Restaurant cutbacks/changes...

laynalee07

Original Poster
Ok, so I am currently at the world and I have had three instances now that have kind of irked me.
First, went to Ohana for dinner
Thursday night and was disappointed about the chicken being absent from the meal. (I was already prepared for this as I had read about it, but it still bothered me!) On a somewhat more positive note though, having the chicken wings still helps a little(a least there is still some chicken)
Ok, moving on to lunch Friday at Le Cellier. My favorite meal in all of WDW was the filet with mushroom risotto. Once again I sat there staring at the menu annoyed at Disney for making these changes. Haha.
Since I HATE the taste of English peas (and that is what they replaced the mushroom risotto with) I was super leery to pay $46 for something I may not like so my husband ordered it and thank goodness he did. I thought it was awful and he loved it. (So nobody take my judgement to heart to much, I seriously loathe peas)
I ended up getting the pasta. It was "meh". So I was pretty disappointed in the whole meal (except for the pretzel bread-delish!)
Ok today, dinner at Rose and Crown. I don't know how many of you guys are big bread eaters, but I almost love the bread before meals as much or more than the actual meal! Ha
Well if you are like me, you will be angry to know they no longer serve their bread anymore. That just did me in!
DISNEY, STOP MESSING WITH OUR FOOD!!!!!!

Last edited:

Dwarful

I too LOVE the bread....so this will be annoying to me for sure. The little changes become big changes and that's not always good. Sorry to hear three meals were disappointing...even if you were prepared for some...hearing it is one thing...experiencing it something different. :(

s&k'smom

Bread is always best part of the meal, first time at R&C they had these wonderful warm rolls and I was dipping them in the potato leek soup, Wow was it good.

copcarguyp71

You can thank: The Disney Dining Plan and Free dining for the changes.

IMO we (the customers) are the ones to blame...continuing to fork over increasingly high prices for diminished experiences only serves to reinforce that management can do whatever they want and we will still keep coming back like mindless cattle. I do agree that DDP has contributed to the downturn but the lionshare of blame rests with the people we see in the mirror. We will go back time and again only to be disappointed in one thing or another...BUT we do still go back and until that changes they have absolutely no reason to think that they cannot squeeze us harder and give us less.

harveyt0206

I too "loathe" peas..at least cooked. I can do pea pods in a salad, but that's about it and my husband makes fun of me because I totally judge a restaurant by the bread and butter they serve, so you aren't alone. It's a shame that these changes are most likely a result of the dining plan. The dining plan is not perfect, but neither is paying out of pocket at current prices. $46 is expensive, but if there were no dining plan, then Le Cellier would probably return to its "Signature" status. But I believe Disney is trying to appeal to everyone and in the process ends up pleasing very, very few. Thanks for the update. Especially on O'Hana. I thought it was mentioned that the loss of the chicken was temporary, but sounds like it may be a little more permanent.

lostpro9het

First, went to Ohana for dinner
Thursday night and was disappointed about the chicken being absent from the meal. (I was already prepared for this as I had read about it, but it still bothered me!) On a somewhat more positive note though, having the chicken wings still helps a little(a least there is still some chicken!

Especially on O'Hana. I thought it was mentioned that the loss of the chicken was temporary, but sounds like it may be a little more permanent.

Well just 8 days ago they had the grilled chicken so I figured it was back.

laynalee07

Original Poster
Hopefully the chicken will be back. I should have asked about it but I didn't.:(
They did have something new to the menu that I had never had before. It was some kind of salad. It's served cold and to me tasted to "green". Haha
Husband and I both thought it tasted like we were eating grass or something of the sort. Here's a picture of it...

image.jpg

Dwarful

IMO we (the customers) are the ones to blame...continuing to fork over increasingly high prices for diminished experiences only serves to reinforce that management can do whatever they want and we will still keep coming back like mindless cattle. I do agree that DDP has contributed to the downturn but the lionshare of blame rests with the people we see in the mirror. We will go back time and again only to be disappointed in one thing or another...BUT we do still go back and until that changes they have absolutely no reason to think that they cannot squeeze us harder and give us less.

I agree. Our upcoming trip is for 8 nights. We have TS meals 4. The places that used to be 'a must' for us have changed so much...like Le Cellier that we no longer bother with those. I have a budget, I stick to the budget, if they keep increasing prices and lowering quality I will not continue to give my money over freely. We are not doing DDP. I wonder what percentage of onsite guests use DDP.

Plowboy

I agree. Our upcoming trip is for 8 nights. We have TS meals 4. The places that used to be 'a must' for us have changed so much...like Le Cellier that we no longer bother with those. I have a budget, I stick to the budget, if they keep increasing prices and lowering quality I will not continue to give my money over freely. We are not doing DDP. I wonder what percentage of onsite guests use DDP.

I too share a concern over falling quality and rising prices. We did the DDP once, and would not do it again. It's just too much food. We try to enjoy one TS meal a day and other than that we wing it.

What's next, no sauerkraut at the Biergarten?, no dim sum at China? I can't wait to see what the "great minds" that run our beloved Disney come up with.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Hopefully the chicken will be back. I should have asked about it but I didn't.:(
They did have something new to the menu that I had never had before. It was some kind of salad. It's served cold and to me tasted to "green". Haha
Husband and I both thought it tasted like we were eating grass or something of the sort. Here's a picture of it...

View attachment 53345

This salad from 'Ohana looks terrible. I really liked the salad I got there the last time. I hope this isn't what I get in June. If it is I guess I will just have to skip the salad and eat more chicken wings.

disney4life2008

Based on the people on this board - I would say absolutely yes. For me, I am not into TS places to begin with at disney. I have always felt they are overpriced for the amount of food (not quality) that you get. The only place that will ruffle me is Ohana - and if they remove anything (I am fine with the chicken grill being off as long as wontons, wings, and noodles remain) I have no problem giving my business elsewhere. This is one reason I stay offsite - not only is it cheaper but I can eat to my hearts content at orlando resturants nearly half the price of disney

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Except that the person said FREE dining. See post #3.

And they can't raise the prices of food? What the hell would they cost if they could, the same as the tickets? Is $25 for a steak not enough?
They can't raise the cost of the food if they are giving it away.

draybook

Well, good thing they've jacked up parking, admission, resort, special event and AP prices to make up for that.

I'm trying to understand the history of it. For instance, I was under the impression that FD was brought along to increase the attendance during off-peak seasons? Is that correct?

I can see how streamlining the food choices would save costs though. Luckily for us, we're pretty simple eaters so it doesn't really affect us. However, I would like to try some different stuff this year. I'm just going to try some of the snacks in Epcot and see how I like things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom