REVIEW - Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Janir

As many have said, I don’t really understand why parts of the land have been designed to be small, with the Cantina and DB7 being the worst offenders. Whatever the excuse might be (DLR clone, cosy by design etc.) it doesn’t make sense to me? Surely you’d want to make use of the available space to maximise throughput and grab more revenue? Even if there are plans for future expansion, seems particularly strange to consciously design a land with tight spaces. I mean, all other Disney projects aside, a Star Wars land is, by default, a long awaited project that’s guaranteed to be flooded with guests.

Personally, i’d be thinking carefully about all the people who could be buying stuff instead of queuing out the door just to get into the quick service restaurant. But maybe there’s method in the madness? 🤔 But I can’t see it at the moment....
I honestly think they should have skipped creating a SWGE in DLR and only made it in DHS. Or just not be so strict on them being identical. That way Docking Bay 7 and such could have had more space dedicated to them as befits WDW crowd needs. A topic for another rand thread I'll maybe type up one day.

Janir

They should just charge you an extra $2 with your meal if you want a metal spork then you can keep it.
Not a bad way to do it, but then they have to set up s refunding process for the $2 which means another cast member dealing with spoork returns. Of course if they RFID'ed the sporks then they could have set up a automated refunding process. Of just give out some old school (literally) white sporks with the means and be done with it.

durangojim

I think they should sell sporks in one of the shops. I also think they weren’t particularly easy or comfortable to use. I won’t really miss them.

The_Jobu

I think they should sell sporks in one of the shops. I also think they weren’t particularly easy or comfortable to use. I won’t really miss them.

Surprised these aren't offered:

Light-Up-Lightsaber-Chopsticks.jpg

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I honestly think they should have skipped creating a SWGE in DLR and only made it in DHS. Or just not be so strict on them being identical. That way Docking Bay 7 and such could have had more space dedicated to them as befits WDW crowd needs. A topic for another rand thread I'll maybe type up one day.
The land was DESIGNED for Disneyland. they decided to build a duplicate in DHS and had to change the plans slightly. it was never originally meant for DHS.

kpilcher

The land was DESIGNED for Disneyland. they decided to build a duplicate in DHS and had to change the plans slightly. it was never originally meant for DHS.
Well. The land was designed for both parks. The version we got was more DL centric and built in DHS where it is as a budget/time incentive. If we’d have gotten the Indy-area version, IMHO ( and I certainly don’t know everything about the changes) it would be a better fit. But only if something like CarsLand and / or Monstropolis was built where GE is now.

I had the privilege of experiencing DHS:GE for the first time in it’s near-entirety last night.
Granted crowds were low and ROTR is not open. I was able to fly on/with the Falcon twice and experienced everything that wasn’t pure up-charge (Lightsaber and Cantina) in less than 3 hours. Leisurely. Very leisurely. Loved most of it to be sure. Unlike some projects ( imagination v2&3, for example) you clearly see where most of the money went. I certainly won’t judge an incomplete land on one trip, but I wouldn’t plan a vacation around it as things stand.

Please don’t get me wrong: I enjoyed some truly quality moments. I saw Chewbacca and stormtroopers roaming like Disney characters did in the 70s. I saw Rey interacting surreptitiously with some adoring young girls at night in a way I thought was pure Disney magic. I am FAR from hating what I just experienced. The land gets a LOT right. It’s beautiful. Truly. But the best place to enter for a grand reveal is from the Toy Story Land exit/entrance. Not Grand Avenue and I love the Tap House.

I plan on going back to reassess my thoughts very soon. I had a good snack/ meal at Docking Bay (I never missed the sporks and didn’t hate the hastily added extra temp seating). I will say: Sauti Canteen’s food is better.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed Falcon. I thought it was a lot of fun, but don’t ask me to explain what happened. My second trip I got to experience the wheelchair version. Big thumbs up for being almost exactly the same experience.

As I texted a friend, it felt so much like a Joe Rohde project that I left wanting a souvenir tetanus shot.

SW:GE is far, far away from a miss. But I also did not enjoy myself as much as I did in Hogsmede, Diagon Alley or Pandora. Why? I’m not sure yet. But when I go to Universal/IOA it is primarily for Potter (and I haven’t even seen all of the films so I’m not an Uber-fan) as well as Seuss and Dudley Do-Right. That said, My favorite parts of IOA were demolished for Potter and there is a reason some nickname it Islands of Hypothermia.

Bottom line: I left a gorgeously themed and realized area tonight as a lifelong SW fan wanting more. Especially more that wasn’t just trying to separate me from my money. And I have no problem with the commerce aspect, in theory.

I’m looking forward to more visits to help me understand my feelings.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo menu names simplified and devoid of Star Wars inspired names

SW:GE to be simplified to Disney’s Star Wars Land. Savi’s Workshop simplified to Build a Lightsaber.

SW:GE CMs will soon stop being in character after unnecessary, convoluted interactions such as:

Guest: How do I get to Toy Story Land?

CM: The place visitors refer to as the “Land of Toys” is that way.

BigThunderMatt

Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo menu names simplified and devoid of Star Wars inspired names

Here we go, catering to the lowest common denominator as per the norm. The common man is such an idiot that they can't wrap their head around things being pretend and take everything literally. I cannot for the life of me count how many times people would come into Town Square Theater expecting to see a show and being disgusted to find out it was just a meet and greet. You REALLY had to be taking the banners outside at face value to think it was a show. Same thing here. People probably complained that they didn't want exotic ingredients in their food and instead of fostering the creative and unique elements of the land, they dumbed it down for people that are clearly too stupid to be given a driver's license, let alone visit a theme park, and expect everything to be spelled out to them in plain English and black and white.

ThatMouse

Find the menu name changes very disappointing. I truly enjoyed the fried Tip Yip. I will continue to order Tip Yip on my next visit. Once again the Imagineers created something exotic, exciting and immersive and operations have ruined it.

I agree, it should be at least "Roasted Endorian Chicken" - Endor moon is a actual Star Wars reference. Tip-Yip is an odd reference though, I don't know if the Ewoks say it or what, but no one remembers it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom