Return to normality tracker

mattpeto

They can’t invent new humans. There are simply not enough workers available.

@UpAllNight - you really have to think this one through..

They don't even have all of their revenue streams opened up yet (Dining Plan, Missing Tours, Parties, Restaurants still closed, BBB still down, etc.).

They are on a very slow uphill climb back to pre-pandemic standards. Cultural representation should help over the next few months.

Disstevefan1

When they shut down the theme parks due to COVID they laid off thousands of cast members, letting them know they were laid off via email. Folks simply moved on and I presume most got better jobs elsewhere.

Returning to normal is more of the same as we experienced for many, many years; pay more and get less.

Disney is trying to mitigate things with the Park Pass Reservation system; trying to run the parks with the absolute minimum staff.

mattpeto

When they shut down the theme parks due to COVID they laid off thousands of cast members, letting them know they were laid off via email. Folks simply moved on and I presume most got better jobs elsewhere.

Returning to normal is more of the same as we experienced for many, many years; pay more and get less.

Disney is trying to mitigate things with the Park Pass Reservation system; trying to run the parks with the absolute minimum staff.

While I agree with some of that, I also think "why would they purposely hold back revenue streams?" like I mentioned in the post above.

Disstevefan1

While I agree with some of that, I also think "why would they purposely hold back revenue streams?" like I mentioned in the post above.
Before the Park Pass Reservation System we knew (except for a few days a year) we could get into a park.

I (think) the Park Pass Reservation System creates artificial demand; access that was always available, now not so much.

Over time they can charge more money to less people and make more money with minimum staffing.

Jrb1979

They implemented it poorly, unfortunately. I’m sure they can just remove the Genie+ cartridge, blow on it, and start things back up without any more issues.
In theory Genie+ is MaxPass minus the top tier attractions. It should work but the problem is like @disneyglimpses has said they weren't expecting this many people to buy it. What they need to do is cap sales which sounds like they are going to do. Then you run into the other problem in that Disney guests won't accept standing in line for long periods of time.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Is their wait time list free or paid subscription?

Pay more. Sticking with no excuse, they should have seen it coming. Masses of people leaving an industry where job security felt like an issue

They also have no incentive to return to staffing levels pre-pandemic.

They could solve a lot of problems by paying more, but they are only choosing to focus that attention on positions that directly impact revenue.

They've also lost a ton of cast members from cultural representation program and college program. With those starting up again, that should help.

ToTBellHop

Exactly! Who among us, if we were running a business, wouldn't offer $60/hour just to get our janitorial and receptionist positions fully staffed?
With some of the messes I've seen in a WDW restroom, the janitors definitely deserve $60/hr. God's work.

Isn't it funny when people say, "just pay more, Disney!" and then complain that a Mickey's Premium Bar costs $6?

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
I have to agree. Disney execs are raking in tens of millions a year, the cost for higher wages for cast members should not fall to the consumers
The problem is that executive compensation is market based. The company needs to hire qualified and competent people (though I would agree the model isn't working thus far). Ultimately, it is going to fall to consumers; any reduction in executive pay to increase wages would be minimal and insignificant at best.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While much more needs to be done to ensure an equitable and living wage for all people, I never thought I'd see the day that even though the Federal minimum wage is $7.25 and the FL M.W. is $10, that the new norm for entry positions is mostly at $15 simply due to supply and demand (and unions).

Just a few years ago when people were floating $15 as the new minimum wage, people scoffed at it as ridiculously high and unattainable. And in a way, it was, since the Federal and most state legislatures couldn't get near that number. And yet, here it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom