News Return of the Walt Disney World tram fleet tracker

celluloid

When enough CP have been trained.

Remember when some posters were saying it was about safety that could not be explained? I guess they are finally through that part of accepting the facts that it was a cost cutting issue.

celluloid

Even if one accepts that cuts had to be made as the parks restart, the fact that THIS was deemed an acceptable cut shows how much contempt current WDW management has for guests.

Indeed. Glaringly so.

There were so many other solutions that would have been reasonable. People would understand reducing operations, and they would not even need to run as many.

DisneyCane

Not running the trams at MK is just plain mean.
It isn't THAT far to walk. I stopped riding the tram at any park when they went to the recorded, dual language safety spiel. I'm too impatient to sit through it. Most of the time I arrive walking slightly earlier than the tram I would have been on. Sometimes just afterwards.

castlecake2.0

It isn't THAT far to walk. I stopped riding the tram at any park when they went to the recorded, dual language safety spiel. I'm too impatient to sit through it. Most of the time I arrive walking slightly earlier than the tram I would have been on. Sometimes just afterwards.
For most people it’s not, but some people need the mobility assistance. My grandma doesn’t use a wheelchair, but I also don’t want her walking half a mile through the MK lot in the heat.

JMcMahonEsq

For most people it’s not, but some people need the mobility assistance. My grandma doesn’t use a wheelchair, but I also don’t want her walking half a mile through the MK lot in the heat.
But that's the whole point. You shut down operations due to a global pandemic. Had massive losses in revenue and personnel, and now your looking at gradually turning things back on. Why would WDW give priority to a item that for most people, is not a necessity. These trams are likely one of the last things they would be thinking about.

Initially, with parks are reduced capacity, and with travel restrictions, you were not seeing the parking lot utilized to its full capacity, so you are not seeing people having to walk from the back part of the lots. Then when things started opening, if you were at the parks, you noticed rides using social distancing protocols, such as seating every other seat/row, and plastic dividers between riders. Why would Disney want to expend funds to retrofit its tram fleet, use its limited employees to bring these trams back in service, and operate them, for a service that is of limited to only a small subset of visitors. I would also suspect (this is just a personnel guess) that many of the people who would truly need the trams were not the people who were traveling and visiting the park once WDW first re-opened.

So fast forward to present day. There is no question WDW is in budget saving mode. No matter how much money you think Disney has, it is a business, and being shut down for as long as they were is going to impact your business. I would also argue a shutdown like what happened to WDW is a perfect time to re-evaluate what operations are needed, and which are not. I think trams have just been one of those items that simply do not benefit enough people to make it worth being a priority to bring back. Will they come back some time in the future? Maybe, but I don't think its high priority nor a rush to get them back.

castlecake2.0

But that's the whole point. You shut down operations due to a global pandemic. Had massive losses in revenue and personnel, and now your looking at gradually turning things back on. Why would WDW give priority to a item that for most people, is not a necessity. These trams are likely one of the last things they would be thinking about.

Initially, with parks are reduced capacity, and with travel restrictions, you were not seeing the parking lot utilized to its full capacity, so you are not seeing people having to walk from the back part of the lots. Then when things started opening, if you were at the parks, you noticed rides using social distancing protocols, such as seating every other seat/row, and plastic dividers between riders. Why would Disney want to expend funds to retrofit its tram fleet, use its limited employees to bring these trams back in service, and operate them, for a service that is of limited to only a small subset of visitors. I would also suspect (this is just a personnel guess) that many of the people who would truly need the trams were not the people who were traveling and visiting the park once WDW first re-opened.

So fast forward to present day. There is no question WDW is in budget saving mode. No matter how much money you think Disney has, it is a business, and being shut down for as long as they were is going to impact your business. I would also argue a shutdown like what happened to WDW is a perfect time to re-evaluate what operations are needed, and which are not. I think trams have just been one of those items that simply do not benefit enough people to make it worth being a priority to bring back. Will they come back some time in the future? Maybe, but I don't think its high priority nor a rush to get them back.
Im sure Im not the only person that has a family member that could benefit from a team service. I know Disney is a business, I work for them. I don’t think it’s right they charge people $25 to park and not offer them help to the front of the lot, especially at TTC. I know they’re budget conscious, but they could find solutions. Maybe even have a couple “on demand” cast driving golf carts available for guests needing special assistance to the front as an alternative for now.

Texas84

Im sure Im not the only person that has a family member that could benefit from a team service. I know Disney is a business, I work for them. I don’t think it’s right they charge people $25 to park and not offer them help to the front of the lot, especially at TTC. I know they’re budget conscious, but they could find solutions. Maybe even have a couple “on demand” cast driving golf carts available for guests needing special assistance to the front as an alternative for now.
I was picked up by a CM in a golf cart in the AK parking lot once back when the trams were still running. Maybe one of those extra magic things? Sure made my day.

celluloid

It depends on your party.
Having kids or being a diverse family can change a lot of things.

DisneyCane

It depends on your party.
Having kids or being a diverse family can change a lot of things.
Luckily, Disney has a solution...

$$$$Preferred Parking$$$$

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom