Return of the College Program?

When do you think the DCP will begin again?

• Spring 2021

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Summer 2021

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • Fall 2021

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • 2022/Later

Votes: 63 56.3%

• Total voters

Giss Neric

I find it interesting people saying your program won’t be good if you don’t have friends there. I literally woke up one morning in Canada and went to bed that night in Florida with roommates that I’ve never met before from Norway, Mexico and Germany, and we all got along pretty great.
Some people are social butterflies and do not have problems making friends. Some applies for DCP to improve their social skills cause they are shy. Some people feel more comfortable if they are with people who they know already. Some people are okay with just them and no plans on making new friends,

I used to only talk to people when they initiate talking to me first. If not, I won't speak to you at all. I got better with that though so I can understand how people are different in social situations.

wdwfan22

i don’t know if anyone had mentioned this yet but Disney cleared the complexes of furniture a couple of weeks ago. I think it’s safe to say they don’t plan on bringing it back next year.

DisneyDreamer08

Can you request roommates now? I applied with two friends of mine years ago, maybe 2001 or 2002. We went to a big group meeting prior to being accepted and were told we weren’t allowed to room together and we would automatically be placed with people with didn’t know. Some time after that meeting, we got our assignments in the mail. Both my friends got attractions and I got merchandise. I have had anxiety my whole life and at the last minute, I decided I couldn’t handle random roommates, a job I had no experience with, and knowing I likely wouldn’t see my friends much, so I backed out. I wish I had been brave enough to do it.
Both my friends participated and they essentially “broke even” in terms of compensation. One friend was assigned to attractions in MK (Adventureland I believe) and my other friend was a parking attendant in AK.
Side note, while there, they went out to dinner one night. While driving back to their dorms, they were in an accident. Both had some injuries that needed stitches and whatnot. They were rear ended and the back of their car, empty at the time, was totaled. I always thought if I had gone with them, one of us would have been in the back seat.

NelleBelle

I can't imagine they're bringing it back until there is a vaccine that is out and being administered to the majority of the population (from what one reads, not happening anytime soon).

Kobe!!

I was told I would have to pay a $150 fee to change my room. That wasn’t happening. I only had one roommate. The other guy was cool but he relocated in literally 2 days. Again, I’m a theatre kid. I definitely am an extroverted people person. I’m not a party person. There’s a difference.

Everyone is saying this. So I just want to know what the heck was up when I asked the person at the desk, in person!

Yep. I’m a people person. Not a party person. Get behind a Smash Bros tournament, or let’s make films together or other geeky things. But I don’t drink, and I dont care for being around a bunch of people who only care about partying every single dang night.

I did get REALLY tired of starting the same ice breaker conversation over and over again in traditions, only to immediately get split up.

Hell no.

Nope. Those guys are cool.

What doesn’t make sense? I applied for DCP the semester after I transferred colleges. None of my friends were able to afford/go because of cost and/or theatre commitments.

DCP sucked. Not for most people. But it did for me. Party hungry sex crazy kids just trying to escape college. A lot, for several semesters in a row. Seems pretty sus to me. They all acted like immature high schoolers with all the drama I kept Hearing from a distance, too.
You say over and over again how you're not a people person but you didn't answer me when I said weren't you involved with the whole Patrick Spikes situation and Buzzy.....

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You say over and over again how you're not a people person but you didn't answer me when I said weren't you involved with the whole Patrick Spikes situation and Buzzy.....
No. I wasnt 😂 I literally have no idea where you pulled that from. I’m from South Carolina.

arielshi

What does that have to do with anything or the topic at hand? Lmao.

Sorry to hear your CP experience wasn't stellar tho. :(

castlecake2.0

of the old complexes, they also have completed a new complex at Flamingo Crossings opening in November that will be open to all cast members, not just DCP.
I think Flamingo Village will only be for program participants, across the street is another complex being built that will be open to anyone.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
As DCP alumni (the Spring 2020 program that was cancelled) I was wondering when everyone thought it would begin again. I don't think the program will be outright cancelled- they just finished building a new housing complex and the CP is a source of cheap labor. However, I'm not sure when the need will arise to bring them back. Obviously, it will be after everyone furloughed returns (or is let go, which I hope doesn't happen). Personally, I think it will be around Fall 2021. By then, a vaccine will hopefully be making the rounds, and masks may no longer be a requirement. It depends on a multitude of factors, of course, but this is fun to talk about. Personally I don't think I'd do another CP but would rather be employed outright, mainly because of the Aspire program.

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts! :)
Disney was ahead of the curve to send the CPs home abruptly. It was a sad situation for the CPs but Disney knew what was coming with the virus From their parks overseas. Disney had clearer information than most entries stateside and used it to safeguard those very young college students.

As an Alumni you are more aware than most fans how crammed those apartments are and it would make social distancing and needed sanitizing impossible.

Vista Way is the only campus housing owned by Disney. Last week it could be seen from Lake Bryan that all the apartments were being emptied including furniture etc by movers. I believe that is the Chatham Campus???
Disney was building a new campus for a few reasons. Their current housing was packed after they moved bunk beds into some campus apartments making it difficult with refrigerators and bathrooms. Also the West portion of Disney was far from Campus to where the CP worked.
I have mixed feelings about Western Way Flamingo. The CP will be out in the middle of nowhere for several years and a far piece from other CPers and Disney Springs. But for those who like to hang in their apartment it will likely be a more tranquil experience the first few years. There are not true restaurants or shopping close And many CPs don't have cars.

My best guess is the program will return but not until there is a vaccine that has been well vetted. Like the flu shot it will have to prove it can be updated for new versions of the Covid and and be able to handle variances.

I am anticipating facilities like the water parks to not come back online until they can get a chunk of the CPs back as they are the overwhelming majority of the CM base. It has to be a stretch to even have resort pools staffed. Even Mickeys Retreat needed lifeguards. Disney can adjust in the parks and Springs without CPs while the virus wears on but those Waterparks IMO not so much. Many CPs were accepted into the program because the were guards Already.

So yes I believe they are coming back but not until Disney believes in the vaccine enough for safety on the housing campuses.

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster
Just FYI from what I have heard, the entire recruiting team for the College Program was let go in the latest round of layoffs. I think it is safe to say the College Program isn't coming back anytime at least within the next couple of years.
Very sad if true. I guess I will pin my hopes on getting hired as PT, then! 🤞🏻

WondersOfLife

Some people are social butterflies and do not have problems making friends. Some applies for DCP to improve their social skills cause they are shy. Some people feel more comfortable if they are with people who they know already. Some people are okay with just them and no plans on making new friends,

I used to only talk to people when they initiate talking to me first. If not, I won't speak to you at all. I got better with that though so I can understand how people are different in social situations.
I would have been fine making friends if everyone didn't just want to drink or go on the party busy every single night.

And those who didn't were very interesting people...

......Either that, or I just really don't like people, I guess.

WondersOfLife

What does that have to do with anything or the topic at hand? Lmao.

Sorry to hear your CP experience wasn't stellar tho. :(
It's all good. I'm very happy with where I ended up right after... Ended up getting engaged in March and our children's theatre business has been back up and running. Life is good!

Glad I did the college program, just so I would never have to regret not trying it out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would have been fine making friends if everyone didn't just want to drink or go on the party busy every single night.

And those who didn't were very interesting people...

......Either that, or I just really don't like people, I guess.

Wow...you somehow overlooked/overshot article 1 of the college program charter.

Do people not know? Disney must be better at cyber policing than I gave them credit for 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess so. Educate me... (or is this a joke, I cant read jokes very well on these threads)

I don’t want to upset the “children” (it’s the parents, actually) as to what goes on at the apartment.

Just step back and look at the uniqueness of the social scenario? It’s a once in a lifetime deal.
And it’s not “just like college” because there’s no pressure/nothing at stake while you’re there.

It will be back 2022

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom