Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can cut lines at Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This. I don't doubt that this company exists--taking advantage of people with more money than common sense or morals--but a simple internet search would tell you that a GAC card is pretty easy to come by. You don't even need the kid, "oh, he's with mom." At the end of the day, I'm sure the "free" abusers of GAC far outnumber the number hiring this tour company.

I do know there is also a "black market" for Give Kids the World buttons. Same idea, unscrupulous people trying to beat the lines (not that the parents of the terminally ill kids selling them are any better).

If something can be abused, it will be.
Here is their website.

http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I hope whoever is in this post saying to "JUST TELL EM YOUR KID ADHD" is actually the parent of a Kid with adhd...I AM and I find the comment distasteful and ignorant.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
I don't think they were saying anything bad about people with ADHD. I think they were trying to point out that it is easy to get a GAC by just talking to the CM. You don't need to go through the trouble of hiring an expensive tour guide if you want to cheat the system

Todd L

I don't think they were saying anything bad about people with ADHD. I think they were trying to point out that it is easy to get a GAC by just talking to the CM. You don't need to go through the trouble of hiring an expensive tour guide if you want to cheat the system

Seemed to me they were saying abuse the privlage by lying.....

Yankee Mouse

I've seen some people in the past in scooters at WDW who didn't look disabled and I wondered if they were using it to get by the lines.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/...isabled-tour-members-to-skip-lines-at-disney/

You do realize that just because you can't see a disability doesn't mean that there isn't one? I guarantee if you saw me, a young, in shape person in a wheelchair you would assume I was gaming the system. Then when you saw me try to get up from said wheelchair you would still think that. However if you saw me trying to walk the distances required at Disney you would realize that I had a burst disk in my back which required surgery and prevented me from walking long distances and standing for long periods of time.

So maybe you should think twice before assuming that just because someone doesn't look disabled they are taking advantage of the system. Also as someone who has been in disney in a wheelchair before, let me tell you, it isn't fun, I would much rather be able to walk everywhere then trying to navigate in a wheelchair. It also certainly isn't worth the tradeoff of getting to the front of the lines. Most of the lines have now been streamlined anyway, that 120 minute wait for soarin? yeah wheelchair bound folks have to wait in that line as well. The 60 minute wait on PoTC? Yeah you are waiting in that one as well now. It isn't the advantage people make it out to be.

CaptainessKylie

I wonder if this started out innocent to begin with. A Disney lover wanting to be a tour guide but requires use of a scooter and GAC to do that. Which meant in order for her tour guests to go on tour with her, they would have access with the GAC? I am pretty sure people with disabilities wouldn't get much chance being a tour guide? There is a great team member at universal, very clever, very personable and very funny but they have just left him to operate the exit turnstiles rather then give him a chance to coach him and support him, all because he uses a scooter.
I do feel they are exploiting their disability but the good in me hopes this started off innocent. :-/

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You do realize that just because you can't see a disability doesn't mean that there isn't one? I guarantee if you saw me, a young, in shape person in a wheelchair you would assume I was gaming the system. Then when you saw me try to get up from said wheelchair you would still think that. However if you saw me trying to walk the distances required at Disney you would realize that I had a burst disk in my back which required surgery and prevented me from walking long distances and standing for long periods of time.

So maybe you should think twice before assuming that just because someone doesn't look disabled they are taking advantage of the system. Also as someone who has been in disney in a wheelchair before, let me tell you, it isn't fun, I would much rather be able to walk everywhere then trying to navigate in a wheelchair. It also certainly isn't worth the tradeoff of getting to the front of the lines. Most of the lines have now been streamlined anyway, that 120 minute wait for soarin? yeah wheelchair bound folks have to wait in that line as well. The 60 minute wait on PoTC? Yeah you are waiting in that one as well now. It isn't the advantage people make it out to be.
If anyone should be furious about the people in this article it should be you. It ticks me off because I know people that need a little help and it bugs me to no end when their motives are questioned. These people are exactly why so many look at you and think you are gaming the system.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They seem like they are trying to offer a legitimate service for people in need...Sad that some people would use this when They dont need it.
It does. I just wonder what their approval process is. If it is lax and they just look the other way to make the cash then they are as much as fault as the people that hire them. If they do have a decent approval process and someone figured out a way to get over on them, then they are innocent in the matter.

Todd L

Yes he was saying that but I don't think the poster was saying THEY do it just that people do.

Thank you....I am a very protective parent and if anyone had to see their child struggle with things that come very easily to most children they would NEVER suggest such a Thing!!

bsiev1977

If anyone should be furious about the people in this article it should be you. It ticks me off because I know people that need a little help and it bugs me to no end when their motives are questioned. These people are exactly why so many look at you and think you are gaming the system.
Exactly. People don't look at people with non-apparent disabilities because they are mean, or discriminatory. They doubt because in reality there are people of low morals who have no problem taking advantage of the system.
Reality is, as long as Disney is not allowed to question people who want an ECV or a GAC, people will cheat and therefore ruin things for those that really need the help.

Todd L

It does. I just wonder what their approval process is. If it is lax and they just look the other way to make the cash then they are as much as fault as the people that hire them. If they do have a decent approval process and someone figured out a way to get over on them, then they are innocent in the matter.

I wonder if they put any burden of proof on the families?? Doctors note?? Can they legally ask for such a thing??

I know a Guy who lives by me....Had a DR. that would write him a note EVERY time he went to Wdwfor made up medical conditions and would walk around all day skipping lines....pathetic .

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

My husband tore all the ligaments in his right leg paying sports in high school. 99% of the time he is fine but about once a year he has an issue. We spent the day in Central park a couple weeks ago and he was carrying the stroller down to the subway and he felt something pop in his leg. The next day he couldn't put any weight on his leg. He looks like a normal healthy mid 30s guy but there would be no way he could make it through the parks if this happened on a trip. I could imagine the horrible looks he would get if he had to use a scooter or get a GAC for the day.

ddbowdoin

I wonder if they put any burden of proof on the families?? Doctors note?? Can they legally ask for such a thing??

I know a Guy who lives by me....Had a DR. that would write him a note EVERY time he went to Wdwfor made up medical conditions and would walk around all day skipping lines....pathetic .

nope, against the law under ADA

bsiev1977

IS YOUR CHILD ADHD???????? Mine is and I find your comments offensive....We have NEVER used His Adhd to get a Gac card and never will....we'll leave them so Others can Lie about their childrens conditions and save a few minutes .....PATHETIC!!
He wasn't trying to be offensive. He just used ADHD for an example, that all you have to do is claim a disability to get a GAC. Nobody was trying to bash kids with ADHD.

Todd L

Exactly. People don't look at people with non-apparent disabilities because they are mean, or discriminatory. They doubt because in reality there are people of low morals who have no problem taking advantage of the system.
Reality is, as long as Disney is not allowed to question people who want an ECV or a GAC, people will cheat and therefore ruin things for those that really need the help.

I worked with this woman (i wouldnt call her a lady) ....She took her Dead grandfathers parking permit and used it to park her car in the handicapped parking spaces EVERYWHERE she went.

Movies, grocery store and even work.....Problem was Nobody at work liked her and someone wound up calling the police on her and they Wrote this girl A BOOK of tickets that cost her a small fourtune.

She had the nerve to question people trying to figure out who called.....

ddbowdoin

I really wish @wdwmagic would this thread

why... why can't people discuss an issue with becoming so emotional, illogical, and easily offended.

It's maddening every time someone brings up a valid point and it turns into "do you know my kid has ______ or ______ " and yet you choose to bring them to one of the busiest and most stimulating environments in the US.

bsiev1977

I wonder if this started out innocent to begin with. A Disney lover wanting to be a tour guide but requires use of a scooter and GAC to do that. Which meant in order for her tour guests to go on tour with her, they would have access with the GAC? I am pretty sure people with disabilities wouldn't get much chance being a tour guide? There is a great team member at universal, very clever, very personable and very funny but they have just left him to operate the exit turnstiles rather then give him a chance to coach him and support him, all because he uses a scooter.
I do feel they are exploiting their disability but the good in me hopes this started off innocent. :-/
Why make the the conclusion that Uni left the guy at the turnstiles rather than coach him to be a tour guide? Maybe the gentleman is perfectly happy at his job? Maybe he doesn't want to do more? Maybe his medical condition makes being a tour guide not realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom