Restaurant cutbacks/changes...

Lola42

The most disappointing change for me has been in the Cape May Cafe dinner buffet. It's a shadow of it's former self, with many fewer offerings. I used to be spoiled for choice there, but last time I had a hard time finding anything I really wanted. The worst thing was that the ribs disappeared. From what I have read, they never came back. We always ate at Cape May, dating back as long as I can remember, but we've skipped it our last two trips.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here's my take on it. DDP in general results in a more streamlined, "dumbed down" and generic menu. You can't have one place having significantly more expensive items than others or there will be a run on that restaurant. Items have to fit into pre-set buckets. DDP when it first came out was not as widespread. When they started replacing room rate discounts with free DDP a lot more people started experiencing DDP and table service restaurants. Now even when DDP isn't offered free a lot of people still buy it because that is what they have become accustomed to. Now DDP is so popular that it dominates the restaurant scene. You can't get a walk up table at a lot of restaurants. The menus are a lot more similar. Outside of signatures, restaurants all have a strip steak priced about the same. Without the limits of DDP some might offer a more expensive cut of steak at a higher price. Now since a large portion of customers have already prepaid for their meals there is less of an incentive to offer extras to draw guests in.

disney4life2008

Burgers and fries are going for $10 base - then they have the add ons like shrimp or pork meat and it goes up to $12. Chicken nuggets and fries go for $8. These prices are not too bad and on par with Chilis/Friday's etc. But if they exceed that - then we will have a problem.

Speaking of food - where in disney can you get stir fry? If its one thing that is missing on all of disney property is a Flat Top Grill type place.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Absolutely I love the asian spot - well I love the entire food court. But I am referring more to a make your own stir fry type place.

You mean like a hibachi style place like Benihana? I think they have one in Japan at EPCOT.

Edit: never mind. I looked up flat top grill. It would be cool to have a place like that. Maybe in Disney Springs. They seem to be adding a lot of restaurants.

PAW PAW 70

Last year at OHANA SALAD WAS OK but table service bad. Had to use salad bowl for our trash and no one came to pick up. Had a nice bowl of yuk. The pork had raw pieces which wasn't very nice. Gluten for punishment going back NOV.

laynalee07

Original Poster
This salad from 'Ohana looks terrible. I really liked the salad I got there the last time. I hope this isn't what I get in June. If it is I guess I will just have to skip the salad and eat more chicken wings.
The orignal salad is still there... This is just some new "sprout" salad they have added.

alawrence

Last year at OHANA SALAD WAS OK but table service bad. Had to use salad bowl for our trash and no one came to pick up. Had a nice bowl of yuk. The pork had raw pieces which wasn't very nice. Gluten for punishment going back NOV.

I am the OP's husband. I must admit we did not have the best server that we have had before.

People that were sat well after us had their salads and dumplings well before us. And, when he brought us our check, he literally walked by our table and "tossed" it at us. He didn't say a word.

Maybe it was because we are Tables In Wonderland holders, and he knew he had a guaranteed tip. I don't know.

Last edited:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I am the OP's husband. I must admit we did not have the best server that we have had before.

People that were sat well after us had their salads and dumplings well before us. And, when he brought us our check, he literally walked by our table and "tossed" it at us. He didn't say a word.

Maybe it was because we are Tables In Wonderland holders, and he knew he had a guaranteed tip. I don't know.
Just curious, if you are a TiW member, do you have to inform the waiter beforehand?

disney4life2008

You mean like a hibachi style place like Benihana? I think they have one in Japan at EPCOT.

Edit: never mind. I looked up flat top grill. It would be cool to have a place like that. Maybe in Disney Springs. They seem to be adding a lot of restaurants.

A flat top grill/stir crazy would be an excellent additon to disney springs. It is quick and easy as well and im sure lots of people would go. I definately would.

unkadug

You don't have to. I usually don't, because the times that I have service has been less than stellar ;)
So it seems to me that the ideal situation would be to go as if you are a cash paying guest and when they bring out the bill then pull out your TiW card...or would that not work?

The server still gets their money and the guest still gets their service.

According to the FAQ page I don't see why this wouldn't work...I don't see anywhere that says you must inform the server ahead of time.

http://tablesinwonderland.com/

Tuvalu

Premium Member
So it seems to me that the ideal situation would be to go as if you are a cash paying guest and when they bring out the bill then pull out your TiW card...or would that not work?

The server still gets their money and the guest still gets their service.

According to the FAQ page I don't see why this wouldn't work...I don't see anywhere that says you must inform the server ahead of time.

http://tablesinwonderland.com/
I do this all the time. They always ask, "Are you on a dining plan?" and I reply "no." I do not volunteer that I have TiW and I am never asked. I may mention I have TiW after our meal is over and the server will take my card at that time so the transaction doesn't have to be done twice.

unkadug

AMEN. Think of your local Hospital... they need "this much" to survive. Whenever they get nailed, cost wise? They increase the costs for those who DO pay...

There is a second SIGNIFICANT DDP effect: NOTHING can appear on the menu that runs over 2 points in remuneration. This effectively "clips" the ability of a fine restaurant to publicly offer a higher end meal - even to those willing to PAY for it.

Fortunately, there are two solutions....

1) Change the terms of DDP: Prix Fixe the menu at a SIG to 2 DDP points - with cash add ons for upgrades (very similar to the Victoria & Albert model).

2) From the consumer end: when SIGS cease to be SIGS? Hit the non Disney owned restaurants. There are MANY on property: Shula's, Fulton's Crab House, Il Mulino. When these run out? Factor in the cost of a 2-way cab ride to OFF property Signature Restaurants. We are rapidly approaching the point where that cab ride, combined with better rates, meets or beats the on Property Disney cost.
Prix Fixe would NEVER work at Disney....to many picky eaters and too many people with food allergies.

copcarguyp71

We were pretty disappointed in the dumbed down menu at Garden Grille on our last trip in Sept 2013. The last time we dined there previous was in 2006 (which was an excellent experience) and when we went last year the whole "here it is...hope u like it" dinner was anti climactic and even though the food was fresh it really did not appeal all that much to us.

I suppose we could have (and should have) looked at the menu before booking ADR's so some blame has to fall on us but boy, what a change in 8 years.

Mickey did sit down and join me while DW and DD were in the bathroom and even did some of the games on DD's placemat which was certainly good fun and the CM in the suit and I had a good time with it (great photo ops) but the food should be a whole lot better and have more of a selection than what is offered IMO for a character meal at a restaurant like that.

alawrence

Just curious, if you are a TiW member, do you have to inform the waiter beforehand?

I guess you don't have to tell them, but when you check in they ask if you are in a dining plan or tables in wonderland. I guess after reading some of these posts, I should just say no.

unkadug

Soooo - nobody eats at Victoria & Albert's? They are Prix Fixe, with "add ons". And they seem to deal very nicely with food allergies :).
But can you imagine the wait times if every chef had to deal with every picky eater at every restaurant for Prix Fixe to be put into effect? It would no longer be Prix Fixe but back to Ala Carte.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom