Restaurant capacity and live entertainment restrictions are currently limiting Walt Disney World theme park attendance according to Bob Chapek

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Attendance is still down from 2019. Resorts are still closed and Restaurants and shows are still closed. Yet, Parks and Resorts still made 1.55 billion. Just think what that means when everything is open. Parks and Resorts will soon make over $8 billion a year and that is without any new expansion and only 1 water park open. Putting this in another light, the combined market cap of Seaworld, Six Flags and Cedar Fair as of yesterdays close was 12.3 billion.
Woah woah

that’s assuming no extenuating circumstances

we are NOT in a vacuum…never been in less of one

Lilofan

Attendance is still down from 2019. Resorts are still closed and Restaurants and shows are still closed. Yet, Parks and Resorts still made 1.55 billion. Just think what that means when everything is open. Parks and Resorts will soon make over $8 billion a year and that is without any new expansion and only 1 water park open. Putting this in another light, the combined market cap of Seaworld, Six Flags and Cedar Fair as of yesterdays close was 12.3 billion.
Also Merchandise was not even fully operational. A number of stores at DHS are still closed so the profits could have been more. Many have accepted to pay higher prices and continue to do so. The credit card debt in our country must be enormous.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also Merchandise was not even fully operational. A number of stores at DHS are still closed so the profits could have been more. Many have accepted to pay higher prices and continue to do so. The credit card debt in our country must be enormous.
Yes…but those stores are completely redundant

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’m wondering how limited park capacity truly is right now. A few weeks back, there wasn’t a single day the rest of the year that was even yellow on the Park Reservations site, no matter which option you chose. Either park capacity has been increased or enough people aren’t booking park reservations to “sell out” even one park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m wondering how limited park capacity truly is right now. A few weeks back, there wasn’t a single day the rest of the year that was even yellow on the Park Reservations site, no matter which option you chose. Either park capacity has been increased or enough people aren’t booking park reservations to “sell out” even one park.
I’m guessing it’s both:

“restrictions” are that in name only…and their bookings are down due to lingering covid effect and price increases

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’m guessing it’s both:

“restrictions” are that in name only…and their bookings are down due to lingering covid effect and price increases

FTFY. ;)

Didn't you listen to Bob and Christine? Disney has all the pricing power. Consumers love Disney's prices and are clamoring to pay more, particularly now that they don't have to interact with the human being! (Ok, one part of that may be made up. I'll let the readers decide which part. Or is any of it made up? Hmmm...)

Either way, I agree, the "restrictions" are, for all intents and purposes, just words used now. I may be totally wrong, and am happy to stand corrected if I am.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
FTFY. ;)

Didn't you listen to Bob and Christine? Disney has all the pricing power. Consumers love Disney's prices and are clamoring to pay more, particularly now that they don't have to interact with the human being! (Ok, one part of that may be made up. I'll let the readers decide which part. Or is any of it made up? Hmmm...)

Either way, I agree, the "restrictions" are, for all intents and purposes, just words used now. I may be totally wrong, and am happy to stand corrected if I am.
Oh I heard it…

but I have this annoying habit of hearing the unsaid and being proven right about it later…

I have witnesses.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Oh I heard it…

but I have this annoying habit of hearing the unsaid and being proven right about it later…

I have witnesses.

The best questions are the ones they aren't 100% prepared for, because then you get raw thoughts without a filter, at least with $lappie and the CFO. And those moments are when you hear their true intentions.

disneyflush

All of their opinions and statements are just noise at this point. They'll rip out their customers' hearts if they can charge them for it. The compensation system rewards profits. Shortsighted, longsighted, it doesn't matter. People will not stop selling out the park attendance. If everyone had to take 10 lashes on top of their ticket price it wouldn't stop them. Invisible magic is THE drug, the all-powerful, all-everything that drags these people out of bed in the morning and through another hellish day outside of the theme parks. Raising ticket prices makes them giggle in anticipation that maybe less OTHER people will be there now. The price hikes just give them another chance to be special. Such a big fan, such a big DISNEY person, you guys just wouldn't understand, of course I'll pay it, its not even really a choice with me lol. You know people call me for advice on their trips right? Whats another thousand bucks really, Adele tickets are $1,000 each and sold out in a few minutes for months of shows. Its like, everything is sooo expensive now. YOLO!

They have an army of people applying for yet another credit card to finance another escape from their reality. The price of their happiness can't be measured with dollars or debts you simpletons. They DESERVE an annual trip. They plan better than anyone else and have you even seen their trip reports? Amazing! They feel that cold sweat when opening those credit card bills each month but fight it off with another perfect Facebook vacation photo blast of dopamine. Its a maniacal game of financial musical chairs at this point. They pay the going rate year after year while eyeing their competition inside the parks waiting to see who blinks first and decides its not financially feasible to keep up this lifestyle. If they can just keep making it work, scratching and saving for another 7 nights respite from kids' homework, PTA, their minivan needing a major tune-up, refrigerator not looking so great, spouse that goes on and onnn about how they should try a new place that is a bit cheaper. Like that would even be magical. Disney will soon push it too far, make it too expensive. Attendance will drop to a comfortable level again and our heroes will smile as the execs scream at each other for being so foolish for so long. Prices will go back to sensible you'll see. These heroes don't care about the food quality, or the redundant merchandise everywhere, or employee morale, or the costs of the resorts. They will push through the financial pain imposed by the suits in the ivory towers as a show of strength and devotion. My Disney fandom is so much more powerful than their rising prices.

Goofnut1980

I agree, that some idea of crowds numbers would have helped. Touring Plans crowds calculator had parks at 2's and 3's and waits were out of sight. We were there the first week in December which is typically a fairly slow time of the year. Unfortunately it reminded me more of Thanksgiving week with the crowds and wait times. Everything was extremely busy and had large lines from QS locations to restrooms. When you are waiting 50 minutes for TTA, you know it is a little busy. I think Chappy is full of s**t! The 10 days we were there still had park ressies available the entire time and the parks were insane. I do not see any limiting of guests being done. The only limiting that I saw was guest services because of high crowds and limited staffing. Worst trip we have done. I cannot see going back until Disney can get their operations back in stride.
We were there December 3-11 and it was stupid! I agree with you he is nuts and you can't tell me they aren't allowing 80,000 people in the park.

WDW Pro

I’m not @lentesta, but his Touring Plans folks have documented the disparity between posted times and actual wait times. Interestingly, Defunctland’s magnum opus on FastPass noted that this difference seemed to grow greatly way back when Disney started allowing guests to view wait times on their phones.

What’s in question is the reason times are different. Some will say it’s “under promise/over deliver” so guests will be happier when the wait is shorter. Some say it’s to gently direct guests to/from certain attractions. Others say it to guide people to purchase Genie+. I would guess the truth is a combination of many factors.

Edit: here are some of TP’s articles on posted vs. actual wait times:

Thank you for this. I'll reach out to Lentesta.

fgmnt

I don't have hard data to back up this assumption, but lines look longer now because Genie+ uptake is nowhere near FP+ uptake, while attendance has increased significantly since the debut of FP+. There is no queue built on property designed to handle the large number of standby guests. A 2 hour line in 2019 and a 2 hour line in 2021 do not have nearly equivalent amounts of people in them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
"and I think guaranteeing our guests that they have a great experience no matter when they come"

I LOL'd on that one. I like how Bob spun his inability to staff and supply the place into a 'restrictions holding us back' message. I'm shocked he didn't just say "once we can get staffed up we'll be able to make a lot more money and get more customers in the door'. I mean, that's what he means...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom