Retroland As A Fifth Gate...Potential?

ElvisMickey

Original Poster
Yes, I know that obviously Disney doesn’t have the money for anything right now and this is only blue sky, but what do you guys think of a retro theme park as a fifth gate that consists only of attractions that Disney has shut down, closed, ripped out...whatever. Horizons, Mr. Toad, Great Movie Ride...you know, all of your faves and those attractions that Disney LOVES to sell merch of but kicks us all in the you know whats by shuttering. Could it work? How would the park be laid out? What attractions would you like to see included? Let’s have some fun with this one 😉.

Last edited:

Moka

Don't know. Some people are nostalgia blind and will realize it wasn't as good as they remember. Not saying all of them deserved to be scrapped at the time they were, but yeah. It'll be cool but not for very long.

Disstevefan1

Yes, I know that obviously Disney doesn’t have the money for anything right now and this is only blue sky, but what do you guys think of a retro theme park as a fifth gate that consists only of attractions that Disney has shut down, closed, ripped out...whatever. Horizons, Mr. Toad, Great Movie Ride...you know, all of your faves and those attractions that Disney LOVES to sell merch of but kicks us all in the you know whats by shuttering. Could it work? How would the park be laid out? What attractions would you like to see included? Let’s have some fun with this one 😉.

I would love retroland!!! You had me at Horizons.

Pepper's Ghost

While this would be excellent, never gonna happen. Why rip rides out of one place, and spend billions to rebuild them in another. So from a reality standpoint, nope.

Now, just for fun, that'd be pretty frickin cool! Not too many rides have been sunset since my first time to Disney in 2000, but I'd love to try my hand at so many rides I never got to see as mentioned.

How about a comeback of Alien Encounter!?! I'm in for that one. Soarin' Over California anyone? Absolutely for the Great Movie Ride, and I'd love to ride the Backlot Tour again. I miss all of those so much.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Conceptually it'd be fun to walk around a park with Toad, If You Had Wings, Snow White, Horizons, The Original Imagination, GMR, Backlot, 20k, World of Motion etc. I'd love to do it for a day or two. It'd have to be in one park with maybe an attached Water Park (River Country) and drinking establishment (Adventurers Club).

But it couldn't work.

In order to "re-create" the rides they'll first have to make a decision.

a) do we ignore current technology and actually replicate the ride in it's original form? Which will create additional cost both in constructing and in maintaining said attractions. Considering the technology they would be using may be cumbersome, expensive, outdated, and in some cases no longer available, it's just going to cost too much.

b) do we use newer technology to enhance these older attractions and be able to keep a grasp on construction and maintenance costs. - In which case it's not the same ride. It may look similar to the old ride, but it is in essence a new variation of an old ride. Which defeats the purpose.

Pepper's Ghost

Agreed that they would NEVER do this! But hell, let’s bring back the mule pack from 1955 Disneyland 😜

🤣🤣🤣🙃
mules.jpg

1971-gettyimages-169627312.jpg

Pepper's Ghost

As much as I like many of the old attractions mentioned here, and I like a lot of them a lot, there was a reason Mickey closed them.
I was gonna say this, but I think this is a pie in the sky thread. I don't think it's a serious request. I could be wrong, and if I am I agree with you. 😁

ElvisMickey

Original Poster
As others have said it would be the most popular of all the parks, Just imagine WDW ---Mr Toad, AE, 20000 Thousand leagues, Back Lot, Snow white, Original universe of Energy, GMR, etc etc We can only dream and remember

This is exactly what I’m talking about! And yeah, if we’re talking about the pack mules, there’s a reason why Disney got rid of THAT. But you can’t tell me that the current version of Journey Into Imagination is better than the original. So Disney has made some really dumb moves over the years!

JIMINYCR

It would be great ( and simple ) to have a shop with merchandise available to buy from past times for sale. Guests would enjoy having the ability to collect some memorabilia from the past.
I surely would love to have some of my old favorites come back and have some extinct attractions I was never fortunate to do reappear. Among my wants... I'd enjoy having Alien Encounter, 20000 Leagues, Mr Toad, Timekeeper, GMR.
But Disney isnt nostalgic like the fans and once things are hone they are gone forever. So it will never happen.

cookiee_munster

it would literally only be full of enthusiasts. the general public want whats current and wouldnt feel the appeal to goto a park full of rides that were built way back when. nice idea though :)

Paper straw fan

I love the idea, and have suggested it before here and discussing with WDW fans I know. (My wife is not a believer) if...deep breath...they could pitch it as maybe a budget park, that’s maybe a bit less expensive, fill it with new versions of classic rides (maybe include some original items and artwork for authenticity’s sake) and, it perhaps gives some of the veteran Imagineers a chance to make something new that still has a 1970’s vibe and theme to it, or even something relatively simple by comparison, but with a newer IP vibe. Also if a beloved ride still in the parks gets put out to pasture in the 4 main parks, maybe there’s a simple answer there as to moving it to Retro Disney and you can build your House from UP balloon ride’ in its wake.

As to whether or not this is ‘serious’, well, I mean I’m not chaining myself to the Carousel of progress until my demand is met, but if I was pulled into a room and asked for ideas for WDW, and either I or someone else said this, I would support it without a hint of a joke, even knowing it’s a long shot. But it’s good, and frankly fun, to have these talks.
Long story short, I’m IN!

Last edited:

Mr Mindcrime

Once you get past the nostalgia part of recreating an older attraction, you'd probably struggle if the attraction was built just as it was "way back when". Mr. Toad has lots of nostalgia for me as I was a MK park goer back from the beginning. But the reality is, by today's standards, it really doesn't hold up.

Now, if the Imagineers were to really be allowed to be creative and use today's technology who knows what would be possible. The imagineering that went into attractions early in Disney's history was beautifully creative and entertaining and imaginative. Walt challenged WDI and gave them the freedom to create and WDI had the talent to deliver.

A question I might have is, IF @realBobChapek were to give total freedom to WDI to create a new attraction or re-create an older attraction, IP or not, could the modern day WDI deliver the same quality and creativity as their forefathers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom