Return of the College Program?

When do you think the DCP will begin again?

• Spring 2021

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Summer 2021

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • Fall 2021

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • 2022/Later

Votes: 63 56.3%

• Total voters

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster
As DCP alumni (the Spring 2020 program that was cancelled) I was wondering when everyone thought it would begin again. I don't think the program will be outright cancelled- they just finished building a new housing complex and the CP is a source of cheap labor. However, I'm not sure when the need will arise to bring them back. Obviously, it will be after everyone furloughed returns (or is let go, which I hope doesn't happen). Personally, I think it will be around Fall 2021. By then, a vaccine will hopefully be making the rounds, and masks may no longer be a requirement. It depends on a multitude of factors, of course, but this is fun to talk about. Personally I don't think I'd do another CP but would rather be employed outright, mainly because of the Aspire program.

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts! :)

macefamily

I never participated in the CP (wish I would have), but I got to experience it first hand because my daughter did it in the fall semester of 2018. She was a lifeguard at the Contemporary resort. It was a grind. She also had to work multiple shifts when a hurricane hit that fall. They used all of the CP members to work the resorts to distribute food and water. Disney saves millions every year with the CP so they're going to bring that back as soon as they could.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd say spring/summer 2021. I think things will get way better next year. They also need all the manpower they can for their 50th anniversary since many are planning trips just for that, so DCP folks are needed to do the bulk of the jobs.

You’re still on that “for the 50th”??
...bless your heart, Polly🥰
I never participated in the CP (wish I would have), but I got to experience it first hand because my daughter did it in the fall semester of 2018. She was a lifeguard at the Contemporary resort. It was a grind. She also had to work multiple shifts when a hurricane hit that fall. They used all of the CP members to work the resorts to distribute food and water. Disney saves millions every year with the CP so they're going to bring that back as soon as they could.
...you sure?

macefamily

Yes, but 'as soon as they could' can possibly be the Fall of 2021. It depends on if we get a second wave like Britain is currently experiencing. We picked my daughter up at her CP apartment complex several times which was just off of route 535 back behind Landry's. That complex was always buzzing with students. It was like a small city itself. All cheap labor, and they charged the kids around $100 per week for rent so they were making money there too because they crammed 4 to 6 kids into a small apartment.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Not even going to even try guessing. No one has any idea of when this could happen or any other of the many other items that Disney has postponed. Disneys not going to bring in lots of college kids until they deem there is going to be a need for that many bodies and they can provide safe housing. Even though CP's may give Disney cheap labor, the furloughed workers will provide a safer, productive and consistent job performance that is worth more to them at this point. Even though the CP'ers pay rent, I cant imagine it covers Disneys costs but they make it up in what they provide in hours working. Which means being able to ensure having safe living environments that carry over to the parks. Look at the partying college kids that are not following rules all over and tell me that wont happen at the Disney apts. Its all going to be how to control the teens behavior and be safety driven.

castlecake2.0

What I have heard from a reliable source is that Disney wants the Cultural Representative Program back before the CP. The reason for this is the Q1 Visa. It was made specially for Epcot(and later DAK and even Riviera) to allow them to hire internationals to represent their countries. The fear is the longer Disney goes without using the visa, the more likely the government will revoke it and say it is not needed anymore, severely limiting their ability to staff these areas. So I’d look for CRP to come back before CP/ICP.

The HR/Recruiting team for CP and other Internships is still furloughed with no mention of a re-start date for the CP. And you can't just "turn it back on". It takes months to recruit and prepare for CPs to arrive and they live in high-density dorm-like apartments. I think Spring/Summer 2022 is realistic, considering how Spring/Summer 2021 recruiting should be taking place right now.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Worst two weeks of my life. (Yep. I’m part of that infamous crowd.) Working was a dream. But the roommates were utter trash. And they told me I’d have to pay $200 to relocate with new roommates who may or may not be better. So I went home.

Such a shame really. Working at MK was amazing. But god are those college kids unbearable party goers. day in and day out. Plus the creepy adults art of DCP who should have graduated from it years ago.

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster
Worst two weeks of my life. (Yep. I’m part of that infamous crowd.) Working was a dream. But the roommates were utter trash. And they told me I’d have to pay $200 to relocate with new roommates who may or may not be better. So I went home.

Such a shame really. Working at MK was amazing. But god are those college kids unbearable party goers. day in and day out. Plus the creepy adults art of DCP who should have graduated from it years ago.
Hm, what complex were you in? I was in Vista and it was actually pretty quiet- maybe it was just my building. I didn't like my roommates (complained about a Mickey and Minnie cookie jar I put in the kitchen, then put a nearly nude photo of Harry Styles in the living room).

Also, the transfer fee is weird...I knew about a transfer (not in my apt) and I don't think there was a fee, but that might be because that roommate was, uh, vaguely threatening?

I'm sorry your experience wasn't good! :(

rct247

I think it won't be until 2022 in my opinion. For one, they would need to first ensure every area that normally accepts College Program participants has all their furloughed Cast Members back. There are also a number of Cast that have been brought back but are not in their home locations. They may have been temporarily placed elsewhere right now. Next, there needs to be the need for additional Cast. I can't see them bringing CPs on until all the attractions, shops, restaurants, and resorts have been reopened. Then, we would also need to see a relaxation of social distancing measures. Between the way CPs are housed, to the transportation they ride, to the break space needed for more people all relies on not having to be so distanced apart. Last but not least, Disney has to be ready for the liability. It is one thing to bring Cast Members into work each day, but they don't live on Disney property. CPs are housed by Disney so if there were to be an outbreak of COVID in the CP housing, I can only imagine how they would pan out. Disney will play it safe and probably sit out another year at least. I think it is also safe to assume that with other parks firing their workers, the Central Florida market will be ready to accept new hires before we see CPs return.

WondersOfLife

Hm, what complex were you in? I was in Vista and it was actually pretty quiet- maybe it was just my building. I didn't like my roommates (complained about a Mickey and Minnie cookie jar I put in the kitchen, then put a nearly nude photo of Harry Styles in the living room).

Also, the transfer fee is weird...I knew about a transfer (not in my apt) and I don't think there was a fee, but that might be because that roommate was, uh, vaguely threatening?

I'm sorry your experience wasn't good! :(
I was in Chatham approximately 3 springs ago. I had two roommates. The first roommate was a very openly gay guy. But not the likable kinda guy. He was very toxic and pessimistic. Was always like “Do you actually LIKE Disney?” And I said “Yea I love Disney this is a dream come true!” And all he ever did was complain day in and day out. He left the one bathroom we had an utter mess the whole time. Whenever I had something positive to say, he would shut it down with a negative remark.

The other guy was pretty nerdy and cool. And I feel Like I could Have been good friends with him. But he transferred to a different complex on the third day before I could Remember his name. I knew he hated our roommate and he got into another little click.

I worked Pirates, and my coworkers were a couple of girls who only used me as a ride to work and would never actually hang out with me. (I’m not a dweeb. I have A fiancé now for the record 😂) So coworkers at pirates sucked too. (For the record, we were DEFINITELY not trained properly. Me and my coworker apparently got the worst trainer. Most people flunked under her training but we passed somehow.)

Anyways... I actually ended up having a family emergency back home. And I’d be lying if I said I didnt use that as an excuse to return home.

I’d love to work at Disney full time someday. It was fantastic. But I dont want to ever be involved with DCP again. The students are all so very arrogant, rude, mean, rich boys & girls. They’re not Disney park history geeks either. They’re party people who go out to drink every night and that’s their entire personality. (I HATED THOSE STUPID PARTY BUSSES PARKING OUTSIDE OF CHATHAM EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!!) It was not for me. Not my kinda environment.

I would have stayed if I had My own place. I should have rented my own apartment instead of doing Disney’s dorms. Oh well.

Ive seen people make lifelong friends at DCP. And i know genuinely good fun friendly people who went. But I personally Couldn’t find anyone I could vibe with while I was There. It was the most depressing environment. Half of the people there didn’t even LIKE their jobs. They were just there to party and take a break from college.

Biggest let down of my life.

Lilofan

I was in Chatham approximately 3 springs ago. I had two roommates. The first roommate was a very openly gay guy. But not the likable kinda guy. He was very toxic and pessimistic. Was always like “Do you actually LIKE Disney?” And I said “Yea I love Disney this is a dream come true!” And all he ever did was complain day in and day out. He left the one bathroom we had an utter mess the whole time. Whenever I had something positive to say, he would shut it down with a negative remark.

The other guy was pretty nerdy and cool. And I feel Like I could Have been good friends with him. But he transferred to a different complex on the third day before I could Remember his name. I knew he hated our roommate and he got into another little click.

I worked Pirates, and my coworkers were a couple of girls who only used me as a ride to work and would never actually hang out with me. (I’m not a dweeb. I have A fiancé now for the record 😂) So coworkers at pirates sucked too. (For the record, we were DEFINITELY not trained properly. Me and my coworker apparently got the worst trainer. Most people flunked under her training but we passed somehow.)

Anyways... I actually ended up having a family emergency back home. And I’d be lying if I said I didnt use that as an excuse to return home.

I’d love to work at Disney full time someday. It was fantastic. But I dont want to ever be involved with DCP again. The students are all so very arrogant, rude, mean, rich boys & girls. They’re not Disney park history geeks either. They’re party people who go out to drink every night and that’s their entire personality. (I HATED THOSE STUPID PARTY BUSSES PARKING OUTSIDE OF CHATHAM EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!!) It was not for me. Not my kinda environment.

I would have stayed if I had My own place. I should have rented my own apartment instead of doing Disney’s dorms. Oh well.

Ive seen people make lifelong friends at DCP. And i know genuinely good fun friendly people who went. But I personally Couldn’t find anyone I could vibe with while I was There. It was the most depressing environment. Half of the people there didn’t even LIKE their jobs. They were just there to party and take a break from college.

Those CP party buses probably could tell their own stories on what transpired inside them.

WondersOfLife

Just curious if your program would have been better if he was a very closeted gay guy?
It really doesn't matter to me. I'm a theatre kid, so I'm definitely super accepting.

I only mentioned it because it helps add to the TYPE of negativity. It just comes with the obvious stereotypes.

Delete this if it is too political.

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster

That's crazy. My experience was definitely different. I made multiple friends that were into Disney Parks history, and I only met one or two people on my program that you could catergorize as mean or arrogant (or even rich! I knew quite a few CPs who had never even been to Disney.) I met my boyfriend on my program, and he's one of the biggest Disney Parks geeks you'll ever meet. One of my roommates did frequent a party bus but she never brought it back to the apartment.

I'm so sorry it was a letdown!

WondersOfLife

That's crazy. My experience was definitely different. I made multiple friends that were into Disney Parks history, and I only met one or two people on my program that you could catergorize as mean or arrogant (or even rich! I knew quite a few CPs who had never even been to Disney.) I met my boyfriend on my program, and he's one of the biggest Disney Parks geeks you'll ever meet. One of my roommates did frequent a party bus but she never brought it back to the apartment.

I'm so sorry it was a letdown!
I seriously wish that was the case for me. :(

Rinx

I met my boyfriend on my program, and he's one of the biggest Disney Parks geeks you'll ever meet. One of my roommates did frequent a party bus but she never brought it back to the apartment.
Those CP party buses probably could tell their own stories on what transpired inside them.

I did two CP's (2009 and 2013). Amazing experiences for me (5 roommates in 2009, 1 roommate in 2013). I actually met my wife on the second CP.

As far as the party buses...wow. They were not for me, I never went once. But the stories I've heard would make any parent of those kids absolutely sick. Definitely not appropriate to mention on these forums.

WondersOfLife

As far as the party buses...wow. They were not for me, I never went once. But the stories I've heard would make any parent of those kids absolutely sick. Definitely not appropriate to mention on these forums.
For me, I didn't care what went on in those party busses... My issue with them was that they were parked right outside my dorm blasting loud base music from like midnight to 1 am when I had to get up at 7 am.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom