disneyland and Disney World are luxuries nothing more, nothing less, but it's engrained into our culture that everyone should visit Disney once in their life. That's why threads and articles like this pop up once in a while because the Parks are just so iconic and well known.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom