News Return of the Walt Disney World tram fleet tracker

DisneyNorthFan

At this stage, free or half of parking at these parks would seem fair ... and that would give some incentive to WDW for getting the tram system fully operational again, as it should. Not that I think this would every happen, but it's what should happen.

JohnD

Walt Disney World's parking tram fleet remains mothballed at two of the theme parks​

Just a guess but presumably, MK and AK have the most drivers arriving. All parks are accessible by bus obviously. MK is the primary destination park for WDW with parking at the TTC. The only other access is monorail or boat from the deluxe resorts or Epcot. AK access is bus or car only.

Epcot and HS are accessible between each other in addition to Skyliner from Pop, Animation, CBR and Riveria. Boardwalk, Swolphin, Yacht/Beach have walking or boat access to both parks. Epcot, of course, has access from the TTC via monorail, so tram service at TTC is helpful there to get to Epcot.

JohnD

Does anyone know the reason why Animal Kingdom's parking lot doesn't have foliage? Too expensive to maintain/irrigate? Such an odd decision to not have a single tree in the parking lot in a park themed to nature...
Probably to directly contrast it with AK. It's theming (or lack thereof) in the parking lot before entering the foliage of AK.

celluloid

With Negotiations likely raising the pay a dollar or two an hour and giving another personal day or two to people's work. I don't think Disney is willing to bring back the other trams for a bit.

celluloid

Probably to directly contrast it with AK. It's theming (or lack thereof) in the parking lot before entering the foliage of AK.

Yes, this was always speculated and later confirmed by Rhode it was partly by choice to go into the lush welcoming idea of foliage to realize how much our palete wants it.

rickdrat

Correct me where I'm wrong, but aren't the WDW lots designed with the Trams as a primary means of transport, and walkers given secondary consideration in terms of space and organization? It would seem to me putting every guest on foot from the farthest reaches, with strollers and wandering toddlers in tow, is asking for an accident, especially in the evening when everyone's exhausted and attention is waning.

tpoly88

Just a guess but presumably, MK and AK have the most drivers arriving. All parks are accessible by bus obviously. MK is the primary destination park for WDW with parking at the TTC. The only other access is monorail or boat from the deluxe resorts or Epcot. AK access is bus or car only.

Epcot and HS are accessible between each other in addition to Skyliner from Pop, Animation, CBR and Riveria. Boardwalk, Swolphin, Yacht/Beach have walking or boat access to both parks. Epcot, of course, has access from the TTC via monorail, so tram service at TTC is helpful there to get to Epcot.
Epcot unless your on the back west side of the parking lots is not bad to walk to the front as they are shaped in a pie and horrible. The trams have the issue that i always could walk faster to the front then getting on the tram and waiting, waiting, waiting, then finally No more boarding! then waiting again. TTC is the one place the walk is a little long as no shortcuts. AK long too. ive always been very suprised that Disney never made parking garages like at Univeral with Solar panels on the roof. You could then have the moving walkways bring you to the front without the trams.

tpoly88

Shaded walkways and moving sidewalks like in Paris would be a win tbh.
Moving sidewalks, covered would be better in some places than the trams. As i mentioned im surprised they have never added a 2-3 story garage with Solar on top so you'd have covered parking and out of the sun. Plus the parking lots are a sauna during the hot months. Universal did it without causing a major headache getting in/out. The trams are an insurance nightmare i'd bet and trying to find qualified people to drive them.

JoeCamel

Epcot unless your on the back west side of the parking lots is not bad to walk to the front as they are shaped in a pie and horrible. The trams have the issue that i always could walk faster to the front then getting on the tram and waiting, waiting, waiting, then finally No more boarding! then waiting again. TTC is the one place the walk is a little long as no shortcuts. AK long too. ive always been very suprised that Disney never made parking garages like at Univeral with Solar panels on the roof. You could then have the moving walkways bring you to the front without the trams.

Moving sidewalks, covered would be better in some places than the trams. As i mentioned im surprised they have never added a 2-3 story garage with Solar on top so you'd have covered parking and out of the sun. Plus the parking lots are a sauna during the hot months. Universal did it without causing a major headache getting in/out. The trams are an insurance nightmare i'd bet and trying to find qualified people to drive them.
Parking lots are cheap compared to garages. Who has lots of land and who has no land? Hint one builds garages and slidewalks and the other owns an asphalt plant

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney simply cannot bring the trams back right now. They are financially stretched to the max and even the small amount of money these cost to run could tip the balance and send the company into financial ruin.

I mean, what other excuse could there be? 🙄

TransportationGuy

Correct me where I'm wrong, but aren't the WDW lots designed with the Trams as a primary means of transport, and walkers given secondary consideration in terms of space and organization? It would seem to me putting every guest on foot from the farthest reaches, with strollers and wandering toddlers in tow, is asking for an accident, especially in the evening when everyone's exhausted and attention is waning.
This was true for the parking lots of old. As the parking lots are being redone, this seems to be changing (Ex. present day EPCOT).

alphac2005

Friends were down with their family from out of state last week and in their party was a man who is 75 and not in the best of health. Pretty much was a slow stroll around Epcot and barely much of World Showcase. While my wife and I do races, I’ve trained for other fitness competitions, the truth is that there’s tons of people like members of our friends’ party and children exhausted at the end of the day or maybe a tram at the start of the day to help conserve energy as well.

When we were at Epcot on Sunday, I grew convinced that this is about up charging and getting people into premium parking at the front and just letting the trams rot at this point at Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

Goofyernmost

Friends were down with their family from out of state last week and in their party was a man who is 75 and not in the best of health. Pretty much was a slow stroll around Epcot and barely much of World Showcase. While my wife and I do races, I’ve trained for other fitness competitions, the truth is that there’s tons of people like members of our friends’ party and children exhausted at the end of the day or maybe a tram at the start of the day to help conserve energy as well.

When we were at Epcot on Sunday, I grew convinced that this is about up charging and getting people into premium parking at the front and just letting the trams rot at this point at Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
Of all the parks, Epcot needed the trams the least. MK does and so does DHS. DAK does for the end rows of the parking lanes. Even places like Dollywood have trams. Dollywood is a decent park but if it has gotten to the point where Dollywood is classier than WDW, I think it is time to rethink my travel destinations.

celluloid

Universal and Disneyland did not have the gift of space. Garages are a necessity for saving space for other large attractions to keep business going. They are incredibly costly when you don't have to do one and you could staff and operate tram fleets for decades before making a dent in that cost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom