Retroland As A Fifth Gate...Potential?

NickMaio

Yes, I know that obviously Disney doesn’t have the money for anything right now and this is only blue sky, but what do you guys think of a retro theme park as a fifth gate that consists only of attractions that Disney has shut down, closed, ripped out...whatever. Horizons, Mr. Toad, Great Movie Ride...you know, all of your faves and those attractions that Disney LOVES to sell merch of but kicks us all in the you know whats by shuttering. Could it work? How would the park be laid out? What attractions would you like to see included? Let’s have some fun with this one 😉.
Give me Horizons 2.0 and I'm in for life.
Seriously thought nostalgia park would be amazing.

kwoodfan1

Give me Horizons 2.0 and I'm in for life.
Seriously thought nostalgia park would be amazing.

It seems like every time I try and dip back into nostalgic waters the memory is better than the reality. I was mondo excited to rewatch Captain EO, and was bored after the 5 minute nostalgic high. I couldn't wait to open up my new Nintendo with all the emulated games and after 2 rounds of Carmen San Diego and Super Tecmo Bowl I haven't fired it back up. I have a never ending list of favorited early to mid 90's Disney World Youtube vids that I have watched the first 6 and a half minutes of. And it may sound sacrilegious to say but as much as I miss Horizons now I don't remember loving it as a kid. Maybe its all gone for reason.

...That being said, I'll rescind it all if they bring back Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit.

NickMaio

It seems like every time I try and dip back into nostalgic waters the memory is better than the reality. I was mondo excited to rewatch Captain EO, and was bored after the 5 minute nostalgic high. I couldn't wait to open up my new Nintendo with all the emulated games and after 2 rounds of Carmen San Diego and Super Tecmo Bowl I haven't fired it back up. I have a never ending list of favorited early to mid 90's Disney World Youtube vids that I have watched the first 6 and a half minutes of. And it may sound sacrilegious to say but as much as I miss Horizons now I don't remember loving it as a kid. Maybe its all gone for reason.

...That being said, I'll rescind it all if they bring back Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit.
I could have lived in Horizons.....I loved it so much.
Easily my favourite WDW ride.

rick_

I think having a VR/Motion Simulator opportunity could work. Disney could re-create old rides in Virtual Reality and guests can essentially "upload" the ride they want to experience again. And you can still attach the retro gift shop. This could be a land somewhere, or separate experience in the resort.
If only there were some kind of interactive experience center located in say... a shopping and dining district.

AnonymousStitch

But Disney isnt nostalgic like the fans and once things are hone they are gone forever. So it will never happen.
Tell that to Disney Plus. That streaming proved otherwise that Disney is and can so be nostalgic too. The revival of the Proud Family is proof of that. You don't know what will never happen anyway. And on the contrary, those attractions are all not gone forever. Old attractions were known to return on occasions and for whatever reason. We seen it happen. Remember, they bought back the original Tiki Room show back in Disney world and they occasionally bought back Captain Eo back for a while. Just to be fair and real here.

JIMINYCR

Tell that to Disney Plus. That streaming proved otherwise that Disney is and can so be nostalgic too. The revival of the Proud Family is proof of that. You don't know what will never happen anyway. And on the contrary, those attractions are all not gone forever. Old attractions were known to return on occasions and for whatever reason. We seen it happen. Remember, they bought back the original Tiki Room show back in Disney world and they occasionally bought back Captain Eo back for a while. Just to be fair and real here.
Yes... Lets be real.... Disney has trashed so many of the fans real favorites and they will never be back. Ride components have been destroyed and theres no room for them anymore. Disney has a " lets move on" attitude. When its gone its gone. Tiki was never gone forever, the original concept was altered and then brought back, so it doesnt really fit into the extinct category. Capt EO was brought back in response to and to pay homage to MJ after his death and give his fans some solace to return to. When 20000 leagues and Horizon return I will say you are right.
I wasnt talking about Disney+ but as you included it, they only added these in for programming fillers. Still much of the fan favorites we are really nostalgic for have not been brought back and probably will not, unless they see subscribers are getting tired of the existing content and are leaving.
All you have to do is look back at how Disney over time has responded to fans petitions and repeated calls to bring back beloved attractions to see how callous and uncaring they are to guests wishes.

AnonymousStitch

Yes... Lets be real.... Disney has trashed so many of the fans real favorites and they will never be back. Ride components have been destroyed and theres no room for them anymore. Disney has a " lets move on" attitude. When its gone its gone. Tiki was never gone forever, the original concept was altered and then brought back, so it doesnt really fit into the extinct category.
You seem to have missed most of my points here. I said the old Tiki Room version was gone when they altered it by adding Iago and Zazu came in, until later on after some incidents, the original came back. The ogival concept being altered counts as being gone (for a while) and was somewhat the same.
Capt EO was brought back in response to and to pay homage to MJ after his death and give his fans some solace to return to. When 20000 leagues and Horizon return I will say you are right.
It doesn't matter. It still may involve Nostalgia in them. And it wasn't the only thing that happened. In DL in California, they briefly bought back the California adventure for a while. Another proof of nostalgia is that Disney animators, by showing respect for the first movie of Mary Poppins (excluding former CEO Bob Iger for how he was handingling stuff) has persuaded the former CEO to have hand drawn animation in it's sequel. That's a living proof of Disney Nostalgia. And I can't say for sure what would happen, but I know for a fact that anything is possible and I'm not a skeptical person, who over-doubts things because skeptics for centuries were never right when they don't know what will happen. Sorry to point this out.
I wasnt talking about Disney+ but as you included it, they only added these in for programming fillers. Still much of the fan favorites we are really nostalgic for have not been brought back and probably will not, unless they see subscribers are getting tired of the existing content and are leaving.
I never said you mentioned D+. And that's not the point I was telling you about. I was merely pointing out and giving examples of the opposite of you saying Disney is not Nostalgic. That's merely it.
All you have to do is look back at how Disney over time has responded to fans petitions and repeated calls to bring back beloved attractions to see how callous and uncaring they are to guests wishes.
That's not the point I was making. And I don't need to look back. I've already seen them so many times before. I am a web explorer in a way. To be fair, I wouldn't be to sure or bet on all of them being callous and uncaring (except may people like Bob Iger).

danyoung56

This would really open up a can of worms, as people started to gripe about their favorite attraction - "Hey, you know that living room scene in Horizons that used to have 15 steps up to the 2nd story? Now it only has 14. DISNEY SUCKS!!!!!"

Pepper's Ghost

So, to be fair, to run a program, movie, or cartoon on a streaming service costs next to nothing whether it's for nostalgia or otherwise. To bring back an attraction that Disney decided to dismantle and discard would cost tens of millions on the low end. To build a park around the concept, while I'd hope otherwise, would never happen.

You're comparing a pebble to a mountain. They both might be made by the same ingredients, but aren't anywhere close to the same thing. Nostalgic streaming is not the same as nostalgic ride or park creation.

AnonymousStitch

So, to be fair, to run a program, movie, or cartoon on a streaming service costs next to nothing whether it's for nostalgia or otherwise. To bring back an attraction that Disney decided to dismantle and discard would cost tens of millions on the low end.
There's nothing to be fair. You're missing my points. Things that Disney may have dismantled have been known to return once or multiple times. We read or seen it happen. Like they did with Sourin' Over California on California Adventure, despite the building being still around for the recent version, before it was gone again (for now). That wasn't fairness you are making.
To build a park around the concept, while I'd hope otherwise, would never happen.
You don't know what will happen or not. That's just an unfair quick conclusion. Besides, they already just did bring back a few old attractions, which I or others have already pointed out above. We seen it.
You're comparing a pebble to a mountain. They both might be made by the same ingredients, but aren't anywhere close to the same thing. Nostalgic streaming is not the same as nostalgic ride or park creation.
That's not true. I did not compare anything. Again, you missed the whole point. I was not talking about streaming being nostalgic or a park attraction being nostalgic. I was telling that Disney can so have nostalgia in them for anything in their property. And don't you put words or lies into my mouth which is not what I was saying. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

There's nothing to be fair. You're missing my points. Things that Disney may have dismantled have been known to return once or multiple times. We read or seen it happen. Like they did with Sourin' Over California on California Adventure, despite the building being still around for the recent version, before it was gone again (for now). That wasn't fairness you are making.

You don't know what will happen or not. That's just an unfair quick conclusion. Besides, they already just did bring back a few old attractions, which I or others have already pointed out above. We seen it.

That's not true. I did not compare anything. Again, you missed the whole point. I was not talking about streaming being nostalgic or a park attraction being nostalgic. I was telling that Disney can so have nostalgia in them for anything in their property. And don't you put words or lies into my mouth which is not what I was saying. Thank you very much.
Wow. Chill out dude. It's a discussion, not a personal attack. Honestly, the subject doesn't mean enough to me to make you so effing upset, so I'll bow out to your correct opinion, and my obviously incorrect opinion.

AnonymousStitch

Wow. Chill out dude. It's a discussion, not a personal attack. Honestly, the subject doesn't mean enough to me to make you so effing upset, so I'll bow out to your correct opinion, and my obviously incorrect opinion.
I'm not making a personal attack. Just telling info and I wasn't upset about anything, except for being misinterpreted a bit. And that wasn't a correct opinion I was making.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom