News Return of the Walt Disney World tram fleet tracker

peter11435

OMG, what was I thinking? From now on, when I pay for parking, I will give the toll attendant a $100 bill and tell them to use the change to help with all of these expenses. I am totally ashamed of myself for taking advantage of the Walt Disney Company by only paying $25 to park for so long.
Not even remotely my point. I’ve said for a bit now that there was no excuse that tram service had not returned. But if someone is going to attempt to calculate the revenue and costs of parking operations they need to do it fairly and accurately.

peter11435

Oh no....darn....i never owuld have though the multi billion dollar corperation could somehow figure out a way to compensate 100 positions properly to gain 100 employees.

Must be tough to be Disney....record stock prices...streaming going great....tough times indeed
What record stock price?

Gaining 100 employees isn’t a problem. The problem is that they need to gain 1000’s.

And again. As I’ve stated before there’s no excuse for tram service to have taken this long. But, if you’re going to post about how many employees an operation takes or how much it costs to operate you need to do it accurately.

Goofyernmost

Among other things you’re ignoring the staffing required for non tram positions. Auto plaza, directing traffic, security, etc. You're also not accounting for the the cost of maintaining the lots themselves. Asphalt, striping, lighting, landscaping…. Etc. Then there’s property taxes for hundreds of acres of asphalt. The list goes on.
Parking meter change. No big deal but it is hard for most of us to even imagine that much daily income. Those parking lots may get repaved once every 25 years, but if they seal them yearly they would probably last over 50 years which I really think that with the exception of some reclaimed areas hasn't been done again yet. I don't have the absolutes on that but since there is not a lot of thawing and freezing it should still be original in a whole lot of it. Most of the expense you are saying just goes from one Disney pocket into another Disney pocket known as RCID.

Yes, it is expensive, but the bottom line of the company is sufficient to pay the CM's enough to make it worth their while. No one is really debating that, what is up for debate would be two things. The biggest and probably the most important is why didn't they figure that the trams were not a luxury for many people but a necessity and get started filling those positions earlier. And second is how much profit does Disney have to make before they make things worth the prices they are asking.

Paying for parking is a small consideration, but it is a basic need for parking lots the size that Disney builds, so why was it not a top priority and how much it costs should not even have been and issue. They lost a lot of revenue in the beginning of the Pandemic, but they also had a drastic decrease in costs during that time. Now it should be not even thought of as a consideration.

Provide what people want and continue to make huge profits and not try to make up for lost revenue all in the same year. Build more and they will come, just make sure it is comfortable while they are there so they will want to come back. After many visits and 10's of thousands of dollars spent, I am not returning until I think it will be a fun place to be. I know I am not alone. Will we put them out of business by not showing up.? Hell no, but one thing that Disney used to do was look beyond today and decide what is necessary to continue on successfully into many tomorrows.

peter11435

Parking meter change. No big deal but it is hard for most of us to even imagine that much daily income. Those parking lots may get repaved once every 25 years, but if they seal them yearly they would probably last over 50 years which I really think that with the exception of some reclaimed areas hasn't been done again yet. I don't have the absolutes on that but since there is not a lot of thawing and freezing it should still be original in a whole lot of it. Most of the expense you are saying just goes from one Disney pocket into another Disney pocket known as RCID.
Only Animal Kingdom has any original asphalt left. And even there it’s not the whole lot. The lots are repaved more often than you seem to think.

RCID is irrelevant in this discussion. None of the expenses I mentioned go to RCID excerpt a small portion of the property taxes.

Goofyernmost

Only Animal Kingdom has any original asphalt left. And even there it’s not the whole lot. The lots are repaved more often than you seem to think.

RCID is irrelevant in this discussion. None of the expenses I mentioned go to RCID excerpt a small portion of the property taxes.
I still have a hard time feeling sorry for them. No matter how many times they have repaved which I still think is limited over the last 50 years. I'm not sure why you insist on defending them. They have profits in the Billions every year. That's money they haven't spent on parks, whether it be rides, paint or parking lots. I usually defend them when it comes to real maintenance things, but the amount they spend on a slab of asphalt is so minimal compared to everything else is hardly measurable. I will repeat, they have profits in the Billions or even if it is just Millions, it is still money not needed to run the business. They can provide services for paying guests. You have even said so. I find no redeemable argument to justify not providing that service. None! Even if I can identify every possible expense connected with parking lots and the use of trams to transport guests to the real money maker.

peter11435

I still have a hard time feeling sorry for them. No matter how many times they have repaved which I still think is limited over the last 50 years. I'm not sure why you insist on defending them. They have profits in the Billions every year. That's money they haven't spent on parks, whether it be rides, paint or parking lots. I usually defend them when it comes to real maintenance things, but the amount they spend on a slab of asphalt is so minimal compared to everything else is hardly measurable. I will repeat, they have profits in the Billions or even if it is just Millions, it is still money not needed to run the business. They can provide services for paying guests. You have even said so. I find no redeemable argument to justify not providing that service. None! Even if I can identify every possible expense connected with parking lots and the use of trams to transport guests to the real money maker.
I’m not defending them. There is no excuse for trams to have taken this long. And they make huge profits off of parking fees. I’m not disputing either of those points. But. If you’re going to talk about the operating expenses/revenues of parking operations than you should be as accurate as possible and not intentionally/unintentionally ignore large expenses.

Goofyernmost

I’m not defending them. There is no excuse for trams to have taken this long. And they make huge profits off of parking fees. I’m not disputing either of those points. But. If you’re going to talk about the operating expenses/revenues of parking operations than you should be as accurate as possible and not intentionally/unintentionally ignore large expenses.
I'm sure, like myself, we tend to generalize about exactly how much it costs to run the parking lot services. The reason for that is we don't have access to the spreadsheets. For some reason Disney doesn't send them to us. What we do see is the profit number and know that there was money there to do things. The details, at that point, do not matter. Then it becomes a management choice, not a "gee, we're all out of money" so basically the need to have all the details of individual costs are not really relevant. Budgets are guidelines not necessarily based on real need, it is a management decision to not put priorities in place. We all seem to agree on that part.

peter11435

I'm sure, like myself, we tend to generalize about exactly how much it costs to run the parking lot services. The reason for that is we don't have access to the spreadsheets. For some reason Disney doesn't send them to us. What we do see is the profit number and know that there was money there to do things. The details, at that point, do not matter. Then it becomes a management choice, not a "gee, we're all out of money" so basically the need to have all the details of individual costs are not really relevant. Budgets are guidelines not necessarily based on real need, it is a management decision to not put priorities in place. We all seem to agree on that part.
The post I was replying to was from someone who literally attempted to make a spreadsheet showing revenue and expenses. If you’re going to do that and overlook significant elements then that is going to get pointed out.

Last edited:

Andrew25

The post I was replying to was from someone who literally attempted to make a spreadsheet showing revenue and expenses. If you’re going to do that and overlook significant elements then that is going to get pointed out.

I'm not going to spend more than 5 minutes on a spreadsheet to get a precise number. All I am doing is giving people a general idea of the amount of revenue they gain from parking. It's an insane number, it's why so many parks have added/expanded preferred parking over the last 5 years.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
B9D6FADF-CB34-4FB9-BC87-B28D9E48DB15.jpeg

Disappear Homer Simpson GIF

peter11435

I'm not going to spend more than 5 minutes on a spreadsheet to get a precise number. All I am doing is giving people a general idea of the amount of revenue they gain from parking. It's an insane number, it's why so many parks have added/expanded preferred parking over the last 5 years.
It’s not giving people a general idea if you leave out over half the costs of operating the parking lots.

Goofyernmost

I guess I owe you an apology, I must have missed that or forgot it, your choice. Yes, if it is being listed in items and those items are not complete, then they should be pointed out. Mea culpa! :oops: :(

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It’s neat that Disney found a way to (partially) bring back the trams that is more insulting to guests then just leaving them closed.
As if some in Disney really cared about what guests thought about anyway. Hey, remember the exec that said guests were all too fat and that smaller portions would be good for them. She said the quiet part out loud. Probably wound up with a promotion too.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As if some in Disney really cared about what guests thought about anyway. Hey, remember the exec that said guests were all too fat and that smaller portions would be good for them. She said the quiet part out loud. Probably wound up with a promotion too.
That 'exec' was CFO. She has little to nothing to do with guest services.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
And you don’t think that exact mindset follows it way down the chain with all flunkies and yes men in the executive and managerial sewers within TWDC?
The fact the CFO is commenting on something guest facing like portion sizes is very indicative that this corrosiveness very much impacts how guest relations and other front of house operations operate.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And you don’t think that exact mindset follows it way down the chain with all flunkies and yes men in the executive and managerial sewers within TWDC?
The fact the CFO is commenting on something guest facing like portion sizes is very indicative that this corrosiveness very much impacts how guest relations and other front of house operations operate.
I'm not defending the rude comment, but it was an offhand remark. Certainly there are execs looking to make cuts, but to attribute to them that they all think guests are just a bunch of fatties is a real stretch.

matt9112

So a CFO of a multi billion dollar company cant be coached and or choose her words better because? Shes not in guest services? Legitimately tried to say saving money is secondary to fat guests. When her entire job is...money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom