News Return of the Walt Disney World tram fleet tracker

MrPromey

Imagine fleecing people on the experience they're paying for to such an extreme that those same people get excited when a free perk people were already paying for gets reinstated. People are all on social media like this is a new ride or attraction. Disney has you all giddy over a fricking tram. Let that sink in...
FTFY ;)

Andrew25

Only MK approaches 6 trams running. At the rest of the parks, depending upon time of day, its either 2 or 3 trams.

So 6 + 3 + 3 + 3= 15 trams
2 People on the tram, 1 at load = 3 people per tram = 45 people + 4 people at unload = 49 people to operated 15 trams.
Figure 1 break replacement person per tram = 15 for breaks. So total of 64 people.
Figure 2 shifts per day = 128 people to pay daily.
128 people x $15 hour x 8 hours per day = $15,360 for labor...

So at $25 to park, it would take roughly 614 cars to pay the the tram labor for the day.

This analysis doesn't include fuel, maintenance costs or fringe benefit costs.

Parking fees are a profit-making machine for theme parks.

Using my conservative assumptions, they are making a very good profit.

These numbers are just assumptions and not accurate. I don't know the MPG of the trams nor the maintenance costs, but you can get a general sense of what we're dealing with here.

1638552345066.png

MrPromey

These numbers are just assumptions and not accurate. I don't know the MPG of the trams nor the maintenance costs, but you can get a general sense of what we're dealing with here.

View attachment 604750
One thing, I wanted to point out is that the $15.50 does not include benefit costs for full time employees or Disney's share of Social Security tax which (for ss) wouldn't be reflected on the pay stub.

Not sure about them but I know for my employer, that all amounts to about $6 more an hour (on average) in costs... but for part time staff, it would probably be a lot less.

... of course, even with that increase, assuming they're all full-time, it barely moves the needle.

Last edited:

peter11435

View attachment 604750
Among other things you’re ignoring the staffing required for non tram positions. Auto plaza, directing traffic, security, etc. You're also not accounting for the the cost of maintaining the lots themselves. Asphalt, striping, lighting, landscaping…. Etc. Then there’s property taxes for hundreds of acres of asphalt. The list goes on.

Wilkie

Among other things you’re ignoring the staffing required for non tram positions. Auto plaza, directing traffic, security, etc. You're also not accounting for the the cost of maintaining the lots themselves. Asphalt, striping, lighting, landscaping…. Etc. Then there’s property taxes for hundreds of acres of asphalt. The list goes on.
Surely most of those expenses would apply whether or not the teams run?

DznyRktekt

Also, the entire fleet of tram tugs was recently replaced. The originals were from way back and used to run on diesel. I remember as a kid seeing them belch out thick black smoke. Assuming they paid cash for the new fleet, but the cost must be in the equation as well, not to mention them sitting idle for so long.

bpiper

Also, the entire fleet of tram tugs was recently replaced. The originals were from way back and used to run on diesel. I remember as a kid seeing them belch out thick black smoke. Assuming they paid cash for the new fleet, but the cost must be in the equation as well, not to mention them sitting idle for so long.
They would have been fully depreciated by now. By buying new tugs, which are just plain airplane tugs, it starts the whole depreciation cycle again. So exchanging one asset, cash, for another asset, tug, minus 1/30 or 1/25 or 1/20 the cost in yearly depreciation. If cash is a problem, then its costly, but the parks are the Disney ATM, so not a problem.

Andrew25

Yes, but I'm not going to spend the entire day figuring out the actual numbers Disney ends up with.

I'm just trying to show that the trams aren't as expensive to operate as one might think. Let's say that my guess is wrong and Disney actually spends $40,000,000 (which is ridiculous) on operating their parking lots (including employee benefits), they'll be making a profit of ~$20+ million, and that's with only 25% of park traffic coming from guests who arrive by car and don't have an AP.

PaulZ

$25 per car, per day.

Pretty sure they can part with some of that for tram operators (again).

Goofyernmost

That would be these cars right here. ;) Still plenty left over to pay for all of the other parks labor for the day from just the cars in this lot alone.
View attachment 604744
Ya, I was going to say that 614 cars would be literally the tip of the iceberg. I used to envy the money they took in from when it only cost $1.00 for parking. Also factor in that each car contains at least two people usually at $100.00+ per person to get into the parks so add to that $15,360 approximately 614 X 2 = 1228 people paying approx. $105.00 for park admission = another $128,940.00 and all of a sudden there seems to be enough there to pay the help. And that is just that little corner of the parking lot. Add the rest in and ones mind might explode.

Baloo62

OMG, what was I thinking? From now on, when I pay for parking, I will give the toll attendant a $100 bill and tell them to use the change to help with all of these expenses. I am totally ashamed of myself for taking advantage of the Walt Disney Company by only paying $25 to park for so long.

matt9112

That’s 40 positions. Factoring additional employees to cover breaks and such you’re pushing closer to 50 CM’s… at a time. Coverings shifts and days off you’re looking at well over 100 people needed.

Oh no....darn....i never owuld have though the multi billion dollar corperation could somehow figure out a way to compensate 100 positions properly to gain 100 employees.

Must be tough to be Disney....record stock prices...streaming going great....tough times indeed

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom