Resorts at Christmas

thrupaytonseyes

Hi all-

We just booked a trip using the free dining offer! YIPPEEE!!!! We will be there Dec 17-21 staying at Pop.

Anyway, we are planning on going to MVMCP on the 18th. We figured we would spend the earlier part of the day before we can get in to MK resort hopping. We talk about doing this year after year and have yet to do so. I am excited that we are finally doing it.

On to my question now after lots of babbling:

Which resorts are a must to visit for the decorations?

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Every resort is done beautifully for the Holiday's, but most definitely plan on spending time at the Grand Floridian! I believe that's where they have the Ginger Bread set ups they show on the Travel Channel Samantha Brown special.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

My suggestion would be to take the bus to MK in the morning, but don't go into MK. Walk to Contemporary, look around, then take the monorail to Poly, look around, then take the monorail to GF, sight see. If you're doing quick lookyloos and you've got gobs of extra time, take a bus from GF to DHS, then water launch to the Epcot resorts and look around there. Plan to have lunch at one of the resorts. And when the time is right, whichever resort your'e currently touring, take a bus from there BACK to MK.

You can also flip that suggestion over. Start by busing to DHS and taking a water launch to the Epcot resorts, THEN bus from there to MK and tour the monorail resorts. The other suggestion would be take a water launch from MK to Wilderness Lodge, which is supposed to be one of the really beautiful resorts to visit during the holidays. My family & I are planning on eating a late lunch at Whispering Canyon the day we have tix for MVMCP. By the time we're done eating, we'll be able to hop on a water launch back to MK, and walk in using our Party tickets.

Upvote 0

thrupaytonseyes

Original Poster
I should have added that we have reservations for Chef Mickey's that day at 10:35(it was that or 7 am...no thank you).

So I know we will definately do GF...I have always wanted to see the gingerbread houses that I have seen on all the travel channel shows.

So maybe head over to Epcot resorts, then to CM, then around the monorail resorts

Just the Epcot resorts and MK resorts are the real not to be missed resorts?

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

The Grand Floridian, Contemporary, and the Wilderness Lodge are good.

Not sure if the others are worth the time to go there.

BTW- There is also a ginger bread house in the restaurant at the American Adventure in EPCOT. Not as large as the one at the GF but worth seeing.

:xmas::xmas:

Upvote 0

bfbulldog

Hi all-

We just booked a trip using the free dining offer! YIPPEEE!!!! We will be there Dec 17-21 staying at Pop.

Anyway, we are planning on going to MVMCP on the 18th. We figured we would spend the earlier part of the day before we can get in to MK resort hopping. We talk about doing this year after year and have yet to do so. I am excited that we are finally doing it.

On to my question now after lots of babbling:

Which resorts are a must to visit for the decorations?

How did you get free dining for that time period??

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Some time in the next month or so - the Christmas Disney specials will start on the Food Channel and Travel Channel. One is with Samantha Brown and the other is with Raven Simone. They go through the resorts and show you all the resorts! It's great stuff! Big things to hit - YC, AK, WL, GF are the big ones. Every resort will be decorated though. It is amazing. I highly suggest trying to plan a course to hit the major ones - it is totally worth it! :O) Have fun!! :xmas:

Upvote 0
I definetly recomment the WL and GF. They were both something to see when I went in Dec 2000. I also visited the Boardwalk that trip. It wasn't as Christmas-y, but still something to see.

I'll be there this December and we'll get to check out the Polynesian and the Yacht Club since we will be eating at both. We'll probably still try to swing by the GF to check out the Gingerbread house. :xmas:

Upvote 0

thrupaytonseyes

Original Poster
Thanks everbody.:wave:

I got an email and a postcard with pins for free dining. I also got an offer for it through my Disney Visa but had already booked by the time I knew about it through that.

I have watched the specials and plan to watch them again when they come out. I was just wondering which ones everybody on here thought were truly a site to see.

Upvote 0

Bug715

Try to go ride the buses through Fort Wilderness. My friend and I went to Hoop De Doo Revue the second week of December last year and most of the RVs had christmas decorations out. It was really fun to see.

Upvote 0

Teenchy

Agree with all the others that you should see as many of the resorts a possible. Even POFQ & other moderates have nice decorations, the only ones I have not visited are the value resorts. Dolphin & Swan are also beautiful.

See this link for some more details.
http://allears.net/tp/holiday.htm

No better time to visit WDW....have fun. :xmas:

Upvote 0
I wouldn't bother with the value resorts ... last year at the AS's all they had were simple trees in the lobby and some minor decorations in the hallway that runs next to the gift shop and food court ... as everyone says, the hotels along the monorail are a must see :xmas:

Upvote 0
This is our very favorite time of year to visit (no plans this year, though:(). Here's what I would recommend:

Breakfast at Contemporary; boat to Wilderness Lodge (must-see decorations in Lobby, then explore the pool/geyser area; note: the garland hung by the pool bar is really cool). Boat to Contemporary or MK, then monorail to Poly. The second floor of the main building has a gingerbread model of the hotel which is really cool, and the decorations throughout the lobby are beautiful. On the main floor, check out Captain Cook's if you want a Dole Whip! Next, monorail to the Grand Floridian. Be sure to check out the lobby with the huge tree and life-size gingerbread house, but also explore the grounds for extensive displays of pointsettias and other holiday plants and decorations.
If time permits, take monorail to the TTC and find your way to the Yacht Club. Explore the lobby of both Yacht and Beach, then walk around the lake to the Boardwalk. All have beautiful displays made of gingerbread and chocolate, plus great trees and garland. A stop at Beaches and Cream for a snack, or at any of the Boardwalk restaurants, for that matter, would probably be wise. Finally, head back to the MK for the best party ever!

I'm so jealous--have a great time!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom